Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

D7000 to K-5

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am thinking about to trade my D7000 for K-5, for it's more robust and smaller body, and the Pentax color is also appealing me. One concern is that when I shoot D7000, I have 24mm 1.4 G as my favorite lens. Is there a Pentax equivalent? How does the Tamron 17-50 compare to Pentax 16-50mm. Another dumb question, is it a good decision to switch? I have 4 Nikon lenses. Thanks!

07-23-2011, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #2

Its not worth the switch... I have both the cameras, and the 7D...all of them take great pictures. And if someone is already invested in lenses, it doesn't make any sense to jump ship..D7K is a great camera and has the same Sony sensor. Nikon will fetch you more money in the used market. Even though K5 is a great camera- the best APS-C yet....its plagued by QC issues, and is more expensive. However, if you choose to switch, you wont see much difference in image quality- but handling would be a totally different experience.
07-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
Its not worth the switch... I have both the cameras, and the 7D...all of them take great pictures. And if someone is already invested in lenses, it doesn't make any sense to jump ship..D7K is a great camera and has the same Sony sensor. Nikon will fetch you more money in the used market. Even though K5 is a great camera- the best APS-C yet....its plagued by QC issues, and is more expensive. However, if you choose to switch, you wont see much difference in image quality- but handling would be a totally different experience.
Ditto.
07-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever......makes a person happy.

I will dispute that the K5 has more problems than other cameras in its class, in particular the D7000, which seems to be robustly supplied with shortcomings....just read the Forums, its all there.

I love the K5, so might be slightly biased.....maybe just a little? It does feel great in your hands, fits like a glove, and the placement of controls and the menu operation is near perfect ....for me.

What you might gain is a place here at PF where there are many hundreds of helpful and friendly people, some might become good friends over time, and all the support and answers you could ever need....most often without any war breaking out as at DPR and similar sites. What that is worth is hard to say, but it has to factor in as a big plus for Pentax. If you can't get an answer here, it can't be found.

Lastly.....we have Squirrels here....lots of Squirrels...and one of them, Otis, offers the Otis Guarantee on the K5....the only camera in the world with such a guarantee...so if you give the K5 a try, you have nothing to lose!

The camera is a great one, it is loved by most all of its owners, and no doubt you would be one of them too. Still, it is only part of the Pentax Experience,which includes all those nice Ltd primes, and all the friendly people here.

Best Regards & Good luck on whatever you do.
Rupert

Otis will be looking for you to join us....
[IMG] [/IMG]

07-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote

I really like the compact size of k-5, I like it's just a little smaller than D7000, but I think it helps. And I also love the knobs on K-5, designated knobs for AF selection, Auto ISO and Metering. Also love the ISO button placement. Where in D7000 you have to press the button then turn the knob. Video shooting is just last thing I concern about.
Whether I switch or not, I am getting a Fujifilm X100 as my everyday camera. If i get X100, then I will have to sell most of my lens lineup, 24 1.4G, Tamron 28-75 and 35mm 2.0 have to go. Keeping a Sigma 85, and 70-300 VR G and getting a Tamron 17-50. So it really won't be costly if you bring that into calculation. If I switch, I'll get a Pentax 16-50 or Tamron 17-50, a pancake size prime and Fuji X100.
Does K-5 have wireless trigger built in to their camera?
07-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

We have someone on the UK Pentax forum that has done just what you are thinking and for basically the same reason.

He seems more than happy with the K-5.
07-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wishlf Quote
Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am thinking about to trade my D7000 for K-5, for it's more robust and smaller body, and the Pentax color is also appealing me. One concern is that when I shoot D7000, I have 24mm 1.4 G as my favorite lens. Is there a Pentax equivalent? How does the Tamron 17-50 compare to Pentax 16-50mm. Another dumb question, is it a good decision to switch? I have 4 Nikon lenses. Thanks!

I say not a good move at all. Save money for Q.

07-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If size is important to you, then that's a good switch. The k-5 with the 15mm limited lens is a good match against the Fuji X100, although a bit larger. There is no equivalent combination with the nikon d7000, as there are really no pancake primes available. You can probably get a good price on the 24mm 1.4g, as that's a very fine lens which i'm sure many Nikon shooters would want.

If size didn't matter, I would stay with the D7000. Oh, and yes, the k-5 can wirelessly trigger other Pentax Flashes.
07-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #9

with ricoh just buying pentax, and pentax glass costing more despite not having built in autofocus > high new lens prices. I would definitely not switch, or at least wait for awhile.
07-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For the 24/1.4, there is no equivalent in Pentax lineup.

As per your decision to switch, it is very subjective. There are some definite advantages of Pentax k-5:
1. Smaller and lighter body
2. WR
3. Stabilization

4 lenses should be easy to sell. Nikon lenses usually sell very fast on ebay, and with good prices.
07-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I say not a good move at all. Save money for Q.

Q mount has tiny sensor, I'll pass on that. APS-C at min.
07-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I really like the compact size of k-5, I like it's just a little smaller than D7000, but I think it helps. And I also love the knobs on K-5, designated knobs for AF selection, Auto ISO and Metering. Also love the ISO button placement. Where in D7000 you have to press the button then turn the knob. Video shooting is just last thing I concern about.
Whether I switch or not, I am getting a Fujifilm X100 as my everyday camera. If i get X100, then I will have to sell most of my lens lineup, 24 1.4G, Tamron 28-75 and 35mm 2.0 have to go. Keeping a Sigma 85, and 70-300 VR G and getting a Tamron 17-50. So it really won't be costly if you bring that into calculation. If I switch, I'll get a Pentax 16-50 or Tamron 17-50, a pancake size prime and Fuji X100.
Having switched from Nikon DX to Pentax recently myself (as in this last week) - I was going to recommend keeping the D7000. However reading the info you mentioned above, I say "go for it".

My switch from DX was not from a relatively equivalent camera (I switched from a D70). Even with older equipment, the sale of my DX gear and some other photo gear sitting around and not being used is funding the switch, so I would imagine you wouldn't have too much of a problem with your newer gear.
07-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
To come out and say K5 is plagued by QC problems is absolute rubbish. I, for one, am sick and tired for Canikon fans doing this on this Forum.
It has been stated on here repeatedly, (yes some people have experienced problems, I won't deny that), but it is those people who speak out.

The very satisfied users of the K5 do not get on here all that often simply to say what a great camera it is, sans problems.
The reading does not in any way give a true indication of the true superb quality of the K5.

Do not be mislead by such comments and buy with confidence.

As to your decision of the Nikon over the Pentax, I am not prepared to make comment either way, as both are truly top cameras.
07-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
To come out and say K5 is plagued by QC problems is absolute rubbish. I, for one, am sick and tired for Canikon fans doing this on this Forum.
It has been stated on here repeatedly, (yes some people have experienced problems, I won't deny that), but it is those people who speak out.

The very satisfied users of the K5 do not get on here all that often simply to say what a great camera it is, sans problems.
The reading does not in any way give a true indication of the true superb quality of the K5.

Do not be mislead by such comments and buy with confidence.

As to your decision of the Nikon over the Pentax, I am not prepared to make comment either way, as both are truly top cameras.

I don't really worry about the QC problem of K-5 if I switch, I can always return if there's anything wrong.
07-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was going to say stick with Nikon until I read this. I think your points here define a big reason Pentax is appealing to us. The K-5 is the smallest high-end body around and Pentax ergonomics are tough to beat. The way Pentax cameras handle ISO in general is top notch (auto ISO is dependable, and ISO button + scroll wheel + green button is nice if you need to control it).

I think I would miss that 24mm f1.4 for sure. I wish we had more ultra fast glass in Pentax land, but we do have nice small well constructed equipment like the Limiteds.

I'm also interested in the x100. That optical viewfinder considering the small size of the camera looks amazing.