Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Software Version

How do I find out what version of software I have? I can find no reference to going into the menu etc. to find that out. Thanks for your help.

07-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #17

Hold in the "MENU" button while you turn your camera on.

Last edited by jcp5; 07-05-2011 at 12:20 PM.
07-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks jcp5 for your help. I have version 1.03. Is that the latest version before the GPS upgrade?
07-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Brooke, thanks for posting this picture. It shows what can be done without any focus issue.

The infamous "low light focus issue" is only experienced in even lower light than this. Usually from EV 2 or 3 and below (as calculated from iso, shutter speed and exposure.)
As far as we know every K-5 on the planet acts the same way in this regard. They're all "broken", in the sense that they don't work according to the specs: focus should work fine down to EV -1, and it just doesn't.
For the sake of comparison Brooke's picture was taken at around EV 5-6, that's 8 times more light than EV 2-3 (it's a logarithmic scale.)

I suppose few of us forumers shoot in this kind of low light, but those who do (and I do) are really pissed because low light shooting was supposed to be one of the K-5 strong features, and some upgraded specifically for that reason.
If you never shoot in that kind of light, you'll never experience any FF issue and good for you (I mean that in a good way,) you don't have to worry.

07-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
I have version 1.03. Is that the latest version before the GPS upgrade?
Yes, it is. The version number for the GPS upgrade (1.10) makes it look as if there were further versions in between but there is just a big jump in the official, public version numbers.
07-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #21
Brooke Meyer

I can a barely see the dancers on stage at EV 5. And of course I have the focus assist light off, not a good thing for dancers. What are you photographing at EV 2 & 3? At that level, I'm in Bulb mode for fireworks.
07-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I can a barely see the dancers on stage at EV 5. And of course I have the focus assist light off, not a good thing for dancers. What are you photographing at EV 2 & 3? At that level, I'm in Bulb mode for fireworks.
EV2 and EV3 is about standard for the light levels in my room, tungsten lit. nowhere near dark enough for bulb mode.

I could easily see dancers on a stage at EV2, never mind EV5

07-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ev3 equals f2.8 1s and iso100 or f2.8 1/30s iso3200 this is perfect evironment for flash pfotography one can perfectly see everything around.... with k5 and clear iso6400 one can get 1/60s at f2.8 without flashgun. I do not see any reason why it's consider as "impossible ambient light" conditions and this is the level of light where f2.8 lens starts to front focusin considerable - for the lens f2.0 or f1.8 its still good enough to get sharp pictures....
07-08-2011, 03:04 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
When in manual focus there seems to be a disconnect between (a) focus confirmation and actual focus; and (b) visual focus and actual focus.
you may need to adjust the shim.

QuoteQuote:
the shims goes between the prism and focusing screen. And with the K-5 has most probably come out of the factory with a 0.4mm shim, so you will be able to adjust focus in either direction by increasing or decreasing the thickness of the shim used. I had a severe front focus error before changing to a 0.2mm shim and now it is almost perfect (the 50/1.2 seems to requires more accuracy than the 0.05mm intervals, but for other lenses it is fine).

Last edited by holycow; 07-08-2011 at 03:18 AM.
07-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks Back-Focused to Me

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have no focus problems and haven't from the start....I will skip the GPS Firmware, I don't need it....just in case it would cause some problem.

My biggest problem with the K5 is that because of its very rocky introduction, it makes you gun-shy....you look for problems that don't exist, and find some that don't exist either. Hoya did little to instill trust, and hopefully Ricoh will not go the same path of secrecy and failed communication with their base market.

My suggestion is to just get the K5 and use it as you anticipate, not looking for every problem that has been broadcast here. It may be hard to do, but as handsome as I am, if I look in the mirror long enough, I can find a flaw...or two. Fortunately, the vast majority of K5s perform flawlessly.

Don't look for flaws and you will be a happier person.....I could probably get all upset if I stared at this long enough to find some little fault, so I don't..... Well, the hat has a big crack in it....I see that, but that's about it....right?
Hi Rupert,

Assuming you focused somewhere near the center of the face, or the eyes/glasses, that image looks to me to be significantly back-focused.

Ray
07-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by holycow Quote
Sounds like a different shim could correct (b). However, I don't think that it will effect (a). The low-light/ff issue appears to be present in all K-5s--even those whose screens are correctly shimmed.
07-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by holycow Quote
Would that effect if one has accurate auto focus performance and the problem occours only with manual focusing? I got the impression from the OP´s post it was only in MF that he had issues, no?

Last edited by matsoberg; 07-11-2011 at 11:33 AM.
07-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
My new K5 arrived yesterday. After reading this thread, I am wondering if I should upgrade my firmware or leave it as is. I am hoping that I won't have any focusing problems but from what I am reading, there appears to be a very good chance. Any suggestions? From my signature, you can see I will be using a number of different lenses. DA and otherwise. I am depressed now, I have been waiting a year for this body and now find it has focusing isssues. I am P***** Off.
Don't assume your camera has focusing problems, the majority don't. I use my K5, purchased in Feb 2011 for theatre plays, often performed in dark conditions. The last play i did for the organization, about 1500 photos, easily 95% were in focus and just fine. Its a great camera, i love it. I don't see any difference in its focusing capability compared to my older K20. But the files are so much better in the ability to process the RAWs and get customized toning. A delight to work with!!!
07-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Don't assume your camera has focusing problems, the majority don't. I use my K5, purchased in Feb 2011 for theatre plays, often performed in dark conditions. The last play i did for the organization, about 1500 photos, easily 95% were in focus and just fine.
Your experience is greatly different than mine (and that of many others on this site). What you say also appears to contradict Falk Lumo's report on the low light/front focus issue.

Why would the front focus issue be present in only some K-5s? Are you suggesting that this is a 'quality control' issue and not a design problem?
07-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
Your experience is greatly different than mine (and that of many others on this site). What you say also appears to contradict Falk Lumo's report on the low light/front focus issue.
There are any number of people who have said they aren't having a problem since v1.03. Rupert below, Brooke, check the old threads on dpreview. Falk has test results, i don't so there is no conflict. Checking 2 photos from the last play, they were at ev2 and ev4 as much as i can calculate, and were reasonably sharp at 100%crop. But the one at ev2 had some high contrast edges which makes focusing easier, and i don't shoot below a minimum of f4, more like f5.6 or smaller. So i've learned with my k20 not to shoot in a way that tests the AF function, and i've carried those practices onto the K5. The play pictures that my friends and I now display in the theatre lobby are noticeably sharper than they used to be. One friend has a K5 like mine, and the other two shooters have D7000's. So far, i haven't noticed any sig. difference between the files shot from the 2 makes of cameras, and i processed all the photos from the last play.

Falk probably said that the K5 doesn't meet the -1ev of the specification. I didn't test the K5 at that spec so there probably is no conflict. The quiet shutter for theatre work, the much better high iso images (with noise that is more easily cleaned by LR), its so far ahead of the K20 that the fact that it may not meet its original spec is of no real world concern for me. When i do night exposures on a tripod (non-theatre stuff), i just use a flashlight or the onboard focus assist light, and reach a focus that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
Why would the front focus issue be present in only some K-5s? Are you suggesting that this is a 'quality control' issue and not a design problem?
I'm not suggesting anything, i'm just telling you this camera is so far ahead of my K20 results, that i'm delighted to have it. I didn't buy a camera to test, i bought it to do theatre work with and it excels at that.

Last edited by philbaum; 07-11-2011 at 10:07 PM.