Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
weather sealing

How reliable is it? With one of my star lenses (55mm, 50-135mm or 60-250mm). Is it safe to go out a few hours in the rain? Planning on something this weekend and it would be raining for some time? Any thoughts or experiences?

07-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First a lens weather sealing alone would not be good if the camera is not WR. I assume that you use a K-7/K-5.

On the other hand, I have used many lenses in foul weather incl. sub-tropical rain. So far so good, but ... It is important to stress that WR does not mean water proof. In hard rain, I woud still wipe regularly the lens (+ body), protect it with a raincoat or better a rain sleeve.

Light rain is not an issue: a wipe from time to time and a light cover is OK. The rain sleeve is usefyl on the other hand for hard rain.

When I do bushwalking, I like to wear a poncho-like raincoat. I can easily keep my camera+lens under the poncho, and access it rapidly when needed. I have also a wipe nearby. (I add that none of my lenses are WR, but I have a couple of very sturdy lenses. I like to shoot in fould weather and this was my motivation to get the K-7. No regret to date.)

Lastly I must mention lens-swapping. This is a no-no under the rain. I prefer not to take any risk, and I avoid any form of lens swapping under the rain, unless under cover and in a dry place.

Hope that the comment will help.
07-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're going to be in a place with a heck of a lot of wheat, in small particles, then, yes, it's important. Like, say, shooting next to a thresher.
07-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have used the Pentax K10D (GX10) and K20D in the rain for extended periods. Once at Niagara Falls I used the K10D for hours in the rain with my lens covered in plastic (it was not a WR lens). I now have a WR lens for my K20D and use it without any protection. If you look at the K20D at all the doors have seals behind them. This is an important engineering design as no water can hit the seals with force only drain down onto them where they easily keep out the rain or mist. Same with the seams. Do you see any seals on the body? No they are behind doors or seams to act as a barrier. The lens I do like to wipe because when zooming your pushing water back and forth.

I use to use a UV filter on my WR lens but wiping it in the rain is no fun at all! So now I go sans filter and rely on Pentax SP coating, it works! All you have to do is softly wipe the front element and its clean enough for a clear picture. Its impressive compared to a filter or none SP coated lens.

Everyone has I suppose their own degree of confidence using a Pentax sealed body and sealed lens. But as far as how reliable it is, very reliable, very few problems over years of people like me just taking them out in the hard rain and not a problem. Not a fanboy statement, I am basing this from how many have had posted with problems (few). The body especially IMO can withstand a lot!

07-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

During a recent camping trip, my K200d with DA 16-45 was inadvertently left out in the open at night in a downpour for 15+ minutes.

It worked like a charm after a minimal wipe-down.
07-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm not a foul weather shooter......just have no reason to get wet if I don't have to, but here is my bet...for what it is worth. Viewing every complaint imaginable here on the K5 Forum, and we have our choice of those, I can't recall any abundance of failures with weather sealing. Unless there are almost no shooters in wet weather, then I conclude from this that the sealing is effective and as advertised...or we would be hearing a lot of squealing....you can count on it!
07-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@parmar LOL, I was thinking it but you said it.

To Ron, the youtube videos with the K-5 in the shower give me some confidence but have not been out with the K-5 in the rain yet .

07-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've shot in Antelope Canyon and the fine sand dust is a lot worse than Wheat :-)
Also had mine out in a snowstorm which turned into melted water indoors...
07-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Personally I'd view the weather sealing in a K-5 & WR/DA* lenses as insurance, not as a first line of defence. If I knew I was going out in the rain I'd be taking one of those Optech plastic covers, all of ~$5 each.
07-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That stupid mode dial lock is just one more place for water to get into.
07-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

07-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Personally I'd view the weather sealing in a K-5 & WR/DA* lenses as insurance, not as a first line of defence. If I knew I was going out in the rain I'd be taking one of those Optech plastic covers, all of ~$5 each.

Exactly!

I didn't buy the K5 for the WR, but for all it's other features. That's why I had no need for a WR lens to got with it. For some reason, I tend to be extremely careful with my equipment. For example: when I sold my K20d, which I used daily for over 3 years, it was still in immaqulate condition. The guy I sold it to thought it was brand new. Only showing him the shutter count convinced him.

So, for me personally, there's no way I'm going to expose such a expensive piece of equipment to the elements.

Haha.. I've got one of those cheap sucktion ballheads, to make my carwindow into a sturdy tripod. That way, me and my camera both stay dry.
07-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
I have K-5. I know those 4 seconds in the shower movieclips (I'll bett you that if it wasn't a K-5 but a naked girl they would stay longer under the shower). I had my K-7 and K-5 in a drizzle. I had my K-7/DA*55 washed in a bar after half a pint of Guinness was spoiled over it (I'm very carefull over my gear).

Coming sunday I'm thinking of going to a sportsevent, but that is outside and it is predicted to rain. So I don't mind going and have a chance to get wet. Only how safe would you think it be when in worst case there is pooring rain for an hour or 2-3. There is no shelter for me.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-21-2011 at 01:37 AM.
07-21-2011, 03:41 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience is that the weather sealing works well. Obviously the cameras aren't water proof, but they are very nicely sealed and my cameras seem to be able to out last me in poor conditions -- whether it is snow, ice or rain. Just don't change lenses in the rain and you should be fine.