Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another K5 lockup thread

I don't want to hijack someone else's thread...though i've noticed a few of them...

My camera first failed on saturday night during a shoot and i could not get it working again. The battery was nearly fully charged but i removed it anyway and replaced it with another fully charged battery. when i turned it on, i could hear the sensor shake and the top LCD screen showed the full battery indicator but nothing else came on and no buttons on the camera would work. I switched it off and went home. the next morning i opened my camera bag and it was warm inside the bag, presumably from the camera running all night even though the switch was off.
no grip, genuine pentax batteries, no unusual temperatures, never been dropped, etc. 13K shutter count, firmware 1.03 (1.11 offers no performance improvements, so i didnt upgrade)

Today i took out the camera for the first time since the incident and it fired up with no trouble. I set up my tripod to shoot something at my desk and when i pressed the shutter, nothing happened, all displays were dead. I could hear the humming of the sensor. I removed the battery and when i replaced it, the shutter fired. great, i set up the shot again using live view and when i pressed the shutter, same thing, it locked. I must assume this is the same locking up that others are experiencing?

I noticed when i switched it off while locked up, the camera remains on, as i can hear the sensor humming; this explains why my bag was warm the next day and the fresh battery was totally drained.
I am sending this back obviously...well at least i can get the electronic level fixed while i'm at it.

01-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like...

Sounds like it is shorting out somewhere. Makes me want to shoot off pictures until mine breaks.
01-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
did you check to see if you have accidentally turn on 2-sec delay? just saying because it happens to me before....
01-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
did you check to see if you have accidentally turn on 2-sec delay? just saying because it happens to me before....
not sure i understand your question but yes, i always use the 2 sec delay when shooting from my tripod. it is on.

01-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
not sure i understand your question but yes, i always use the 2 sec delay when shooting from my tripod. it is on.
Just trying to confirm:
When you said lock-up after you push the shutter, does it look like the camera is waiting for the timer to expire before the shutter trips? Or simply, when it locks up... turning off/on the switch has no effect - that would be a 'real' lock-up.
01-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch Mike, well that sucks big time. Please keep us informed as this goes on.
01-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just trying to confirm:
When you said lock-up after you push the shutter, does it look like the camera is waiting for the timer to expire before the shutter trips? Or simply, when it locks up... turning off/on the switch has no effect - that would be a 'real' lock-up.
i am not talking about mirror lockup.

When i press the shutter button, all the screens go blank and nothing happens. nor is there the usual 8 beeps of 2 sec timer which preceeds the shutter click during mirror lockup. when the battery is pulled out and pushed back in, that is when the shutter clicks.

01-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have not experienced anything like that in my k-5 so far (knock on wood); just want to understand a little better in case I run into a similar situation. Perhaps, there is indeed something wrong with your k-5; and sorry to hear about that.
01-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Mike, have you been using PK tether at all? Another oddball question but does it do this with your new corded remote?
01-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
no PK tether, docrwm.

when it first happened, i was using the timer remote.
however, today it happened some 10-15 times, not using the remote. it also seems to happen more when i turn on live view and zoom in...could just be my imagination but it seemed that most of the occurances were after zooming to focus.
01-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
it also seems to happen more when i turn on live view and zoom in...could just be my imagination but it seemed that most of the occurances were after zooming to focus.
That's it...I had once experienced that when I handed it over to another person to take a photo for me using live view and she also zoomed in for focus... when the shutter lock-up; the LCD screen was still on - everything is locked until I remove the battery. Since I don't normally use live view to focus...so perhaps this is indeed a bug that needs to be fixed.
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's it...I had once experienced that when I handed it over to another person to take a photo for me using live view and she also zoomed in for focus... when the shutter lock-up; the LCD screen was still on - everything is locked until I remove the battery. Since I don't normally use live view to focus...so perhaps this is indeed a bug that needs to be fixed.
very interesting indeed!
i am planning to ship the camera off to CRIS tomorrow...gee sucks because i wanted to shoot this weekend and i have no backup body.
01-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #13

Mike,
I had the same exact thing happen with my K-5 a month after I purchased it. I was using it all day and had taken at least 150 shots. Near the end of the day I turned it on and had the same problem you described in the original post. Turning off the camera had no effect! I removed the battery and let it sit for about 1 minute. I then put the same battery back in, and it powered up normally and conituned to work fine after that.
Fortunately, this is the only issue I have had so far with the K-5. At the time I was using firmware v1.03 and it had a shutter count of 1050.
Good Luck.

Ray

edit: I should mention that I was NOT using Live View at the time of the lockup or at any time that day.
01-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
rjp, this is interesting because that first time it happened, i was shooting the fireworks show and had probably just shot 30-40 rapid snaps in bulb mode, that is, i was challenging the camera a bit. i wasnt using LV at all then but today when it started happening, i had live view on while composing and focusing so i figured it could be related.
01-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I wonder what the specs are for the K5 remote circuit regarding voltage/amps and what the specs are for the EZa - RS-60E3 Timer Remote Control?