Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Autofocus: k-5 vs k-x

I would like to change my k-x and buy a k-5 expecially to improve autofocus speed and precision.

The question is:

Is the autofocus speed in k-5 a significant improvement with respect to k-x?

My question is for people that owned a k-x!

Thanks!

01-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My uncle has a Kx that i've used a couple of times, does that count?
The Kx is slower then the k5 but have no idea about the accuracy.

But the thing is no matter how you look at it the AF isn't the K5 selling point it's the handling of the camera and the image quality that makes it great.
If you want a major improvement in AF look at another brand, it's as simple as that.
01-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

K-5 AF has a color sensor to adjust for different light. The K-x does not. The K-5 is much faster and "should" be more accurate under different lighting conditions. Under normal "day light" conditions there should not be a significant difference in accuracy. But if you were taking pictures under red stage lighting the K-5 would be much faster and more accurate.
01-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a K-x and a K-5 and find it's only a tiny difference in AF speed between the 2. The big difference though is being able to fine tune AF per lens, and the burst mode in AF-C is much faster too. I also like being able to do back button focusing without losing the AE-L function.

01-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
K-5 AF has a color sensor to adjust for different light. The K-x does not. The K-5 is much faster and "should" be more accurate under different lighting conditions. Under normal "day light" conditions there should not be a significant difference in accuracy. But if you were taking pictures under red stage lighting the K-5 would be much faster and more accurate.
OK, I'm interested in accuracy more than speed. Expecially in artificial light.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I have a K-x and a K-5 and find it's only a tiny difference in AF speed between the 2. The big difference though is being able to fine tune AF per lens, and the burst mode in AF-C is much faster too. I also like being able to do back button focusing without losing the AE-L function.
I agree, could be the better improvement is the fine tune AF per lens. And this could improve the AF accuracy.
01-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Dont forget , lense is a major factor
01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I have the k-x and the k-5. k-5 seems to be better in low light. Daylight can’t tell any difference. Hope this helps.

wingman

01-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Dont forget , lense is a major factor
I know...

I'm just wondering if replace my FA50 with a 70 or 77mm lens, or update camera before...

edit message:
Just to point out:
Replace FA50 with 70 or 77 is not for AF speed, but because I prefere a longer focal for portraits.
Replace camera is for both handling and AF speed.
I have limited money, so I have to decide what to do before...

Last edited by gflauti; 01-30-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: write better what I mean
01-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would the k-5 be better than the k-x when using super fast lenses like the 55 1.4?
01-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gflauti Quote
I know...

I'm just wondering if replace my FA50 with a 70 or 77mm lens, or update camera before...
For AF speed? Don't bother. While a DA70 is slightly faster, I don't think AF speed is a great reason to choose a prime of one focal length over another of a different focal length.

The FA50 is capable of stunning pictures, I have no hesitation using it over my FA or DA limiteds if the 50mm focal length is what I want. It's easily the best bargain of any brand new Pentax prime.
01-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I find the K-5 more prompt and 'confident' in it's AF than the K-x, particularly in low-light. Also mostly more accurate, but I mainly use centre-spot AF-S so can't make any claims about matrix AF, AF-C etc.

It also seems that the K-5 AF motor has a bit more horsepower - it certainly seems to push the focus ring on the 55-300 in particular around more strongly.

The AF assist light is also useful on the K-5.
01-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Would the k-5 be better than the k-x when using super fast lenses like the 55 1.4?
Are you speaking about SDM lens?
My k-x works better with screw drive lens. FA 50 is much faster than DA 55.
I don't know if k-5 works better than k-x with SDM lens...

edit message:
Just to point out:
Replace FA50 with 70 or 77 is not for AF speed, but because I prefere a longer focal for portraits.

Last edited by gflauti; 01-30-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: improve text
01-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Forum Member

Just to put my two cents in: When I only had the k-x, I bought a brand new Tamron 17-50. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with it's sharpness, I had been expecting more, based on the reviews. Then I bought a k-5 and suddenly my not-so-sharp Tammy got noticeably sharper! That's when I found out that the lack of sharpness on k-x was caused by the camera's focusing, not by the lens. I haven't done any detailed side-by-side testing, but I have a feeling that this (better focusing on k-5) is more pronounced in low-light situations.
01-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gflauti Quote
Are you speaking about SDM lens?
My k-x works better with screw drive lens. FA 50 is much faster than DA 55.
I don't know if k-5 works better than k-x with SDM lens...

edit message:
Just to point out:
No, I mean fast lenses due to their thin DOF wreaking a bit of havoc on AF systems. I know that the higher end Canons have their special AF points meant for thin DOF lenses that are unactivated when using slower lenses. I don't know if the AF points on the k-5 are that different in design/software interpretation than the k-x. I use center point focus regardless of any situation (I'm stubborn).

Is the k-5 faster/more assertive/more accurate when using faster lenses (1.7 to 1.4)
01-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have both and would add that outdoor, I don't see a big difference. Indoors, the K-5 might be a tad faster. That said, my K-x is just near perfect when comes to focus...all my lenses seem to be spot on. When using the K-5, a couple require some adjustment. The largest being my Sigma 24-60 2.8....which requires a -6 (or something close to that)....

thats my 2cents...hope it helps...