Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
%*$#^(&! The Lens Release Button Fell Off my K-5!

Look, I'm a fan-boy by nature and have been unrestrained about my enthusiasm about the K-5 but I'm really pissed and have to vent.

The Delete (trash can) button fell off of my first K-5 but that was no big deal since I always do my deleting (in bulk ;~) on my computer and, anyway, that was resolved when I got my stain-replacement body.

I figured that was just a flukey, "one-of" thing but today I find that the lens release button is gone (as in nowhere to be found) and there's no way to un-mount the Tamron lens.

Now here's the thing: we're off to China next week and it's a trip of a lifetime sort of thing. The saving grace is that I have two K-5s. Now, admittedly, that's a loony fan-boy thing (except that, under the circumstances, it's maybe not so loony.) Of course, now I'm worried about something falling off the "good" one so I guess I'll pack the old reliable K20D (with it's charger and spare batteries) as a back-up.

Obviously, if I wasn't loony enough to have two K-5s, I be off-the-deep-end furious! I mean, do these things have leprosy?! I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" meant "crap." I thought that was behind us.

(end of rant)

06-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If it makes you feel any better, I've had mine since March and have close to 10k shutter activations and no problems yet. My bag pulls off my Tenpa magnifying eyepiece if I'm not careful, though.
06-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
If it makes you feel any better, I've had mine since March and have close to 10k shutter activations and no problems yet. My bag pulls off my Tenpa magnifying eyepiece if I'm not careful, though.
It does, actually--thanks.
06-11-2011, 02:16 AM   #4

QC issues....its unbelievable.....!!!!!

06-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #5

15.000 actuations and no problems, not a single button fell off
06-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
@dadipentak
QuoteQuote:
I'm old enough to remember when.....
....if a button fell off, why, you would just grab a thread and needle and sew it right back on !..........
06-11-2011, 03:18 AM   #7
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Close to 12K actuations and not one problem. Maybe a Friday version. Used to be that you didn't want to buy a car assembled late Friday afternoon or early Monday morning. Sleepy assembly line drones.

06-11-2011, 03:42 AM   #8

My K5 built-in flash refused to pop up when I hit the flash button. Opened the battery door and ejected the battery, then put it back. Hit the flash button, flash popped up. 3 times in the middle of my shoot last night, the flash refused to pop and had to repeat the same thing. So, this is Pentax.
06-11-2011, 08:08 AM - 5 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
@dadipentak

....if a button fell off, why, you would just grab a thread and needle and sew it right back on !..........
Yeah, well, I tried that: it looks great but I still can't get the lens off.

That's another thing: it's lucky that's not one of the lenses I was going to take on the trip. Also--since I'm going to have to sent the camera in for repair with the lens attached--it's a good thing this didn't happen with the K1000mm mounted!
06-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Close to 12K actuations and not one problem. Maybe a Friday version. Used to be that you didn't want to buy a car assembled late Friday afternoon or early Monday morning. Sleepy assembly line drones.
The Assembly Line robots had a little too much lubrication last night and woke up with hangovers.
06-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Yeah, well, I tried that: it looks great but I still can't get the lens off.

That's another thing: it's lucky that's not one of the lenses I was going to take on the trip. Also--since I'm going to have to sent the camera in for repair with the lens attached--it's a good thing this didn't happen with the K1000mm mounted!
Surely there's something in there you can push with a "bobby pin" and release the lens, no? I mean, it's a direct mechanical linkage, right? Looks like it on mine, anyway.

Hard to say about QC. I know a fella who bought a D700 and the first time he popped up his built-in-flash the lens assy fell out. But I've bought an *ist D-something, a K20D, and a K-5 with no factory issues whatsoever.
06-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Banned

Well that bums. And anyone els having one good camera doesn't help you at all.

This was just a fun shot I made for the question off wich eye one uses to look true the viewfinder, and I'm undescided at the time, having two good camera's.

Send it in for repairs, it will be a fast return is my guess.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 06-11-2011 at 09:23 AM.
06-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Surely there's something in there you can push with a "bobby pin" and release the lens, no? I mean, it's a direct mechanical linkage, right? Looks like it on mine, anyway.
Yep, I used a safety pin with the point clipped off and it worked. Thanks for the encouragement--my diy fixes sometimes turn out badly. Well, That's a relief! I'm half tempted to take it on the trip but think I'll stick with the K20D as the back-up.
06-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
CDW
Site Supporter

This stuff happens. I had the screen fall out of my viewfinder in my Canon 5D2, twice, while out on night shoots. I had an XT that had a popup problem with the internal flash. This kind of thing happens with all the brands, unfortunately.
06-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #15

LOL my K5 will be a silver edition soon because of the duct tape i'm going to be wrapping it in!

Visited a castle today. Not a pretty day weather-wise... it was cloudy, didn't take the K5. This is how paranoid I am nowadays