Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dustdevils, stains and halo's

So I received my fourth body and did a test.....
Oh nooo, some specs which did show the "halo effect".....
Well, at leat no strings of stains but the "halo"effect was one of the key features of the stain.... So here I was again....
Someone said "try cleaning anyway" and I did... While I did find that my blower was very dirty (many new specs) the original specs were gone and many of the new specs also had the halo....

So I think the halo effect is NOT typical of the stains but may occur with certain dust specs as well... Maybe we can eliminate quite a few stained bodies after all....

Diffraction around dust particles?? maybe in combination with the pixel density??

02-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well Janneman, I agree, Pentax is delivering new camera's with dirty sensors, new out of the box.
Mine had the same problem.
Somebody at Quality Control of the Pentax factory should his/her's ass kicked!

About the Rocket Blower, I had a new blower where some of the solvent of the rubber was still inside the blower.
The blower was packaged in a plastic bubble, preventing the solvents to evaporate.

My first cleaning action, like yours, removed all specs, but introduced new rubber specs sticking onto the sensor.
I had to WET CLEAN the sensor to get it off!

Several month later now the blower is fine...

Good luck with that.

- Bert
02-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #3

So all is well?

Sounds as if all is well and with some routine cleaning you will have a great camera.
02-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mgm2 Quote
Sounds as if all is well and with some routine cleaning you will have a great camera.
Yes I think so, but what struck me is the halo-like appearance of mere dust specks as that was said to be the sign of stains....

02-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
So I think the halo effect is NOT typical of the stains but may occur with certain dust specs as well... Maybe we can eliminate quite a few stained bodies after all....

I found this on the sensor after running some video: 100% crop. Background was a yellowed wall.

Halo and all.... What say you?
02-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote

Halo and all.... What say you?
Nased on all previous stain reports (until I stopped readin them ) I'd say, "stain" but now that I have found ordinary dust looks like that as well I am inclined to say "dust". Just give it a few blows with a blower and you will see what happens...
02-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Nased on all previous stain reports (until I stopped readin them ) I'd say, "stain" but now that I have found ordinary dust looks like that as well I am inclined to say "dust". Just give it a few blows with a blower and you will see what happens...
And that is exactly what I tried first after the "Oh hell" and that is all it took to rid myself of that "Stain". I also wonder how many dust cases went back due to that halo.

02-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
And that is exactly what I tried first after the "Oh hell" and that is all it took to rid myself of that "Stain". I also wonder how many dust cases went back due to that halo.
Hehe, my previous three bodies did have them in strings so I am more or less innocent but yeah, I am wondering about that as well.
02-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #9

Hi all,

I had the same problem. After first body with stain I receive second with this spots visible from f16 and up. Two spots first in line and after some photos third one. I take a risk and use a racket blower and guess what: they disappeared. All have a small halo around, but it seems it is just dust.

02-20-2011, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I don't think it's a very good idea to create a post each time someone found some dust on a sensor...
02-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Well Janneman, I agree, Pentax is delivering new camera's with dirty sensors, new out of the box.
Mine had the same problem.
Somebody at Quality Control of the Pentax factory should his/her's ass kicked!

About the Rocket Blower, I had a new blower where some of the solvent of the rubber was still inside the blower.
The blower was packaged in a plastic bubble, preventing the solvents to evaporate.

My first cleaning action, like yours, removed all specs, but introduced new rubber specs sticking onto the sensor.
I had to WET CLEAN the sensor to get it off!

Several month later now the blower is fine...

Good luck with that.

- Bert
I have also heard that old buna-N rubber can give off an oil (but hopefully, mfr would not use a rubber like that) I keep my rocket blower in a zip lock baggy. But i think its unwise for anyone to use a blower with suspected dirt or oil in it. buying a new one is cheaper than recovering from a dirty old one - i think.
02-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I have also heard that old buna-N rubber can give off an oil (but hopefully, mfr would not use a rubber like that) I keep my rocket blower in a zip lock baggy. But i think its unwise for anyone to use a blower with suspected dirt or oil in it. buying a new one is cheaper than recovering from a dirty old one - i think.
Well, that did not work for me.

I had stains on my K10D 2 years ago, went to the camera shop and bought a brand new Rocket Blower. Took it out of the plastic bubble and used it...
That's when it sprayed small rubber particles on my sensor.

Now the blower is fine... I prefer old ones

- Bert
02-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Well, that did not work for me.

I had stains on my K10D 2 years ago, went to the camera shop and bought a brand new Rocket Blower. Took it out of the plastic bubble and used it...
That's when it sprayed small rubber particles on my sensor.

Now the blower is fine... I prefer old ones

- Bert
Yikes - now we have to worry about blowers with halo's - its all getting so complicated
02-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Oli minunkin K-5 paikallisessa Pentax takuhuollossa 10 pv tahrojen takia. Tuli takaisin kaikki piti olla kunnossa ja luki viestissä ei enään vikoja. Innoissani otin heti testikuvat ja pääsi itku, kun tahrat oli samoilla paikoilla, kun ennen huoltoakin. Lähetin huoltoon sähköpostia mallikuvat ennen ja jälkeen huollon. Soitin viellä huoltoon ja ja selvitin tämän siellä pyysivät lähtämään kameran takaisin huoltoon. Nytten on K-5 ollut 11 pv reissussa ja jännitän onko tullut lisää tahroja vai onko entiset vain pahentuneet. En silti K-5 mielelläni vaihda johonkin Canoni tai Nikoni.
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

100% crop from a ISO80 f/22 shot of the sky today. Good news is that those three specks are visible on the sensor. Bad news is that they don't come off with a blower.