Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 liveview exit issue

Hi, I was out shooting today with my K5 to try, and duplicate the liveview problem I was having. What happens is after so many shots upon exiting liveview, the camera will begin to make a whirring type sound, and become non-responsive to any button presses including turning the power off! It happens just once in a while. After removing the battery, then replacing it all is fine. This only occurs while using Liveview. Most of the time it exits Liveview just fine. My friend suggested it may just need to break in. I know in about 275 shots, it happened 3 or 4 times. Not all were Liveview shots though. As I said it never happens with the viewfinder, only in Liveview. Focus, exposures everything else is fine including the virtual levels, They are right on! I'm calling Pentax tomorrow, but I'm just curious what another K5 will do. Have you tested your liveview completely? Could someone do me a favor, and take several Liveview shots to see how the exit works. When is does happen, it can occur upon exiting by either pressing the LV button, or by pressing the Play button. Looking forward to seeing your results. I'm just wondering if this is some kind of firmware bug? Everything else on the camera is perfect. If someone else's does it even once, that would tell me nothing is wrong. I hate to send it in for an exchange if I don't have to. I do have an exchange already setup with B/H, yes they are open today. They will pay shipping as well. With everything else being so perfect including no mirror flops, sensor stains, or FF-BF problems I just hate to take the chance of getting something worse. Maybe Pentax may be aware of this, and firmware fix is all it needs.
Thanks.

09-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot duplicate the problem with my copy - it shouldn't happen.
If it is a consistent problem for you, it won't be a firmware bug, it's a hardware problem.
I'd suggest exchanging it.
09-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I cannot duplicate the problem with my copy - it shouldn't happen.
If it is a consistent problem for you, it won't be a firmware bug, it's a hardware problem.
I'd suggest exchanging it.
I tried it another 82 images. Not one problem! even tried using burst mode in liveview. Exited fine. All shots exposed fine. No mirror flops. Really weird. Just seems to be getting better with use.
How many shots did you try? You may have to do 50 or 60.

Last edited by Tony3d; 09-05-2011 at 01:49 PM.
09-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Did you look at the sensor temperature? You can find it in jpg with photome. Maybe just heat problem.

09-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I rarely shoot 50+ continuous LV shots so I can't tell, but since I don't do it often I can't personally see the need to test for it.
Since you have yourself an otherwise perfect K-5, I'd not worry about it and just keep shooting the way you always have.
09-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It sure seems fine now. Even went out in the hot Florida sun, set it on a patio chair in the sun for 15 minutes. Tried shooting in, and out of Liveview with no problems. I'm now going to let it rest, and try later.
09-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Did you look at the sensor temperature? You can find it in jpg with photome. Maybe just heat problem.
I used jeffery's exif viewer, and it had the camera temp at 38C, so 100.4F I guess.

09-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am going out on a limb here with a guess. Given liveview and the audible wine sound, I am going to guess, that the servos are hung in a tight loop attempting to reposition the mirror. For what ever reason they are unable to break out of the loop, thus a hung camera until the ultimate reset is made - battery out. Pentax has no way of acquiring debug information on this, since no image was/can be taken. To debug this condition, they would need the USB cable attached to a laptop/pc running their debug utility extracting real time information. Therefore, the likelihood of this being fixed any time soon is probably remote. Even if you sent the camera in and they attempted to duplicate it, you are probably doing some type of sequence that they have not considered. I would also agree that there is something in the hardware that is contributing to this - a noisy A/D converter.

Like I said - its a guess. Send this back to the vets and get a new unit. You will probably be happier.

09-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I used jeffery's exif viewer, and it had the camera temp at 38C, so 100.4F I guess.
not on liveview, but I used my K-5 at a temperature of 41 degrees of celsius in the sun this summer.
09-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What a hassle. Why can't things just work. I have a return setup with B/H should I need it. I'll call Joe Virgil at Pentax tomorrow. He's been with them for like 30 years. He'll know just what I should do. Considering the fact that everything else is so perfect I'm hoping he has other suggestions. If not, I'll give it one more try with the K5, then look elsewhere.
09-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Panoramas and Stacks - a set on Flickr

Except for the actual Panos, every one of these is done with live view and each is multiple shots. The camera will take the shot, exit live view for the review, then re-enter live view for the next shot. Both auto focus and manual focus used. At the end of each session, the camera is returned to normal (LV shut off), timer mode turned off, etc so I don't forget to do it next time I want to use the camera and miss that once in a lifetime shot because of it. No glitches. None are taken in temperatures that might overheat the sensor though.

09-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Tony ...Tony ...Tony! It just isn't going to work out for you, is it? Bless your heart, you have tried, but the Pentax gods just aren't in your corner. Otis felt sure that the Valium and Xanax he sent you would calm your fears and let you enjoy the K5 like most of us are doing.......

When you get his next shipment, it will be a little white capsule, and he advises to hold it between your teeth and bite down hard.......he says it is his "Otis Guarantee" that your problems will all be over!

Sort of hold it like this, and bite hard........drop by and say goodbye first!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
09-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rubert, you and Otis are a ray of light, and extremely funny. Tell Otis screw the Gods, I'm given it another go. It goes back for an exchanged K5 tomorrow. Now if Otis has any pull with the Gods, scratch the whole thing about screwing the Gods.

Last edited by Tony3d; 09-05-2011 at 06:58 PM.
09-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Any guesses on how long it will take for the next K5 to have something wrong?
I'm thinking of starting a poll thread here....
09-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Any guesses on how long it will take for the next K5 to have something wrong?
I'm thinking of starting a poll thread here....
So your telling me if this were your camera locking up, you would just happily continue shooting away with your beloved, yet crippled $1400.00 Pentax K5? Somehow I seriously doubt it, and if so well, I feel sorry for you. God bless the fan boys! Amen!