Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clicking Noise in Audio

I am concerned about the clicking noise. I'm thinking maybe RFI from the cell tower across the street? Anyone have a similar problem?

06-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #2

Dave,
both my K5's - the one returned to shop cause of stains suspected and the new one - do the same thing occasionally. And know what? I don't really care, sorry (I don't shot video, at least today)

As a workaround I see two ways to go:
- try using some external plug-in microphone. I'm not sure whether it works or not, gonna give it 70\30
- try using external sound recording device (lots of these pocket babies are widely available at almost every shop). You'll only need to synchronize the tracks and the best way here is to snap your fingers either at the beginning or at the end of video track. All the video editing/authoring software that I'm aware of supports adding/mixing external audio tracks

Good luck,
Zig
06-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I remember reading somewhere that it's simply a result of YouTube's transcoding when you upload clips there. If I recall correctly, if you transcode the clip yourself into some other format, THEN upload to YouTube, there won't be any clicks.

Sorry I can't provide further details -- you might want to search PF, as I'm pretty sure I read it on this site somewhere.
06-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

it most definitely is the way youtube transcodes it. same thing happens on facebook for me. drove me nuts. i'm too lazy to re-encode it another time...hehe video is one thing i hardly ever touch with my K-5

06-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just made 8 videos with my K-5, no clicking sound like that . I used Window Live Movie Maker and loaded them in YouTube in HD
06-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Here's the thread I remember reading:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/131842-thump-sound-video.html#post1462589
06-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #7

QS,
my K5's were giving the same clicking even if there was no internet connection to the machine which I used for video and photo postprocessing. That's not a youtube thing.

Zig

P.S.
To me it sounds like smth electrostatic, probably pentax boys missed something when they were working on K-5 microphone design. Either it's smth wrong with the mic or its amplifier or the audio (sub-)system design chosen is too sensitive for environment variations and thus can pass q'n'a test in lab conditions but starts go clipping/clicking in real life.

[EDIT]

Just checked out that link. Well... Unfortunately I didn't go that deep into video authoring as much as I've gone with audio. A friend of mine told me once that those who shoot video are always complaining about formats, codecs and there inter(in)compatibility. Right now I'm ready to suggest that motion JPEG codec used in K-5 isn't that clear and straight-forward on the audio codec description and thus different s/w can interpret it in different ways. In this case further firmware update (if happened to be released and addressed to this issue) can get it solved. Fingers x'd for those of us who shoot video with their K-5's!

Last edited by Siegfried; 06-02-2011 at 04:09 PM.
06-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm getting a similar noise, but it is a much more rapid crackling sound.

Could it be the speed of the SD card? I'm only using a class 4 card. The camera sales rep said I should use a class 6 or faster card.
06-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Try a different player, it all depends on the codecs used. Some "clicks" some don't.
06-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Try a different player, it all depends on the codecs used. Some "clicks" some don't.
It does it for me in Windows Media Player and Quick Time Player.

Also does it from the camera's internal speaker when playing back on the camera.

Again, I suspect (hope) it is simply a problem with the card being only class 4.
06-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #11

sebberry,
My clicks keep on clicking even if it's scandisk extreme III ultra-mega-something. Probably it's indeed worth trying it with some other software (or go on with external audio recording devices).

Zig
06-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

There's always something that Pentax drops the ball on, isn't there.

How does this crap pass QC?
06-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
This is the 1st video footage (shot at 720p) from my K-5.[/url] I am concerned about the clicking noise. I'm thinking maybe RFI from the cell tower across the street? Anyone have a similar problem?
I also have this problem when I upload raw k-5 footage to vimeo:

After post-process, that sound gone. Don't really know what that sound come from. I suspect is when youtube/vimeo convert raw k-5 footage something happen there with the audio codec?

Even though no one upload raw footage nowadays without processing them, this is still annoying. You can see that on my video another person asking the same question.

Lee
08-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Strange thing, I had first time ticking.

With K-5 Silver, but on a video rescently with this camera it wasn't.

Any new idea's on this. I did as usual just uploaded the clip from the card to youtube. Just a flaw in youtube or something in the recording?
08-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
There's always something that Pentax drops the ball on, isn't there.

How does this crap pass QC?
Why do you go off and make a blanket statement like this?
It is obviously a codec or conversion issue. Nothing to do with Pentax QC.