Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Confused

Been thinking to get one K-5 camera, and some lenses (Pentax Lens 60-250mm f/4 DA* ED (IF) SDM,Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lensand pentax 18-135). I spend a lot of time to make my mind, gliding between canon nikon and sony....finally a saw a beautiful pictures from K-5 and impressed with ability. But reading forum I find there are some issues with this camera.....freeze, stain etc. I do understand people writing because need some help, but I don't wanna buy a lemon.....I have old canon d20 which is still in good shape and make no too bad pictures. I accidentally drop the camera two times and have no problem. Right now is time to improve camera and pentax is my choice but .......please somebody bring back my confidence about K-5

09-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had my Pentax K-5 since late January and haven't found a problem with it. If you think logically about it, for the large number of K-5's sold there are very few complaints and remember, those that don't have any problems don't post in the complaint department.

I think if you bought one now you'd find that most of the issues people have posted here will now be resolved.
09-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum. The K-5 had some issues at the start, but all the reports indicates that this is fixed.

I have the K-7 that is exactly the same body as the K-7. It is a very rugged body and I had no problem in 2 years despite a few hits and misses. I can recommend the K-7/K-5 body for its solidity.

I moved from P&S cameras to Pentax K-7 because of the superb viewfinder, weather resistance (at a decent price), the continuous shooting ability, and the body handling. Since I discovered that all Pentax lenses can fit on the K-7 (and K-5), giving me a great choice of excellent lenses as moderate prices. This is very important because, as you know, 'good glasses' (good lenses) are the key of outstanding IQ.

In your position, I would jump to the K-5 without hesitation.

In addition, there is a great Aussie community at PF!!!

Hope that the comment will help.
09-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't be scared to get it, just return it and demand a good one if something's wrong with yours At most, you'll lose a few days of shooting, and the image quality you get out of it will most definitely be worth it.

09-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Banned

Well K-5 with DA*60-250mm is a perfect match. You can make stunning pictures with those two!
09-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi, welcome to this community. If you go for Pentax then you'll find the people here very helpfull and with lots of knowledge.

I've had my K5 since March, and haven't had a single problem with it. Even though my K5 is really put to the test. I use it for macro foto stacking and for panorama stitching a lot. At ~100 images to produce one photo, the shutter count goes up VERY fast. So, the quality control issues have been dealt with I guess.

There's a logic behind it. The unsatisfied customers need help and need to vent, and they do that here. But the satisfied ones are invisible. The majority with K5's that are operating at normal Pentax quality don't come here to report that fact. They're all out there shooting and boasting with their beautiful images. I was already afraid that all the 'venting' that goes around here would scare potential customers away from Pentax.

Anyway, if you buy a K5 now, the chance that it's lemon is extremely small.
09-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the problems have been primarily dealt with. However, you have to remember that cameras are basically computers that take photos. The more components you put in a computer the more likely you are to have one of them have a glitch or, even fail. That said, I think the rates of failure are very low and most of us are satisfied. At the same time, if you are satisfied, you don't open a thread and say it, you just post in one of the photo sections.

I wouldn't hesitate. It is a wonderful camera.

09-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pabio Quote
Been thinking to get one K-5 camera, and some lenses (Pentax Lens 60-250mm f/4 DA* ED (IF) SDM,Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens, and pentax 18-135).
  1. Get the K-5. It is one of the best APS-C cameras available. Yes, there were/are a few QC issues but that only means that you might have to send the camera in during the warranty period. Probably not. Overall, the hot-pixel problem of the D7000 seems to be far worse than any problem the K-5 has been associated with (I don't really know the extent of the D7000's hot pixel problem, though).
  2. I think your lense choices are really good, perhaps with the exception of the 18-135. If you specifically want a WR lens and don't mind the price tag and also don't mind IQ compromises, it would be a good choice. If the WR is not a top priority, there are lenses which are optically better and which offer more value for money as well.
09-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #9

Bought mine two weeks ago, serial number 403xxx, extended warranty from adorama, no problems, no issues, no disasters. If you land on this camera, be sure before you take a single snap, read the manual. Its going to tell you to do two things; 1. fully charge the battery, 2. update to the latest firmware.

One of the things that swayed me is even though there are issues, Pentax is releasing notifications on them. their website not only explains the stains issue, but outlines what they look like. Nikon's d7k was having a similar issue with a smuddge? on the upper corner of their sensor. No recall, no notification on their site. Canon's cams are great but my friend's T3i (I know different class) has had two board failures. The issues are there, Pentax seems to be handling them the best and that's what swayed me.
09-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You have to read a lot, sort it out, and use some common sense. If you do, the logical conclusion will have to be that the K5 is a damn fine camera, a terrific value, and on a level that equals most anything out there, and surpasses most. Risk free in this world is pure myth.......but the risk on the K5 is very minimal, just based on the facts.
For Pentax shooters, the Dream Camera is here, one we have wanted for years......whether you enjoy it or not, there are plenty that do already, and more to follow. The camera of your dreams...it is here and it is now....why wait?
Regards!
09-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #11

Quizas seria interesante hacer una pequeña encuesta sobre la satisfaccion de la K5, basandonos en una valoración del 1 al 10 (1 = mala y 10= excelente)

Saludos
09-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are the type of buyer who gets a new camera and then "tests" it until you find something wrong, you will find something wrong with the K5.
Having said that, you will find the same with any camera, but I suspect it's more likely with the K5.
09-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you are the type of buyer who gets a new camera and then "tests" it until you find something wrong, you will find something wrong with the K5.
Having said that, you will find the same with any camera, but I suspect it's more likely with the K5.

May be...but so is the great ISO performance, the best dynamic range, and the fantastic list of user options.......all more likely than most other cameras.
Regards!
09-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just got my k-5 about a week and a half ago and I've put it through its paces very quickly. it's up to 11,000 shutter actuations, and, being intended as my manual-focus camera, I've done a fair amount of live view shooting (to the point of getting a sensor temperature warning), diving into menus, changing lenses in crowds and on hiking trails,walking around with it dangling off my neck, etc. All that abuse in such a short time and no problems yet.

My biggest complaint is that I don't think the level of interface customization lives up to all the hype about it. IE when shooting manual zooms, it would be nice to have a button to take me right to the focal length adjustment rather than going into a menu. And it's not necessarily a hardware problem either, that's something that could be done in firmware
09-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

What "wrong" would that be?

What makes you say it is more likely with the K-5?
I dispute that idea.

A K-5 from a recent batch may be more likely to have a mirror flop issue (that can be repaired) than a Nikon D7000, but K-5 owners suffering from mirror flops didn't go looking for flops.

Again, what would a K-5 owner looking for problems -- if such a person exists -- find that say a Nikon D7000 owner would not?
Closed Thread