Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 firmware upgrade which version?

Which version should I upgrade my K5 to? O-GPS is not important to me. More concerned about being locked out of functionality in newer firmware versions.

11-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd like to jump on the back of this post as well as I was going to ask the same question. I have 1.03version. It's all working, should I run the risk of killing it by updating?
How is it done? Do you just go online or do you have to take it to a service shop.

Thanks.
11-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Firmware upgrade can be done by user. The firmware upgrade and instructions are provided on this page: Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
11-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
I'd like to jump on the back of this post as well as I was going to ask the same question. I have 1.03version. It's all working, should I run the risk of killing it by updating?
How is it done? Do you just go online or do you have to take it to a service shop.

Thanks.
No reason to update if you don't care about the GPS issues .

11-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #5

I would always update to the latest available version even if my gear is working fine - especially for my K-5 as it has been shown in the past that Pentax sometimes adds undocumented fixes in their new firmwares. I have never broken any electronic equipment piece by updating a firmware - being a computer BIOS, a phone, a camera, an SSD drive or whatever else. Just follow the vendor instructions carefully - if they provide this option to end users, there is no reason it should break your camera if done properly.
11-15-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spag Quote
I would always update to the latest available version even if my gear is working fine
There is always a risk with firmware upgrades -
a. the risk that the upgrade may not go according to plan leaving you with an expensive paperweight.
b. Lose some existing functionality
c. Gain functionality that however causes the device stress such as crashes or overheating
11-15-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My K-5 recently took a warranty serivce trip as it had a tendency to back focus in daylight (PDAF). With the DFA 100 a +10 AF micro-adjustment was just about enough, but the DAL 55-300 would have needed considerably more. The piece of paper that was in the box when I got a camera back (*) stated that they had updated the firmware (now at 1.11, was 1.03 I'd recall) and tested the AF with the result that it was performing fine and a remark that my problems may be 'caused by the lens'.

I was quite miffed by this as it seemed that in essence nothing had been done and this would mean that running out of AF fine adjustment range with a Pentax lens is apparently no issue as far as warranty service is considered. However I thought I'd test once more with a paper target, tripod etc (before getting in touch with the seller again). Turns out the DAL now is fine with +8 and that +4 is enough for the DFA 100. (Tamron 17-50 1:2.8 : -5 BTW).

It *could* be that they in fact did something else besides upgrading the firmware and testing AF to fix the reported problem and failed to put that in the service report. However, if the latter is to be taken at face value, it would seem that just the firmware upgrade to 1.11 had a profound positive effect on my problem with backfocus.

(*) This took just a couple of days which was a huge positive surprise .

Last edited by jolepp; 11-15-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: typo
11-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What I really wanted to know was if I would miss out on any debug menu style hacks if I upgraded to v1.11
11-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
What I really wanted to know was if I would miss out on any debug menu style hacks if I upgraded to v1.11

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk
So there is a known way to get to the debug menu with the earlier FW?
11-16-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
So there is a known way to get to the debug menu with the earlier FW?
They appear close to it on v1.01
11-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #11

I agree with Spag here. There is little risk with firmware updates bricking your device if done properly. The key word is *properly*. If you neglect to follow proper procedures then the outcome is anybody's guess. I like to keep all my gadgets up to date with official firmware. If a certain functionality is a documented feature, an official firmware should not deprecate such a feature. Also, every thing we purchase comes with firmware installed by the manufacturer. If the same manufacturer is releasing an update, I see no reason why not to trust them, especially if we trusted their quality in the first place. I can understand that not everyone may agree though.
11-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just want to note one strange event with my update to 1.11 --

After I updated, when I tried to shoot with the DA 40 ltd, which I had on the camera during the update, the camera went bonkers. The screw just seemed to spin madly, and the camera refused to focus or fire. A moment of panic, then I turned off the camera, removed the lens, put it back on, turned on the camera, and all was fine. Very weird. I don't know if it was caused by an idiosyncrasy of my camera, or by a bug in the firmware. I don't think anyone else has reported this kind of thing. With any future updates, I plan to remove any lenses first, just in case.
11-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Just want to note one strange event with my update to 1.11 --

After I updated, when I tried to shoot with the DA 40 ltd, which I had on the camera during the update,...
...I had no problem, having read this after the update. But, thanks for the "heads-up"
11-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #14

I understand that version 1.11 is the latest firmware version released by Pentax but 1.03 is the latest version posted on the US site. Does anyone know why that is? Since 1.11 seems to have been out at least 4 months, I wondered if there was a technical reason. Or is it simply because the GPS unit doesn't seem to be readily yet available in the US? (I see that you can get it from Amazon and Pentax US, but it is hard to find elsewhere.)
11-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #15

Firmware

It is interesting that U.S. customer support told me to upgrade to 1.11 to see if helped a camera freeze issue and directed me to teh Japan site for the download.

Cashman02