Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photozone.de and K-5's resolution

First impressions:

The JPEG quality is terrible (in terms of pixel-level-sharpness).
The RAW quality is Okayish - 25% blur - which is significant. Based on these initial tests I'd conclude that it has a rather aggressive AA filter.

The max. LW/PH are barely higher than the ones of the K10D. So far for the fanboy criticism that I should have migrated earlier ...

Just to clarify (because the former comment is already cited out there).

K5 @ 16mp:
max. 2500 LW/PH (RAW)
max. 2050 LW/PH (JPEG ****)

For comparison:

A33 @ 14mp:
max. 2850 LW/PH (RAW)
max. 2500 LW/PH (JPEG)

Other than that the K5 seems to be a very fine camera from a user's perspective. Please note that I'm simply requiring a camera for a lab environment and the K5 is not substantially "better" for the lens tests (and only for the lens tests) than the old K10D.

Photozone - Pentax K5 ... ordered -

11-24-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Does that mean the K-5 is just an expensive brick ?
11-24-2010, 02:40 AM   #3

Klaus from Photozone need camera for lens testing
for example D7000 has ~ 2600 LW/PH, but you get more colour moiré
week Anti Aliasing (AA) filter not always good for general photography purposes.

P.S. K-7 don't have higher resolution than K-5.

Last edited by Vaikis_; 11-24-2010 at 02:49 AM.
11-24-2010, 02:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Klaus has a specific function his camera that would be outside the norm and he has said as much. Next question would be is Pentax holding the sensor back because of the current lens lineup?

This is all a complete load of B*&^%$"s of course, now go out and start taking pictures....

11-24-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
The problem is no need to retest Pentax lenses.
11-24-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think that Klaus would have retested the lenses anyway.
11-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #7
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
He had plans to retest.

11-24-2010, 02:59 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
it would be very difficult for him, because he don't own all these lenses. People just send him leneses for testing.
11-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm no expert photographer by any means, and not much of a pixel-peeper, so extreme LW/PH and Pixel-level sharpness aren't things I pay a lot of attention to.

I did use a borrowed Canon 7D on a regular basis before I got the K-5...and the K-5 doesn't lose anything in Image Quality to the 7D, high or low ISOs

So....does the K-5 have superb Image Quality ? Most Certainly...
11-24-2010, 03:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I wonder, in general, do the people who test such acute parameters of equipment actually have a nice portfolio of images, made with any camera/lens that actually warrant merit? Seems a little beyond anal retentive and borders on uber lonely, Spock ear wearing an otherwise sad.

Jason
11-24-2010, 04:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I wonder, in general, do the people who test such acute parameters of equipment actually have a nice portfolio of images, made with any camera/lens that actually warrant merit? Seems a little beyond anal retentive and borders on uber lonely, Spock ear wearing an otherwise sad.

Jason
That's a funny image that may border on the truth sometimes , but remember their work (if done well) can be quite useful to others when purchasing time comes. This is even more important with a brand like Pentax where most of the purchases can not be made in a store where one can try the equipment out first. I for one appreciate this, but then it's best if most of us try to do what you said - create nice photographic images!
11-24-2010, 04:51 AM   #12

Shall it be needed to repete these tests are made on one sample only so they are not representative for all camera, in this case K5. The sample he had could be defective, he could himself be "sleepy" that day ect...
You have to add his test, and all the other tests, to what individuals publish, like all of us on this forum and other forums, even with the IQ limitations of the web.
It gives a better a idea of what a camera is able.
From what I see, the K5 is obviously a great camera, I wont bother too much about one individual test.
11-24-2010, 05:11 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
First impressions:

The JPEG quality is terrible (in terms of pixel-level-sharpness).
The RAW quality is Okayish - 25% blur - which is significant. Based on these initial tests I'd conclude that it has a rather aggressive AA filter.

The max. LW/PH are barely higher than the ones of the K10D. So far for the fanboy criticism that I should have migrated earlier ...

Just to clarify (because the former comment is already cited out there).

K5 @ 16mp:
max. 2500 LW/PH (RAW)
max. 2050 LW/PH (JPEG ****)

For comparison:

A33 @ 14mp:
max. 2850 LW/PH (RAW)
max. 2500 LW/PH (JPEG)

Other than that the K5 seems to be a very fine camera from a user's perspective. Please note that I'm simply requiring a camera for a lab environment and the K5 is not substantially "better" for the lens tests (and only for the lens tests) than the old K10D.

Photozone - Pentax K5 ... ordered -
ogl,

An MTF50 value of 2500 LW/PH for a 3264 pixel high sensor is a measured 10-90% edge rise width of about 1.30 pixels. As one can read in my Understanding Image Sharpness white paper, an ideal camera rendering perfect pixels would have 1.26 pixels exactly. So, the "25% blur is significant" comment is misleading. 26% "blur" is the mathematically perfect value. Therefore, the measured value is a very good balance between sharpening artefacts and detail. It can be shown mathematically that an image sharpened beyond the 1.26px blur width value must have aliasing artefacts (like jaggies).

Klaus uses relative aggressive sharpening parameters and it remains to be seen how sharp a K-5 image renders with normal sharpening parameters. As long as he doesn't communicate sharpening parameters and lens and f-stop used, the figures are meaningless anyway. Sharpening parameters must always be adapted to a cameras AA filter and I'm sure, Klaus is going to do that.
11-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, Klaus is going ahead with the K5, even though he doesn't like it for lab testing any better than the K10?
11-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

My understanding is that Klaus wishes to use the K5 for testing lenses.
If so, I guess he would want to ensure that the camera is not a limiting factor, and he is accordingly swapping the filter to minimise this risk.

If anyone who yesterday loved the images from his/her K5 suddenly finds the IQ a problem because of reading this, they aren't getting out enough.

dave