Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
third party (split) focusing screens

i am using basically the equivalent of the "travor" cheap focusing screen (the dual 45deg flavor) on my k20d (it has been reviewed in a dedicated thread here, along with many others); while i love the k-5, unless i match this functionality i'm in trouble (will end up using the k20d more).

the question is: does the k-7 screen fit the k-5? i think it should be the same thing, but can somebody confirm for certain (maybe by swaping the two, if you have both k-7 and k-5, and see if they match)? the problem is that not many (or any?) split screen sources quote the k-5, yet (but most have screens for the k-7).

i'm also curious if somebody uses a k-7 with a third party screen, wondering if there are any issues seeing as this is a 100% viewfinder, so needs to be quite precisely aligned. any problems with exposure metering (except the obvious spot measuring issue)

thanks

12-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I talked to Rachel Katz (KatzEye screens) about getting one for my K-5 as I already use a third party screen on the K20D. She said she is still working on creating them and at no time indicated I could buy one of her K-7 screens. I would think if they were interchangeable then ebay would be full of listings for screens that fit "K-7 and K-5". Rachel promised to notify me when K-5 screens are available but no word yet. I will post it when she calls.
12-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks. i think i might try to just buy one of the cheaper ones (like the one i have for the k20d) and see how it works.
12-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax screens that are available for the K5 and K7 are the same. So I'm having a bit of a problem to see why the Katzeye's would not be interchangeable.

12-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
i am using basically the equivalent of the "travor" cheap focusing screen (the dual 45deg flavor) on my k20d (it has been reviewed in a dedicated thread here, along with many others); while i love the k-5, unless i match this functionality i'm in trouble (will end up using the k20d more).

the question is: does the k-7 screen fit the k-5? i think it should be the same thing, but can somebody confirm for certain (maybe by swaping the two, if you have both k-7 and k-5, and see if they match)? the problem is that not many (or any?) split screen sources quote the k-5, yet (but most have screens for the k-7).

i'm also curious if somebody uses a k-7 with a third party screen, wondering if there are any issues seeing as this is a 100% viewfinder, so needs to be quite precisely aligned. any problems with exposure metering (except the obvious spot measuring issue)

thanks
Firstly all split screens are third party as Pentax do not make them.
I have been using the Katz Eye splits on the K10 and 20 without any noticeable problems. I believe there are some minor metering issues but I can honestly say I have not noticed. I also use The Katz split on my K7 with the same positive experience. Focusing remains unaffected because the screen does not com into play during focusing.
Please note however the split screens (any screen) for the K10 and 20 won't fit the K7 because the K10-20 and the K7 screens have the little "ear" at the top of the screen reversed.
I cannot live without the split screen, have tried a number of the cheaper ones and the dearer of the cheaper ones are not too bad
nothing will beat the Katz.
Greetings