Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

K-5 Debug Mode now accessible

Hello,

I just wanted to mention one thing which is public but not widely recognized:

On older models you could enter the camera's debug mode with the help of some text files on the sd card - if you knew the right filename and some other commands as well.

The activation sequence and filename for the K-5 up until today was never found out as far as I know.

Nevertheless a very nice guy who programmed a tethering software now added a button "Camera debug mode on" to his software and it does work on the K-5!

You can find the software here: PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
It works only with the newest Version 0.6.

Naturally doing this is for the not risk averse people (might do all sort of damaging things to your camera) as it's not meant to be done by users, but...

01-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice. I've been wondering if PKTether would be able to access the long elusive K-r debug mode as well, but haven't had time to try it yet. Will have to test soon, this could be big news for people having tungsten issues.
01-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
... this could be big news for people having tungsten issues.
I was thinking the same thing....you may be able to adjust further than the ±10....

I'm going to try this when I get home tonight...

AB
01-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
On a K-5 the adjustment goes from -120 to +120 micrometers. That is four more steps than in the normal -10 to +10 menu.

01-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #5

Oh wow, very cool software. Thanks for pointing it out.
01-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

How does it work? I am interested because I am suffering of front focus and I don't have enough with -10.
Thank you
01-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #7

Does the debug mode includes a setting to adjust the level???

01-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #8

Once you click on the debug mode on, what's next? I don't want to mess up my camera more than it is without knowing the steps.
Thank you
01-06-2012, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I look forward to playing with this....as soon as a couple members post that nothing burst into flames.
01-06-2012, 03:01 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Once turned on via the PC software you find a "Test mode" tab (only this) between the "screwdriver" tab and the "C" tab in the menu (it is there when you go there, it's not actually visible as a small tab while you're still on another tab). Obviously you need to press the "menu" button first to see anything.

As far as I can see the only useful item there is is the AF adjustment, nothing to tune the level.
See the descirptions for older cameras for an idea: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment

For the AF adjustement I guess it's smart to write down all the adjustements one has done, since they seem to be relative and the camera doesnt show the absolute result. So if you play around and adjust -50 now and -120 tomorrow the camera is at -170 but the next time you turn it on it starts at "0". So if you ever decide to go back to where you started you want to know how much much you fiddled around with it in total.

Last edited by beholder3; 01-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.
01-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Once turned on via the PC software you find a "Test mode" tab (only this) between the "screwdriver" tab and the "C" tab in the menu (it is there when you go there, it's not actually visible as a small tab while you're still on another tab). Obviously you need to press the "menu" button first to see anything.

As far as I can see the only useful item there is is the AF adjustment, nothing to tune the level.
See the descirptions for older cameras for an idea: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment

For the AF adjustement I guess it's smart to write down all the adjustements one has done, since they seem to be relative and the camera doesnt show the absolute result. So if you play around and adjust -50 now and -120 tomorrow the camera is at -170 but the next time you turn it on it starts at "0". So if you ever decide to go back to where you started you want to know how much much you fiddled around with it in total.
Beholder thank you for your answer and one question, how is related the number you modify there with the number of the fine tunning, I mean how much is every step of the fine tunning? I ask this because I think I would need near a -12 or something like that and I don't know how much I should put in the Debug mode.
Thank you

Last edited by simo3o; 01-07-2012 at 02:41 AM.
01-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simo3o Quote
Beholder thank you for your answer and one question, how is related the number you modify there with the number of the fine tunning, I mean how much is every step of the fine tunning? I ask this because I think I would need near a -12 or something like that and I don't know how much I should put in the Debug mode.
Thank you
Neither do I. I only own a single lens which needs a -10 adjustment in the normal user menu and that is enough then, so I don't actually have to use that. That could best be ansered by someone who has done it either on a K-5 or another model where this was possible for a longer time.
I guess it boils down to testing it out with a focus test chart.
01-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Neither do I. I only own a single lens which needs a -10 adjustment in the normal user menu and that is enough then, so I don't actually have to use that. That could best be ansered by someone who has done it either on a K-5 or another model where this was possible for a longer time.
I guess it boils down to testing it out with a focus test chart.
Thank you for your reply, I'll try to find an answer and fix my camera, I'll put the resolution here.
01-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #14

I tryed it too,and i can confirm it is safe.. But i was very disapponted that there is no level readjustment..
01-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #15

no confirmation that this works on the K-r yet? If i still had my K-r, I would immediately try this.