Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-5 being exchanged: Spots accumulating too quickly on sensor, dust beneath OPLF

Unfortunately, my K-5 will be exchanged in a few days due to a problem with the sensor accumulating spots at an abnormal rate. Several spots appeared on the K-5 sensor within about 80 shutter cycles without changing lenses that required wet cleaning (probably internal lubricant), and several attempts at wet cleaning, while otherwise successful, ended up pushing a dust particle beneath the optical low-pass filter.

The affected camera has been marked in the serial number database as defective.

My K-r never accumulated spots on its sensor anywhere near this quickly, despite heavy usage and many lens changes. Does anyone else have a problem with spots accumulating on the sensor too quickly?

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 03-31-2012 at 06:33 PM.
03-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about the sensor gunk. Not had the problem myself yet.

Do you have any pix of the spots in question? Did they show up on a Dust Alert image when you ran that function, or were they another form of spot?

Plus how were you doing your sensor cleaning? The Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 39357 is the official sensor cleaning tool for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras. I have never used it, but it is apparently very good. Without the right tools, bad sensor cleaning may, of course, create more problems than it solves.
03-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was using Sensor Swabs with Eclipse.

--DragonLord
04-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K-5 has been exchanged, and the new unit has no problems.

Edit: There appears to be an SR problem, in which the sensor is not moving freely. The camera may need to be exchanged again.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 04-06-2012 at 07:19 AM.