Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Message from the Camera Store

I contacted my local camera store about the low light issues I was having with my K5 and the comparison I done with the K10 D. Well at same settings lens etc the K10 won. The K5 put as a purple tint on black and a grey areas becomes a shade of purple. Also every lens I have gives of purple fringes on some highlight areas. I took comparison shots and the K10 was sharper in spot focused areas.
Along with this I told him of the mirror going crazy sometimes and nearly jumps out of the camera. He contacted Aus distributer and there response was that they knew nothing about focusing or low light problend and never heard of mirror slapping.
Their responce was. We will email Japan and ask them. Not holding my breath waiting.

John

Last edited by campdog; 03-19-2011 at 10:40 PM.
03-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would just go ahead and have the camera exchanged. Sounds like your unit is somehow damaged (perhaps physically?).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would just go ahead and have the camera exchanged. Sounds like your unit is somehow damaged (perhaps physically?).
Do they have to exchange it. Im not happy with it and dont want to take it to the US if not confident.
Not surre how I would go getting it exchanged.Wouldnt they need to check it out first to find the problems.
John
03-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you buy it from your local camera store?

In Australia we have strong consumer protection laws and if something is not working when you buy it, they have to give you your money back or exchange for a working copy. If they can do it quickly, you might accept them fixing it. If you bought it at the local shop, they should do all the hard work and give you working product or your money back. If you bought overseas then you do not have these protections.

03-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
In Australia we have strong consumer protection laws and if something is not working when you buy it, they have to give you your money back or exchange for a working copy. If they can do it quickly, you might accept them fixing it. If you bought it at the local shop, they should do all the hard work and give you working product or your money back. If you bought overseas then you do not have these protections.
Thanks Matthew. Got it from Local Store and he is contacting CR Kennedy. They want to contact Japan as they say they are unaware of focusing problems. The mirror problem doesnt happen all the time but done it the other day on 2 second delay as well, before that when shooting at a car show.It. Might just take it back to store and get them to send it back for repairs or replacement.
John
03-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

If you purchased the camera in Australia, CR Kennedy (Pentax Distributor in Australia) will organise the warranty repair. As suggested before, I recommend that you ask to exchange the camera.

Last edited by hcc; 03-20-2011 at 04:22 PM.
03-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

Bout the purple tint, are you aware that there is a known issue introduced by the latest RAW processing update by Apple for Aperture, that only affects DNG (PEF are OK)? it you are using Aperture on a mac, and you are shooting DNG RAWs, this is probably the cause of the purple tint. Switch to PEF format, and it goes away.

03-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paolo.Bosetti Quote
Bout the purple tint, are you aware that there is a known issue introduced by the latest RAW processing update by Apple for Aperture, that only affects DNG (PEF are OK)? it you are using Aperture on a mac, and you are shooting DNG RAWs, this is probably the cause of the purple tint. Switch to PEF format, and it goes away.
I had this when Aperture updated itself - I went back to a previous version but it updated itself again ! LoL.

However there is a very simple cure (until Apple fix this themselves) - simply hit Auto Curves (colour) and it's gone. You can do this as a batch job too rather than one by one.
03-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paolo.Bosetti Quote
I use Lightromm and shoot in Raw + jpeg and in DNG. Just spent an hour or so in a shaded area shooting raw + jpeg and never uploaded before as Lightroom only imports raw for me. I set it up that way to keep jpeg seperate.
Ill let the camera shop know tomorrrow that the body is going back. I want to be confident when I take it to the US in May.
Thanks again
John
03-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
Just compared jpeg and DND and jpeg definetly sharper and more vibrant straight off the card.
03-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The default jpeg on the k5 is the "bright" mode, which is tweaked for general impact and sharpness. The .DNG is totally unprocessed, so it will always be somewhat dull, and less sharp compared to the jpeg. Some like the more natural look, especially as a starting point for PP. In Aperture, I have a preset on import, which adjusts the following: Contrast 0.05, Definition 0.05, Saturation 1.05, Sharpness: Intensity 0.81, Edges .22, Falloff .69. These are all very subtle adjustments (just one click on the adjustment slider for each). This combination gives the .DNG or .PEF image a very similar appearance to the K5 default "bright" .jpeg - more pop, especially noticeable as brighter colors and sharpness. I personally find the resulting colors in the adjusted RAW images more natural and pleasing than the camera processed .jpegs. In Aperture, those sharpness settings can be achieved just by pressing the shortcut keys Ctrl-S. I'm sure Lightroom and other PP programs have similar settings to the above available. If you like that look, setting up a default import preset saves a lot of work.
03-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
I contacted my local camera store about the low light issues I was having with my K5 and the comparison I done with the K10 D. Well at same settings lens etc the K10 won. The K5 put as a purple tint on black and a grey areas becomes a shade of purple. Also every lens I have gives of purple fringes on some highlight areas. I took comparison shots and the K10 was sharper in spot focused areas.
Along with this I told him of the mirror going crazy sometimes and nearly jumps out of the camera. He contacted Aus distributer and there response was that they knew nothing about focusing or low light problend and never heard of mirror slapping.
Their responce was. We will email Japan and ask them. Not holding my breath waiting.

John
This sounds more like a warranty issue than something that an internet forum can help you with.
Have you considered going that route?
03-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Nytten on kaikki päivitetyt K-5 kunnossa. Enään ei väärää infoa nikon ja canon nämä ovat vain jotakin merkkejä joista K-5 käyttäjät eivät ole kiinostuneita.
03-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
Ill let the camera shop know tomorrrow that the body is going back. I want to be confident when I take it to the US in May.
If you want it by May, don't delay - CR Kennedy are taking their time with my K-5 stained sensor warranty service. 24 days and still no word.
03-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like the unit you bought is not 'fit for purpose'. Which under Australian law means you can ask for an exchanged unit, rather than a repair. It is clearly damaged in some way.