Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can I thether My K5 in LR3?

Or do I need to use PK_Tether? Which does the new firmware support?

11-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Officially, the K5 does not support tethering.
Unofficially, PK_Tether works.
Lightroom doesn't support K5 tethering either.
11-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
PK_Tether is its own editor though correct? It won't support LR3. I'm hoping that I'm wrong.

For the record...I'm by no means a pro photographer but photography is something that I'm very drawn to. I do as much reading and professional development on my end to better my skills as I can. But the more knowledgeable I become about what you can do with photography, the more dead ends I run into because I use Pentax. I'm really getting sick of it. Pentax was good enough for me when I just took snapshots of stuff but now that I want to go to that next level it more of a handicap. Especially now that I know (to some extent) what I'm talking about and what stuff is used for)

When I got into flash photography I really started to notice this. If I had money I'd never shoot Pentax again. But I don't so I'm stuck with it.
11-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
PK_Tether is its own editor though correct? It won't support LR3. I'm hoping that I'm wrong.

For the record...I'm by no means a pro photographer but photography is something that I'm very drawn to. I do as much reading and professional development on my end to better my skills as I can. But the more knowledgeable I become about what you can do with photography, the more dead ends I run into because I use Pentax. I'm really getting sick of it. Pentax was good enough for me when I just took snapshots of stuff but now that I want to go to that next level it more of a handicap. Especially now that I know (to some extent) what I'm talking about and what stuff is used for)

When I got into flash photography I really started to notice this. If I had money I'd never shoot Pentax again. But I don't so I'm stuck with it.
I'm curious to know — honestly curious — what limits did you run into? (Other than tethering, or lack thereof).

11-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is an other way to tether your K5. It is by Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB SD card. This is no real tethering, in the pure sense, but by this you just send the pictures, wether it be JPEG or RAW/DNG, directly to your computer.
I use it on my MacBook and it works fairly well. just observe some rather strange roles: never put the laptop on the left side of the camera (seen from behind) the metal shell of the body (this is a Pantax advantage, really) is somewhat stopping the WIFI's radio waves (this is what I think). On the right side, where the plastic SD card door is, there the waves can get by. Never set it up further than a few meters and a little behind the camera. Then, perhaps, you can have the pictures downloading in the LR3's watch folder.
Do closely observe the suggestions made on the Eye-Fi's website and their help desk is very cooperative too!
I was a little surprised seeing the RAW files coming in faster than expected...

BTW, after years of professionally shooting digital Pentaxes, I did not run into serious limitations, even with heavy studio flash generators and handheld bare bulb flash torches...
The only limitation is my imagination, sadly enough!

Last edited by philippe; 11-16-2011 at 09:13 AM.
11-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sync speed @ 180th...this is one "limit" that I can accept.
Lack of PocketWizzard compatibility.
Lack of battery pack options for the flashes....which means slower recycle times
Lack of wireless ttl
the limits of the af360 body in terms of swivel
the AF system

I'll admit....I'm not a pro. So I need all the help I can get. When I watch tutorials from lets say kelbytraining.com and they are shooting examples using wireless ttl with pocket wizzards or whatever and controlling the each individual flash from the body then tethering the results to LR to watch on a bigger monitor and I can't do any of them to mimic the results....it gets frustrating. Not impossible, but I start to question why I chose this brand instead of having EVERYTHING that these guys have. Instead I'm left trying to justify why I don't need it or how I can work around it. Why should anyone have to do that when the technology is readily available on other avenues?
11-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Lack of battery pack options for the flashes....which means slower recycle times
Lack of wireless ttl
the AF system

I'll admit....I'm not a pro. So I need all the help I can get. When I watch tutorials from lets say kelbytraining.com and they are shooting examples using wireless ttl with pocket wizzards or whatever and controlling the each individual flash from the body then tethering the results to LR to watch on a bigger monitor and I can't do any of them to mimic the results....it gets frustrating. Not impossible, but I start to question why I chose this brand instead of having EVERYTHING that these guys have. Instead I'm left trying to justify why I don't need it or how I can work around it. Why should anyone have to do that when the technology is readily available on other avenues?
That's why you don't see many pro shooting with Pentax. I love Pentax for what it is and accept it's limitations as well as embracing things that it offers that others don't (weather seal body at a very low price, limited primes, lens backward compatibility, small bodies packed with features, etc... ).

It's never too late to change your mind and switch to another brand.

11-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use PK_Tether to put the files on your computer and use LR's Watched Folder feature to see your pictures and apply any automatic processing that you want done to them.

What real limitation have you run into with flash? You have the sync speed limit which is only half a stop slower than 1/250. If you need HSS, there are P-TTL flashes that can do this.
11-17-2011, 12:30 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Lack of wireless ttl
the AF system

Good heavens, are you shooting underground nuclear reactions?
Before all these super electronically controlled high speed bells and whistles existed, wonderful pictures of any kind were shot all the time!
Yes, all camera's have limitations so does my Hasselblad, Linhof and Leica (and Pentax LX). These tools have cost me an arm and a leg, but they never stopped me from earning an acceptable living.
Of course, it is very tempting to shoot all these 'eyeburning' pictures, but can't it be done the 'slow' way? Sit down, take e deep breath, and ask what the hell you are about to do, how and why...

Anyway, good luck!
11-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'll admit....I'm not a pro. So I need all the help I can get. When I watch tutorials from lets say kelbytraining.com and they are shooting examples using wireless ttl with pocket wizzards or whatever and controlling the each individual flash from the body then tethering the results to LR to watch on a bigger monitor
ok, so you're not a pro. Exactly WHAT are you trying to do with that? If you're going to drop as much as it costs to run the PW TT system, yes, you could have gone w/ Canikon to do it. Canon actually has better tethering support than Nikon does.

But the thing is, if you're tethering, why in the world are you running i/e/p-TTL at all? if you're tethering, you're most likely trying to studio work. To do studio work properly, you really should be using manual control of your flashes with a lightmeter, not hoping e/i/p-TTL guesses what you want to do in the studio .

You can pseudo tether to preview your shots using RAW+JPEG mode (set JPEG to smallest 6MP size) and using the Eye-Fi X2 card. This will land the files into a directory that you can tell LR3 to monitor. Sending 16MB RAW files, even over USB 2.0 is slowww (totally useless w/ the Eye-Fi card). We really need Firewire or USB 3.0 to get it to work at what I'd consider acceptable speeds (I really hope the K-3 or whatever it is supports USB 3.0)...

FWIW, I do studio work w/ the K20D and haven't hit any real problems (though I wish I had the K-5's sensor for low key shots)...I use the Radiopopper JrX to remote control power on studio strobes and Nikon speedlights. The Eye-Fi w/ 6MP image seems fine to me for tethering too...
11-18-2011, 03:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My observations were based on totally different instances. Obviously in a studio I would shoot manual on the flashes and wouldn't need TTL.
However, just because I have a full time job doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to spend money on a hobby that I love, nor should I have to chose a system that's not on par with its competition. When I started....I knew nothing about this stuff so it was of no concern to me. As I became more knowledgeable I started to realize what features Pentax doesn't offer....the list seems to get longer the more familiar I become with photography.

Yes....I agree there are work arounds. But why should people who shoot Pentax have to ALWAYS be thinking of ways to get around a situation in 2011 when the technology is available from its competitors? That's all that I'm saying. I'm not saying PEntax is a piece of junk, I'm just hoping the offer the same as everyone else...nothing more. Why settle for mediocrity?

Back to my OP....I don't really care about the tethering to make adjustments to the shot or to save to my computer. I just want to be able to see the image preview on a monitor after I take the shot so I don't have to rely on my lcd. I guess PK_Tether will work for that?
11-18-2011, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
then tethering the results to LR to watch on a bigger monitor
Why so difficult? Just use a external monitor on the HDMI port of your K5 to watch your liveview screen on a bigger screen. It has a second advantage of being able to judge your image before you snap and waste some more clicks. I do that for my microphotograpy studio-stacking-projects. Next to that, you can still use PK-tether to control your camera and automatically import your pics.
11-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Back to my OP....I don't really care about the tethering to make adjustments to the shot or to save to my computer. I just want to be able to see the image preview on a monitor after I take the shot so I don't have to rely on my lcd. I guess PK_Tether will work for that?
Ditto what Clavius said...simplest thing is to just hook it to your HDMI port. There's also PK_Tether for USB 2.0 (downloads it to your computer), and the Eye-Fi (downloads it to your computer or tablet).
I presume you have a calibrated IPS monitor?

As for mediocrity, every system has its pros/cons. E.g., I think Nikon's D7000 is a great body, but it's missing hot pixel mapping (something we've taken for granted since the K10D days). You have to send it back to the factory to do this!!! I think that's nuts given that all sensors will develop hot pixels after a while...
We've also taken in-body SR for granted...WR for granted...backwards compatibility w/ old lenses for granted. Again, it's not to say Pentax is the greatest, but *every* system has pros/cons...it just depends if you can live w/ the cons.

But yes, tethering I agree is something Pentax should have better support for instead of relying on 3rd parties to hack it in...especially for the 645D because the medium format world pretty much assumes you have tethering because the rest of the MF world's rear displays are total crap (except for the Phase1 IQ180). I really hope the K-3 has USB 3.0 w/ better tethering...
11-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Just use a external monitor on the HDMI port of your K5 to watch your liveview screen on a bigger screen
Thank you.....Exactly why I come to this forum. I actually get help. I'll give this a shot.
11-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lack of wireless ttl
the AF system

Start over; sometimes you have to call it a day, how sad or difficult it might be.

If you decide to stick with Pentax, get another flash with swivel and that can take a battery pack (AF540 is the Pentax version that has both or look at Metz and possibly others), contact PocketWizard to let them know that you're disappointed that they don't support Pentax and be happy with what you have

Happy shooting.