Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Dust underneath K-5 LCD screen!!!

I have had this camera just a few weeks, and have already collected a ton of dust underneath the LCD screen. I thought the K5 is supposed to be weather resistant? Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed.

So my question here - how long does Pentax service usually take? I want them to clean out the dust, and correct whatever problem exists with the weather sealing that is letting all this dust in. I'm located on the east coast in Maryland, and am wondering how long to expect to be without the camera?

Thanks.

05-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably a few weeks...
05-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I cannot speak to the servicing, but the dust has probably come from use of a zoom lens that is pulling in dust (or already has lots of dust in it). That air from when you zoom has to come from and go to somewhere. But unless you have been shooting in really dusty conditions, there may very well be something wrong that is causing all this dust to accumulate under the LCD screen.
05-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
nah

I just noticed my K-5 has the same problem and I've had it for about 5 weeks. I don't think it has anything to do with the weather seals, it's air pressure sucking in dust.

I have dust in my K20 too. You can't even notice it when the LCD is on.

05-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
nah

Ok I take it back. The dust under my K-5 is bugging me and worst than I thought. At least it looks like it's getting worst.

My question is, anyone else have a dust problem? Or is this is a random issue?
05-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #6

damn it... I have the same LCD dust issue on my K-5 with few weeks use.

I sent a letter to Pentax Japan service center to complain this issue, and got an "official" response that asking me to send the camera back for cleaning. They didn't mention if there will be a "solution" to solve this issue.

To me, I do seriously concern about the WR (weather resistant) on K-5 if there are so many LCD dust claims around the world, and I didn't get a satisfied answer from the service center if this LCD dust issue will come back later.
05-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
nah

I actually checked my K20 and didn't have dust issues I thought I had.

It goes through the same rigors as my K-5 and the K-5 is full of dust. It doesn't affect IQ BUT it does affect your analysis of the shot you just took.

I wonder if this dust issue will be as rampant as the stain issue? I was reading some older issues with the K-7 and it seems like some people had dust issues too. The problem that was found was that the seals around the LCD protector wasn't sealed completely and it allowed dust to get in.

After all my problems with my K20D and Pentax repair and now this dust issue. I will have to rethink about supporting Pentax in the future.

05-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the K5 since 4 weeks. Two weeks ago I was out in nature for a hiking trip ... and observed the same thing with my K5. Dust (think it's pollen) under the foil covering the LCD monitor. Maybe it's a protection foil that I can change by myself? Until now I didn't ask in the store where I bought the camera.
05-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
nah

Here's a thread about dust with the K-7 which is the same body.

K-7 Dust under LCD?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
05-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #10

OMG!!!!

My sliver k5 got the same problem and I just brought it for 8 days!!

Does anybody know how will Pentax service to clean it? Just remove the LCD cover or have to disassemble it?
05-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
Here's a thread about dust with the K-7 which is the same body.

K-7 Dust under LCD?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Thank you! It helps a lot, I think maybe I should try to fix it by myself.
05-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #12

Well, you can see how bad this LCD dust issue is now... I have no idea how the dust went underneath the LCD, but clearly that I can't clean it by myself.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 3  Photo 
05-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
nah

Yup, mine is just as bad.

That's terrible QC, now I have to spend money and time to send back a new body.

As far as I'm concerned, Pentax should really be paying the shipping for problems that are in their control.
05-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just noticed it today... SAME thing, though mine is mostly along the bottom. Needless to say, I am very very upset about it. I really do not want to send away my brand new camera for weeks just to be cleaned of dust that shouldn't be there in the first place.

I will say this... I don't think it's been there long because I would have noticed it. I'm starting to think the 18-135 (that I tried out yesterday for the first time) might be the culprit... sucking in dust?

anyone else with this problem using the 18-135 WR or 18-55 WR? Faulty sealing/suction? Something else?

Anyone have ideas how to clean it?
05-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've taken both my K-5 and K-x (not sealed at all) into all sorts of environments from my very, very dusty apartment to hiking trails, with plenty of long zooming action with my 55-300 (also not sealed at all) and the 18-135. Dust absolutely everywhere on the outside of the body and lenses, and especially on top of and around the LCD.

But underneath the LCD cover? Spotless on both cameras. I'd say a faulty seal is at work here.

Last edited by Cannikin; 05-13-2011 at 02:10 PM.