Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax needs our help to improve the K-5...

Hello fellow Pentaxians.

I've been talking with Pentax Ricoh Canada concerning an issue with the K-5 camera that I believe could use the help from our community. The problem was brought-up at an earlier time but I didn't have the time and resources to look into it further. However, I encountered this again and figured it was worth getting to the bottom of it so that Pentax could issue a FW to fix it.

And so I'm asking that all who care to try and see if you too can replicate the anomaly and see if we can't help Pentax fix this as soon as possible.

So here's how it works:
  1. In a low light setting, place a manual lens(w/manual aperture) on the K-5
  2. Engage Live-View and adjust your settings(ISO/Aperture) to meter in the 1/10s or less range.
  3. Press the green button to meter the scene.

If everything works out, you should see the stop down process taking longer than usual. Likewise, as the light and shutter speeds continue to fall, the stop down period should increase until the system eventually locks-up altogether. However, if you turn off LV, and do the same process(stop down/metering) should be without delay.

NB. I've also noticed that the stop-down time seems to depend on the metering light level. ie. if the system is locked-up and you point the camera into a brighter light source, it will return to normal.

I am also happy to report that Pentax Ricoh Canada has taken a very positive approach to addressing any issues that may need fixing with the K-5. Which is a breath of fresh air in comparison to the old Pentax support system. So the more people and information we can add to this problem the better the chances of getting it fixed.

I'd like to thank everyone in advance for participating and helping make the K-5 better.

JohnBee

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-15-2011 at 12:30 PM.
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll keep it short: same behavior here. I just tried with a M40 2.8.
11-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
I'll keep it short: same behavior here. I just tried with a M40 2.8.
Hello PhilippeG,

I want to thank you for participating with this, your help is most appreciated.

Having said that, is there anyone else who could either confirm or add to this issue?
11-15-2011, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #4

Same here with 50mm 1.4.

11-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
Same here with 50mm 1.4.
Thanks very much for your help.
The more people we have the better.
11-15-2011, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Same here with 28/2.8.
Interesting!
11-15-2011, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks related only to manual aperture (and not general manual-ness of the lens), as it happens to me with FA20 as long as I use the aperture ring. Not really noticably slow at 1/10 though, but takes a while at 1s, and a long while at 2s. Firwmare 1.11.

11-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Same here with 28/2.8.
Interesting!
Thank-you!

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Looks related only to manual aperture (and not general manual-ness of the lens), as it happens to me with FA20 as long as I use the aperture ring. Not really noticably slow at 1/10 though, but takes a while at 1s, and a long while at 2s. Firwmare 1.11.
Yes I think you're right!

I tried with various DA and A lenses and wasn't able to reproduce the issue unless the aperture was in manual mode.

However I also found that if the light fell to a certain level, that the camera will stop down and sit there until either the battery is removed or the camera is pointed to a brighter light source. However, if you try the exact same thing without LV, everything works as it should even as low as a 10s shutter.

Oh and thanks for your contribution!
Keep 'em coming guys, this thread has been forwarded to Pentax for review.
11-15-2011, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Confirmed.

With the M50 1:1.4 mounted I point the camera to a darkish corner of a room lit with static artificial light where I get 0.5s for f=1.4 for ISO 100 (EV 2) with the green button with the OVF meter. Now when I dial in f=8 and activate LV pressing the green button consistently causes the aperture to close until I point the camera to a brighter scene in the room (or get tired of waiting). While the aperture stays stopped down, the LV view continues to be updated as far as displaying the scene is concerned, but the level display frozes and it does not react to button presses except that fully pressing the shutter causes the lcd go blank. OVF metering the same scene works as expected. [edit: FW 1.11]
11-17-2011, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update...

Just wanted to update this thread to let everyone know that Pentax has confirmed the issue and that it is being looked-at by Pentax Japan for solution.

I'd like to personally thank everyone who participated for your help and look forward to seeing a FW update to address the issue int he near future;

QuoteQuote:
Hello:

We have finally been able to recreate the problem you are having with your camera:

`Our sample K-5 body, with the firmware version 1.11, when used with a FA 50mm F1.4 having the aperture ring set to manual and the ISO set to 6400 or higher and with the camera in manual exposure mode, set to Live View, shutter speed set to 1/2 second or slower, then pressing the Green Button to check depth of field and set the correct shutter speed, the LCD display will darken and the if the shutter release is pressed the camera will lock up until one of the following is done:

A: the battery is removed and then, after a few seconds, replaced in the camera.

B: the lens is pointed at a bright subject, the shutter will then take the exposure, note if the camera is not pointed at a bright subject the camera will continue to remain locked up with the lens stopped down to the manually set aperture.'

We have forwarded the information to Japan for their help in solving the issue.

Best regards

CSR2
The Pentax CSR Team
905-286-5585 x632
1-800-461-6203 x632
01-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm happy to report that this issue has officially been fixed by Pentax in part of their 1.11 FW update. - thanks for your efforts Pentax.