Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got my new K5 but possible issue, uploaded a video of it...

I got my K5 yesterday but am wondering if I should take it back as it makes a weird sensor "flopping" when I put it into live mode. It doesn't seem to do this when put into movie mode interestingly enough, and only seems to do it when LV is first turned on. When the camera is moved around is slows down and stops. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all if LV is turned off and back on, but turning the power off reproduces the situation 75% of the time.

I tried a search and saw no posts on this and wondering is this a unusual issue, or is it normal and just need to the sensor to adjust to movement before being ok for LV. I've never seen this son my K7, which I used to record it.

the video uploaded here:

It's uploading as I post this so you may have to refresh if you view it shortly after I click submit.

Opinions please,

Last edited by Dr_who; 04-24-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: changed link for video
04-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's just the SR system at work- you must have it disabled during movie mode, hence no sound.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
its not just the sound thou, if you look at the picture on the LCD, the bear is moving up and down up and down, even thou its on a tripod and the bear is stationary on a stool.

You can see when I tilt teh tripod and lay it back down the stuttering of the picture stops.
04-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
its not just the sound thou, if you look at the picture on the LCD, the bear is moving up and down up and down, even thou its on a tripod and the bear is stationary on a stool.

You can see when I tilt teh tripod and lay it back down the stuttering of the picture stops.
Looked at the video, that looks extremely strange.. The only idea I have is that maybe you're using a manual (A-series?) lens and input wrong focal length (for example, 800mm for a 50mm lens or something). Even if that was the case, the screen would just jerk around, not jump like it does in yours, and it won't go to normal after you tilt.

You might get more advice if you post the video to youtube, downloading ~100mb of video is not very convenient.

04-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll post it on youtube as well, I was just in a rush to post it to see if I can get some quick responses to decide what I'm going to do tomorrow. I guess the easiest thing would be to go back to the store and look at another one in store and turn on the LV and see if it does the same thing or not.

Steven
04-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Does this happen when you start up LV when the camera isn't on the tripod?

- Jason
04-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
The only idea I have is that maybe you're using a manual (A-series?) lens and input wrong focal length (for example, 800mm for a 50mm lens or something).
I was using the FA Pentax 50mm 1.4 lens. I have tried different lenses thou and still get the same result.

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
Does this happen when you start up LV when the camera isn't on the tripod?

- Jason
Yes, the reason I put it on the tripod was to avoid people saying I probably have shaky hands and it can't adjust.

I've tried putting Shake reduction off while taking a picture, and turning LV on, and I still get teh same results. Maybe SR is always on in LV, or there is another setting all together that turns SR off in LV. I've uploaded it to youtube and updated the link above to reflect that. It does always seem that the movment is on the left hand side and not the right hand side as well.

04-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Something is definitely wrong here.
04-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Forum Member

SR should be turned off on tripod or you will get this odd action, so it seem that SR is always on when LV is on
first time i left SR on with my k20d on tripod i freaked out
04-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
SR should be turned off on tripod or you will get this odd action, so it seem that SR is always on when LV is on
This would be my bet. Simply because when you actually Move the camera, the shaking stops (which means the SR is working). Turn SR off and try it again. If it Still does it, Then something is wrong.

Edit.. Rather, it would have been my bet if I could make mine do the same thing, which I cannot.

04-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
This does happen while hand held as well. I just don't have enough hands to hold the K5, and my K7 to record it very well When hand held, I have to resort to tilting the camera to the sky to get it to stop the flutter on the left hand side as well.
04-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #12

I would suggest to send this video to Pentax (or detailed description first), along with settings used and lens and ask why this happens.
04-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
This does happen while hand held as well. I just don't have enough hands to hold the K5, and my K7 to record it very well When hand held, I have to resort to tilting the camera to the sky to get it to stop the flutter on the left hand side as well.
couldn't you put the K-7 on the tripod and record you holding the K-5?

Anyways, definitely send the video to Pentax, it isn't normal.

To avoid any confusion on their end, I'd show that SR is off in the video.
04-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My Live View doesn't do this. Something is wrong in that video.
04-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #15
Banned

That is not normal. So I do beleave that it is as Adam says the SR, but it is not functioning normal.