Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Play Mode - Error Message: "This image cannot be enlarged"

Some of the pictures I've taken when I am in Play mode I try to do zoom in and I get the following error message "This image cannot be enlarged", and I can see the picture with no problem. It seems to be some kind of random situation, do you know why it might be happening ?, thanks

10-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
This happened to me when I tried to view the photos shot with a 645D on a K-7. Other than that, no idea.
10-29-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you sure you aren't looking at video files? That is usually when I get the message.
10-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
No, I am not trying to zoom video files, I have attached the link to the original 2 pictures (out of the 60 I took yesterday) that are giving me the error message:

https://picasaweb.google.com/brosenz/CannotUseZoom?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRg...eat=directlink

Maybe somebody can try to load them into the camera and zoom in ?, thanks a lot

NOTE: I did not uploaded them here to avoid any manipulation or size reduction, they are 16M pixels files.

10-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I grabbed the image and copied it into one of my SD cards, put it on the camera, and sure enough I can't enlarge it either. Get the same message. Looking into it further.
10-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks a lot
10-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmm... File headers are different, unsure it's significant as my firmware is a lesser version than yours. I am going to upgrade to see what gives.

FYI - I tried processing the same image, and it can't process it either. I'd say file corruption is the likely cause. Question is whether it's caused by the card or not.

10-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
What is weird is that yesterday I took one photo and was able to zoom in the camera fine, then took another one and got the problem, then another one fine, after a while got another one with the problem, then took another 40 fine, and since then all fine, so I really do not understand. I am using Lexar Professional 128GB SDXC card.

I am going to save all the files and format the card in the camera, thanks a lot for your research and help.
10-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well - you can't rule out the card being the problem unless you get the same error on multiple cards (ideally different brands/types.)

I'd switch cards, take a load of photos, and see if the problem happens again. I've never encountered the problem with any of my SD and SDHC cards in the 13500 I've taken with my 8 month old K5. When I have encountered other kinds of issues (no card in camera or corruption errors), they're usually isolated to one particular card and that goes back for warranty replacement or the trash :-)
10-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

While I can't tell you why it happened, the files are obviously corrupt. Checking with a program that likes to complain about corrupt files (xloadimage) the first one (173) is corrupt, the second one (172) is truncated and/or corrupt. They also have borders from other images, so it's obvious they're corrupt that way too.
10-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #11

Original Poster
I am not 100% sure but yesterday I was doing some AF-C and Hi-Speed test, I do not remember if that was before or after, maybe the card got corrupted after so many burst images writing ?, I am using the Lexar Professional 128GB SDXC, I've used the same card with other cameras and I've taken thousands of pictures with no problem, maybe the SDXC driver in the camera is buggy when using 7 fps ?
10-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Could be. I'd conduct more tests with multiple bursts, long and short bursts, video, single shots, etc and see if it happens again. I'd also do the same with another card if available.
01-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
Some of the pictures I've taken when I am in Play mode I try to do zoom in and I get the following error message "This image cannot be enlarged", and I can see the picture with no problem. It seems to be some kind of random situation, do you know why it might be happening ?, thanks
_ _ _

hi

sorry this is too late for replying to your question here ...

i haven't read all answers, so forgive me if this is going to be a repeat!

anyways, this happened to me yesterday after updating the firmware of my K-7 and after that, images couldn't be enlarged in-camera ...

at first i thought maybe it was because of a silly mistake i made myself when updated the camera with the Mac version of the .exe file! (OOPS!) but i was just so lucky the camera didn't turn into a paperweight and worked perfectly well actually ... so, i updated it 'back' to the correct Windows version ... and it worked just fine again but the problem still persisted and i kept getting the message "This image cannot be enlarged" again on all images in the card ...

searched around and found this thread where at least one of the answers by someone regarding he 'couldn't enlarge images taken using his 645D when the card containing them he put inside a K-5' solved my problem too!

here's my mistake: i was so sheepishly trying to watch the images i took with my K-5 inside the K-7 and since the latter has a 14MP sensor vs the former's 16MP, it is perfectly natural for the K-7 to be unable to enlarge the shots even though it can show them anyway ...

so, you must have put the 'wrong' memory card into your K-5 ... check it out again ...

ps: i'm guessing it's also quite possible for the K-5 to enlarge the lower resolution images taken with a K-7 ... will have to test that someday soon! :-)