Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

Microphone with K-5

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

After video recording some church events with my K-5, I realized that I really need an external mic.

Are there any forum members using External mics? and if so what is recommended?

Are there mic settings for sensitivity or direction of sound.

I was reading one thread that the K-5 made a blip in the recording when up loaded to YouTube. I will be putting the videos on the church website but not with YouTube. Will there still be a sound blip?

04-21-2011, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RØDE Microphones - StereoVideoMic

And then there are alternatives;

Stereo Video Shotgun Mic for Pentax K-7 on eBay.ca (item 230498691749 end time 09-May-11 12:52:03 EDT)

I've seen a few others on eBay(on the course of time) but I can't seem to find them anymore. TBH. I'd most likely settle on the RODE mic mainly for its reputation and accessory options.
04-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks John, The Rode SVM looks really nice. I see that it is $250 at B&H. I will begin my internet shopping for the best deal.
04-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The Rode is very good, I have it too.

When distance to your sound grows then maybe a shotgun mic is better.

04-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
Are there any examples on the web of External mic being used with the K-5?

Distance is definitely a concern with a mic, especially when trying to capture a group activity in a loud gym.

I really don't know anything about microphones but I would like to have a mic that will cut down on background/side noise.

04-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Babbs Quote
Are there any examples on the web of External mic being used with the K-5?
Well what exemple are you looking for

Just to show off
04-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
WOW, Nice Setup!!!!

Silver K-5, 40mm Limited, with a Rode SVM Mic.

04-21-2011, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Banned

Well a few examples:

This is K-5 with FA*85mm and Rode mic. Even in a noisy environment you can make a clear sound:

This is what you get when you forget to pack the mic (because I didn't pland to go to the pressmeeting), just internal mic from K-7. On my TV with sound loud you can here it, but with a lot of noise. Taken at 4-5 meters.

This is with K-7and DA*55mm and the mic with extensioncord (2 meters) just infront of me.
04-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
to get good audio you really want the mic on a boom and have it near the source of the sound.
in which case you may as well just use external recording imo.
04-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The Audio-Technica PRO-24 CM is around $70-80 and pretty good.

I would not recommend the RODE SVM for use with a K-5 - pairing a $250 mic with 32 kHz sampling and forced AGC seems to me like a bad idea and a waste of money. If you go beyond the PRO-24 go with a standalone recorder. I don't have experience with them yet, but the Zoom H series are fairly well regarded especially for providing excellent price/performance. I'm very close to pulling the trigger in an H2 for surround recording.
04-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Rode shotgun stereo video mic as recommended by B&H (in their K5 accessory list) works well for me but I must admit to doing no tests other than "yep, it works" tests. It was $149 as I recall.
01-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #12

I searched this and a couple of other threads for someone who asks, "Why are some recommending stereo microphones for a camera which produces a mono 32kHz 512kbps PCM file as its output audio stream?" I don't see any such question so I'll ask it myself. Stereo in does not result in stereo out. Furthermore, why recommend a switched level (Rode, Senn) mic for a camera with AGC which cannot be defeated? All you are likely to get is a "hiss setting" (low) and a "no hiss setting" (high). The sound capability of the K-5 is terribly limited. No one would use it seriously for music, I am sure. I can see why a cheap external mono mic might give some benefits, but possibly not a lot.
01-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this Rode mic: http://www.amazon.com/Rode-VideoMic-Directional-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B000...7756378&sr=8-1. It seems to work pretty well. It has held up pretty well over time, although I don't do a lot of heavy duty videoing either.

For those who do a lot, getting a separate recording device and syncing after the fact is probably beneficial.
01-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have this Rode mic: Amazon.com: Rode VideoMic Directional Video Condenser Microphone w/Mount: Musical Instruments. It seems to work pretty well. It has held up pretty well over time, although I don't do a lot of heavy duty videoing either.

For those who do a lot, getting a separate recording device and syncing after the fact is probably beneficial.
Yes, something like the Zoom H1 for instance. I was thinking of that myself. But, synchronizing is such a tedious task in an editor, and not all editors make it convenient to do either. I would like to hear from someone who does that and is happy with the process, to learn how they like to do it. I am disappointed that Pentax did not go with stereo for the K-5. How much sense does it make to offer HD video with only Monaural audio?
01-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used the AudioTechnica Pro88W wireless system on camcorders, which should also work fine on the K-5. This uses a battery powered receiver which outputs mic-level sound to the camera input jack, and it has a shoe-mount to clip on the camera. The mic can be either lapel or hand-held. Works great when a long distance from the subject.