Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Did you acquire an Extended Warranty?
Yes - Pentax's Extended Warranty for $20 2086.96%
Yes - A third party's Extended Warranty 28.70%
No - taking my changes 14.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 2 year Extended Warranty

I am curious. I usually don't go for extended warranties, myself. Pentax, with my K20 body included one, that I wound up using after having the unit for 2 years. So, how many of you have gone for the $20, 2 year extended warranty from Pentax (apparently you need to acquire one within 90 days of purchase)?

09-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not generally a fan of extended warranties either, however, in this case it seems like a prudent move given the price. It wasn't an option for me since I bought my K-5 used about 6 months ago, otherwise I would have bought the extended warranty as well.
09-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm another one who rarely goes for extended warranties. But, at $20, the extended Pentax coverage is fantastic value. And the K-5's reputation makes it a no-brainer.
09-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I to don't go in for extended warranties but with this one you get a one free cleaning/checkup for the cost of shipping just send it in before the three years are up. Even if you don't need the warranty part what until 1-2 months before the warranty is up then send it in.

DAZ

09-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I need some clarificaiton on this extended warranty. I bought my camera in February of 2011. Can I still purchase the extended warranty at this time? Camera was bought from b&H.
09-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
I need some clarificaiton on this extended warranty. I bought my camera in February of 2011. Can I still purchase the extended warranty at this time? Camera was bought from b&H.
I don't believe so. I think it was suppose to be purchased at the same time as the camera. However, I think it the warranty was "out of stock" for a time period, and I recall other saying that as long as it was purchased within ~60 days Pentax would honor it.

That said, it couldn't hurt to call Pentax and ask them directly. I suspect the answer is no, but you never know!
09-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #7

I am also not a fan of extended warranties.....but for $20? Almost a no-brainer.

RIDE

09-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #8

Jim - You have 90 days from date of purchase to buy the Pentax warranty. I would e-mail/live chat Pentax to see if they will still let you buy it. If they say yes (they might) then keep Pentax response so you can attach to paperwork if you ever send it in for repair. If you use live chat on the Pentax site you can save the whole conversation or snip it and save before you exit.

Last edited by jcp5; 09-05-2011 at 04:32 PM.
09-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #9

Same as the others - I've yet to purchase an extended warrantee, as they nearly always are priced to the disadvantage of the general consumers at larger, but in this case for $20, very inexpensive 'insurance' vs the potential cost of repair, and as stated, it includes one free camera checkup/adjustment/inspection at any time during the warrantee period.

For $200 I would probably be taking a pass. For $20, it's well worth it, IMO.
09-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I'm not generally a fan of extended warranties either, however, in this case it seems like a prudent move given the price. It wasn't an option for me since I bought my K-5 used about 6 months ago, otherwise I would have bought the extended warranty as well.
Technically, Yes but.....

QuoteQuote:
Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Michael C.
Michael C: Thank you for contacting Pentax chat support Jeff , how may I help you?
Jeff S: I just have a simple question about an Extended warranty B&H Photo is selling..
Michael C: sure
Jeff S: My K5 was recently replaced under warranty for the stains on the sensor.
Jeff S: My understanding is, Warranty starts as of replacement date?
Jeff S: In other words, Starts over. Original date of purchase end of october.
Michael C: the Pentax warranty is from the date of purchase, not the replacement date
Michael C: so if it is the Pentax extended warranty, it will not change at all
Jeff S: That clears that up. Can I buy and use the Extended warranty from B&H?
Michael C: it is simply from the date of purchase
Michael C: absolutely
Michael C: I believe they offer the Pentax extended warranty and they might also have there own offerings as well
Jeff S: So if I buy it now, the remaining time on Extended warranty would be 2 years 8 months
Michael C: there is a time limit to purchasing the extended warranty from the date of purchase
Michael C: let me verify this for you, one moment please
Jeff S: Actual delviery date of the camera was Nov 4 2010
Michael C: you should still be able to purchase it, yes sir
Jeff S: For curiosity sake, what is the time limit to purchase an extended warranty?
Michael C: we ask that it be purchased within 90 days of the original purchase date
Michael C: technically, it is ok if it purchased within the first year
Jeff S: Very good as I'm beyond the 90 days no matter how I slice it. Should be good?
Michael C: yes sir, you are all good
Jeff S: Thank you very much for your time.
Michael C: You're welcome Jeff
Get your own verification before taking My word for it though.
09-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Technically, Yes but.....

Get your own verification before taking My word for it though.
If I had bought it new, then I certainly would give them a call and ask.

However, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in you know where since I bought it used and don't even have the original one year warranty to begin with
09-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
Inactive Account

If I had bought it new, then I certainly would give them a call and ask.

However, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in you know where since I bought it used and don't even have the original one year warranty to begin with
Well, yeah, that kind of was a requirement as it is with most products

09-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well, yeah, that kind of was a requirement as it is with most products

Oh, I know. When I bought it, it was a calculated risk. I saved $400 off what I would have paid for a new K-5 at the time. It was technically new in that it was the replacement for a stained K-5 that had been sent back. I presume while it was being serviced/swapped the original owner decided to switch systems and then just sold the replacement K-5 when he go it back. It's worked out well so far as I'm at about 10k clicks and I haven't seen any evidence of stains appearing.
09-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Oh, I know. When I bought it, it was a calculated risk. I saved $400 off what I would have paid for a new K-5 at the time. It was technically new in that it was the replacement for a stained K-5 that had been sent back. I presume while it was being serviced/swapped the original owner decided to switch systems and then just sold the replacement K-5 when he go it back. It's worked out well so far as I'm at about 10k clicks and I haven't seen any evidence of stains appearing.
Until my first stained K5, I never had a need to send a camera for service. I've never kept one that long but for $20, too good to pass up especially since I had to have the K5 replaced the first time out. I probably wouldn't however spend the money on a third party warranty. If the equipment comes with one as part of the package fine but otherwise no. I've never bought a square trade warranty for instance.

09-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No on my first K-5, yes on the second. But, for the record, I think the Pentax one year warranty sucks, to put it bluntly. At least with regard to lenses, Sigma seems to have much greater confidence in their products.