Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Problems with my Tamron 90mm Macro

Hi,

Has anyone been using Tamron 90mm Macro on K-5 and found that it has problems finding focus? I was just checking today all my lenses on K-5 to see, if any of them need AF adjustment, just to find that K-5 realy doesn't like my macro lens.
The focusing is just erratic. So I thought the focusing would be OK as long as I wasn't trying to focus on objects that are difficult to lock onto ( low contrast objects, objects in the back/foreground ). In almost every case the camera is just focusing back and forth several times and stopping without locking focus on anything. Tried to focus on some simple to focus objects, but K-5 just refuses to find focus. Trying again and again, but focus only locked on the object a couple of times.

So I tried this lens on my old K10D and focusing works much better, not locking focus only a couple of times. And even if it didn't find focus after the first try it locked focus after I pressed the af/shutter button again.

Is it possible that K-5 has problems with this lens, or is the lens?

12-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-5 comes in a few days. I will try out my Tamron 90mm on it and report back.
12-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try it with Live View (pg 165 in the manual)..

12-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Try using the focus limiter too, if you aren't already.

12-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Forum Member

Just tried out the Tamron 90mm with my new K-5. The AF hunts, all right, at macro distances. But this is not bothersome to me because I have always used manual focus with small objects in order to get the focus right on where I want it to be so that the DOF is maximized.

Doubt that there's anything wrong except that the K-5 (which seems to like all my other lenses just fine) is erratic with this particular lens. Going manual solves the problem (at least for me).

Of course two similar reports isn't enough to draw a firm conclusion. We need more.
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
In LiveView AF still works very erratic. Now the camera almost always locks focus, but it isn't focusing correctly. It's just frustrating to listen to the AF motor as it is kicking around lens' focusing mechanism, like it has no clue where to lock focus. I tried the FA 50 and LiveView works OK with it.
With Tamron it's making random back and front focused shots. And it's not missing focus by just a few centimetres it's missing focus by 20, 30cm or more.

When I shake the lens it's making a sound like there is some screw or something loose in it. Could be that this is messing with focus? The lens works fine with K10D though. DAMN IT!
12-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter

My K5 + Tammy 90/2.8 works just like it does on the K20D. Took less adjustment than most of my lenses.

12-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Try using the focus limiter too, if you aren't already.
The camera is not haunting for focus, it's trying to find focus ( going back and forth a few centimetres around the focusing plane ), but just can't make a lock on focus.

In LiveView it is haunting for focus, misses focus completely but makes a lock.

As I said before it sometimes makes perfectly good AF lock - both in LiveView and when I'm not using LiveView.

Well could be, that Pentax is trying to tell us that we need to buy their new WR macro.
12-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Forum Member

Did some more experimenting this afternoon with the Tammy 90 and the K-5. Turns out my earlier experiments were with low indoor (twisty fluorescent bulbs) lighting on polished and shiny surfaces, like a stainless steel salt-and-pepper shaker. That would discombobulate anything. This afternoon I tried flowers illuminated by window light and the Tammy AF nailed focus every time. I don't think this is going to be much of a problem. AprilFool, what kind of light were you using?
12-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't have the K5, but I had this lens for my K7. I bought it used but still under warranty. It had a similar focusing problem and consistently overexposed. I too heard something rattling around when I'd turn the lens over or shake it gently. To make a long story shorter, it turned out that the apreture was not stopping down properly and there was definitely something wrong with the autofocus. When I received the lens back from repair the autofocus was fast and accurate with no further rattling either. If your lens is still under warranty, I'd send it in for repair. If not, I'd still send it in because it is a great lens. By the way, it was sent in for repair at the beginning of the week and was returned by the end of the same week. Whatever was rattling around must have been very obvious because it was such a quick fix.
12-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I don't have the K5, but I had this lens for my K7. I bought it used but still under warranty. It had a similar focusing problem and consistently overexposed. I too heard something rattling around when I'd turn the lens over or shake it gently. To make a long story shorter, it turned out that the apreture was not stopping down properly and there was definitely something wrong with the autofocus. When I received the lens back from repair the autofocus was fast and accurate with no further rattling either. If your lens is still under warranty, I'd send it in for repair. If not, I'd still send it in because it is a great lens. By the way, it was sent in for repair at the beginning of the week and was returned by the end of the same week. Whatever was rattling around must have been very obvious because it was such a quick fix.
I have the K-5 and a Tamron 90mm macro as well. No problems with the AF like them that AprilFool reports. I have calibrated the lens and with the K20D I got -1, with the K-7 +9 and with the K-5 +7. No special hunting otherwise than normal, considering the kind of object focused in every case.
Thus, to me it seems that loveisageless has found the clue: send your lens to repair! I really agree that the Tamron is a great lens, very sharp and nice indeed, so I really hope that you can get it working for you, AprilFool!
12-28-2010, 04:09 AM   #12

Original Poster
I was testing my Tammy indoors, both in well lit daylight conditions and later in the evening with tungsten, with no significant difference in performance.

I do like my Tammy, it is a superb lens and will definitely send it in for a check-up and repair. Since it is no longer under warranty, I hope that it really is just a minor fault.
12-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did some testing this morning with the Tamron 90 and found none of the issues you described. I began to wonder about all lenses as I had been using my FA 31 and DA* 16-50 almost exclusively. Everything is working superbly, I even performed the front and back focus testing with the chart (FocusTestChart.com byTim Jackson). Good luck with the repairs.
12-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can confirm that my Tamron 90mm behaves like that of the OP on my K5, although it sounds like the behavior in my lens may not be as pronounced. On my K20D the focusing is more decisive.
12-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by AprilFool Quote
The camera is not haunting for focus
Your English is excellent, but do you mind if I correct you here?

Ghosts "haunt" people. Lenses "hunt" for focus, like hunters trying to shoot animals.

Everyone here understood what you said, but I thought you would want to know about this minor spelling error.