Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Yes we are expecting eye blinding sharp pictures like this folks...
Hmmmm....

I'm not convinced the IQ of this example is superior. The lock's rusting surface appears over-saturated to me and its texture could be masking a ton of weird artifacts. Is it possible to post photos of more common subjects with greater texture diversity?

For example, Frank's costumed girl photographs play smooth and sharp features against each other. Plus, being subjects with which most of are familiar, it's easier to ascertain IQ.

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-20-2010 at 09:18 PM.
11-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Yes Indeed!
Lets kill the soft bugbear here and now.

K5 FA35/2 f3.2 ISO200 with flash on the left

100%

Real pictures are the best proof.
It's soft for me, to say honest.

---------- Post added 11-21-10 at 11:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Just came back from a shooting session. If anything my K-5 is sharper than my K-7. No issue with sharpness, I'm very happy! The only IQ issue I can see is that purple fringing is more visible than K-7. But this is minor and easily fixable. I'm just delighted with the overall IQ.
Do you have FA*24/2?
11-22-2010, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

I got my K-5 two days ago and decided to test what's up with its IQ. Click here, folks: http://algol.nu/~erik/k5-sharpness-test.jpg

ISO 80, tripod, FA50/1.7 at f/8, converted with Lightroom 3.0, sharpened a bit with Nik Sharpener Pro. Focus point is on the Olympus logo.
11-22-2010, 01:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I got my K-5 two days ago and decided to test what's up with its IQ. .
There is nothing wrong with the K-5 IQ.

It is a stupid rumour that has (as usual) got out of hand, started by someone that doesn't have a K-5 but has far too much time on their hands.

As for the 7D - had one, nice camera .. fast AF .. didnt like the IQ .. sent it back. (may try it again one day)

11-22-2010, 03:35 AM   #20

Couple of studio shots from our school. We have a small studio so we have to shoot quite close to the subject and use small apertures. These are about the first studio shots I've ever taken, 3 day intensive studio basics.

Edit: One thing I just remembered, I forgot to turn the SR off while in the studio and using tripod...
Processed in LR3, no resizing, first is sharpened for screen as standard and the 2nd with high setting. The 2nd was shot with Hoya HD cir.polarizer attached.
DA* 50-135 @ f14, ISO 80
http://horsthelmut.kuvat.fi/kuvat/random/Testi-1.jpg/full
http://horsthelmut.kuvat.fi/kuvat/random/Testi2-1.jpg/full

Last edited by Horst-Helmut; 11-22-2010 at 04:01 AM. Reason: More info
11-22-2010, 04:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
There is nothing wrong with the K-5 IQ.

It is a stupid rumour that has (as usual) got out of hand, started by someone that doesn't have a K-5 but has far too much time on their hands.
I know this, of course. The entire discussion is beyond ridiculous, but I wanted to see with my own eyes what the camera was capable of in my own hands. Turns out it's capable of REALLY SHARP, very noise-free results with DR that is frankly amazing, but everyone knew that already, right? I mean, no one ACTUALLY thinks that a camera that scores above the 5D Mark II actually has an inherent resolution problem? Right?

It is a funny sort of irony though that while this is one of the most handholdable cameras yet by virtue of its great high ISO, in reality it will likely require tripods far more than my previous 6MP camera, because I've noticed already that a MINISCULE difference in focus, or MINIMAL hand shake will mean the difference between my-eyes-are-bleeding pixel level sharpness and slight softness. Not to perpetuate a ridiculous discussion, but I think the "OMG IT IS SOFT" people are just not used to this sort of resolution.

Last edited by Erik; 11-22-2010 at 04:27 AM.
11-22-2010, 04:55 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Focus point is on the Olympus logo.
Hah, I see you let the poor camera collect dust

It is a funny sort of irony though that while this is one of the most handholdable cameras yet by virtue of its great high ISO, in reality it will likely require tripods far more than my previous 6MP camera, because I've noticed already that a MINISCULE difference in focus, or MINIMAL hand shake will mean the difference between my-eyes-are-bleeding pixel level sharpness and slight softness.
Or you can simply use the 2 stops won in the high ISO department for 1 stop faster shutter and 1 stop smaller aperture

11-22-2010, 05:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Hah, I see you let the poor camera collect dust
Yeah, I have a K-5 now so...
11-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Well done, JP!
Thanks!

I am expecting to see a lot of SHARP shots here !!

JP

---------- Post added 11-22-10 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Yes Indeed!
Lets kill the soft bugbear here and now.

K5 FA35/2 f3.2 ISO200 with flash on the left

100%

Real pictures are the best proof.
The 100% crop , detailing the eyelashes, does indeed show no softness where the focus was aimed at.

JP

---------- Post added 11-22-10 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I had K7 ever since the first day it's launched here in Singapore, and I've had K5 for 5 weeks now, to be honest, K5 is better than K7 in almost every way other than the out shell which is almost the same but w/ some improvement. If someone say K5 takes softer photos than K7, that's because he is either too excited w/ the camera in hand (so prone to handshake) or he never really used the camera but come to this conclusion by looking at some online samples.

K7 is a great camera, but K5 is simply a better one, in many if not every aspect.

Some photos from a recent Cosplay event:

Excellent display of sharpness!

What is this Cosplay event?
Looks like the "models" are all 12 year old's!

JP

---------- Post added 11-22-10 at 11:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
You would have a hard time getting softies out of any modern DSLR with a decent lens and tyhe focus properly calibrated for the lens.

All these comparison shots are meaningless as both cameras seem to be focusing in different spots. Both the K5 and D7000 are equally sharp if people were to take the time to look around the still lifes and see that different areas are sharp for each camera.
I thought I started this thread without having to worry about comparison shots!
Maybe I am wrong, but I fail to see them here. Better to go back and re-read each post, right?

The point of this thread is not about stills and calibration, nor comparing the K5 to other brands .... it is about putting an end to the earlier attempts to "downgrade" the sharpness of the K5.

Just "sharp" shots is what we want here; no tests, no mathematical polemics.

JP

P.S.: to the Admin: why am I still getting multiple quotes when I just quote each post one at a time? Very annoying!

---------- Post added 11-22-10 at 12:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Yes we are expecting eye blinding sharp pictures like this folks.

An EOS 7D picture

Edit: Hmm, uploaded picture is not seen as sharp as on my computer, I guess forums interpolation affects this, you copy and paste in your favorite image software to see the real thing. I forgot the maximum sizes to prevent resizing by the forums software.
Canon 7D here?

Good image but not in the right thread.

JP

---------- Post added 11-22-10 at 12:35 PM ----------

Can someone please help me to fix this annoying multiplying of posts within one post thing?
I am not using "Multiquote" but the system puts all of the posts I am replying to in succession, in one single post.

I even looged out, twice to make sure, but this is recurring ... non stop.

JP

---------- Post added 11-22-10 at 07:11 PM ----------

I know this, of course. The entire discussion is beyond ridiculous, but I wanted to see with my own eyes what the camera was capable of in my own hands. Turns out it's capable of REALLY SHARP, very noise-free results with DR that is frankly amazing, but everyone knew that already, right? I mean, no one ACTUALLY thinks that a camera that scores above the 5D Mark II actually has an inherent resolution problem? Right?

It is a funny sort of irony though that while this is one of the most handholdable cameras yet by virtue of its great high ISO, in reality it will likely require tripods far more than my previous 6MP camera, because I've noticed already that a MINISCULE difference in focus, or MINIMAL hand shake will mean the difference between my-eyes-are-bleeding pixel level sharpness and slight softness. Not to perpetuate a ridiculous discussion, but I think the "OMG IT IS SOFT" people are just not used to this sort of resolution.
Good post Erik.
+1 on your rep!

I don't think the thread has reached ridiculous levels ... yet ... (hopefully not) but the point is to have some pics showing this sharpness which everyone has been "raving" about.
And we are starting to get some quite nice samples, don't you agree?

Hoping that people will stay away from comparisons and undruly statements and keep this thread as an enjoyable one.

Cheers.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 11-22-2010 at 10:35 AM.
11-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #25
Forum Member

One sharp Chicken, that K-5 is, kicks the D7000 out this world and out of it's misery for sure.
11-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #26

I rather prefer to see my new camera's peak points than comparing it to competition. Each brand is having own particular aspects and may beat the other with it's strongest characteristics. Now I try to understand what K-5 is producing in different hands and taking these examples I try to develop my results with my new K-5. Since 25 years I had the chance to use various Pentax bodies and lenses. No doubt, I can say this is the sharpest body results out of Pentax. The following is one of the early experiments that I had with my new K-5;

Exposure 1/160 - Aperture f/8.0 - Focal Length 100 mm - ISO 100 - Lens Schneider Kreuznach 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

11-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #27
Inactive Account

K5 + A50 1.7 @F8
DNG-ACR

Click on the image to view it in a larger size

Last edited by eigelb; 11-25-2010 at 07:25 AM.
11-24-2010, 05:27 AM   #28
Inactive Account

The death of The Soft K5 urban legend

Below a picture of the Frauenkirche in Dresden/Germany, taken last weekend with the Pentax K-5 and the Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens.
Shot free hand without a tripod, Jpeg o.o.C. only resized.

Regards,
Hartmut
11-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hs57 Quote
Below a picture of the Frauenkirche in Dresden/Germany, taken last weekend with the Pentax K-5 and the Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens.
Nice, colors look very good.
11-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by hs57 Quote
Shot free hand without a tripod, Jpeg o.o.C. only resized.

Regards,
Hartmut
My son took the same photo while he was stationed in Germany. Beautifull building!!