Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
**UPDATE**

I have to ammend my statement about it being very isolated. I was out for a more extended time with the camera today and had the battery go low, so I swapped the battery with spare, and I heard the shutter go as the new battery was inserted. Then the shutter would spaz when turned on. And wouldn't stop until turned off. Pulling out the memory card even made the shutter go even when turned off. I swapped to the low battery and it seems ok, put the other battery in question and same issue arose. I have my low battery in now in the charger. But it looks like I can only use the one battery. But I'll have to do more testing after I'm off work.

05-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #17

I have the same problem on MY K-5 yesterday. Firmware 1.03 and Using the original battery (full-charged), the mirror will double-slap (or thrice )when half-press shuttet button , but no photo is taken. I have mailed this issue to pentax (japan) and wait for response.
05-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I wanted to blame the battery but after doing more testing on it today, its not just the one battery. And when it does go into spaz mode, the shutter goes off with the press of any button. Pressing the menu button and ever press of the 4 way controller makes the shutter go off. Quite frustrating, I may have to ask my friend who I gave my K7 too, to lend it on vacation as a backup as K5 is not trustworthy at all. I really hope its a firmware thing, and not requiring me to get my 3rd K5 body.
05-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's disappointing that problems seems to be not leaving k-5, Pentax should really relook the design/ firmware.

05-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #20

Dr who - Sorry to read your post. Did you say how often it happens.
I am starting to think this is a fixable parts problem. Like Pentax got a bunch of bad shutter button assy, ckt bd or whatever. Lots of choices. Pentax needs to figure it out.
I think this because if it were anything more dooming there would be a flood of people reporting this problem. I see more then a few but not a flood yet. Most everyone has FW 1.03 so if it were the code you would think this problem would be very widespread.
If you send it in I would ask for a replacement camera. It's cheaper for Pentax to replace the camera then chase this random problem with parts and labor without knowing the root cause. Especially since it seems to be with only a small number of cameras right now.

Last edited by jcp5; 06-01-2011 at 02:36 AM.
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think it's a problem with the shutter/mirror not resetting properly. I've noticed that when the camera is intermittently buggy, the viewfinder image is ever so slightly different when the mirror comes down, and the next shot will be a "double slap". Then it resets back to the correct position and the next few shots are back to normal.

It's such a shame to have to send the K-5 for repair and have to shoot with my backup K20D. The K-5 is orders of magnitude better.
05-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I had a dentist appointment so I wasn't able to fit going to the camera store before work, but I did fool around with it today and now its working with both batteries. Sigh. I'll have to give it another run of photos tomorrow and if something comes up stop by the store.

05-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #23

I try to downgrade firmware to 1.02 (japan) and test this issue.
05-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

let us know if it resolves anything with the downgrade in firmware. I honestly not sur eif that would help. The problem could be in old firmware of just presented in new one. Worth a try however.
05-22-2011, 02:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Highland Quote
I am starting to think this is a fixable parts problem. Like Pentax got a bunch of bad shutter button assy,ckt bd or whatever. I think this because if it were anything more dooming there would be a flood of people reporting this problem. I see more then a few but not a flood yet. Most everyone has FW 1.03 so if it were the code you would think this problem would be very widespread????
This sounds very plausible. The two dates given for production time were both January 2011 & I haven't seen or heard of this issue previously.

Sorry to hear of your issues guys. Fir everyone else I'd say check the production dates pn any new K5 you are planning to buy to potentially avoid this problem if it is a bad batch of parts.

In passing : why don't Pentax just add US$20 to the cost of the K5 and give everyone a two year warranty !
05-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #26

I try to downgrade firmware to 1.02 , use Hex Editor to edit bin file then do upgrade again . The firmware version always show 1.03.22.11, can't rewrite successfully.
05-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #27

I had the same problem. It started happening about two months after purchase with firmware 1.02 and the upgrade to 1.03 didn't resolve the issue. So I don't think this problem has anything to do with firmware.

The automatic mirror flipping when focusing was really random, at least in my case. But the guy at the pentax service store make it happen by flicking the mirror while pressing the shutter button half-way. He never saw or heard of this problem before. Well after a week in service they just gave me a new one.
05-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boss Quote
I had the same problem. It started happening about two months after purchase with firmware 1.02 and the upgrade to 1.03 didn't resolve the issue. So I don't think this problem has anything to do with firmware.

The automatic mirror flipping when focusing was really random, at least in my case. But the guy at the pentax service store make it happen by flicking the mirror while pressing the shutter button half-way. He never saw or heard of this problem before. Well after a week in service they just gave me a new one.
Be good if everyone can list the S/N and date of manufacturing of their camera.
05-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #29

Mine was Manufactured January 9 2011

Serial Number 3970676176545

05-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Be good if everyone can list the S/N and date of manufacturing of their camera.
Even better to include the S/N, date of manufacture, and description of the issue in the serial number database on this forum.