Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Firmware V1.01 Performance Report

Just installed the new firmware. The buffer improvement seems to work well.

Pre-upgrade shooting PEF raw 9 frames to fill the buffer.
Post-upgrade PEF 24 frames to fill the buffer.
Post-upgrade DNG 23 frames
Post-upgrade DNG+jpg 21 frames.

11-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
pureluck, thanks for posting this. I hope you don't mind, but I changed the title from "K5 Firmware V1.01" to "K5 Firmware V1.01 Performance Report" in hopes that this will be a collection point for everyone's impression of it after installing. I didn't want it to get mistaken and passed over as another "Hey, there's a new update available" thread.
11-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also reported here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/123033-quick-test-contin...re-1-01-a.html and here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/123077-firmware-1-01-dng...ll-buffer.html
11-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Banned

Great news for those who want to use all incamera corrections like CA and lenscorrection. Not realy usefull in RAW, it's more for the Jpegs. With the K-7 you can only take 4 pictures. Now with the new firmware you can make 19 of them. Calculating takes a long time, not messured, but the camera handles this different then before.

11-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #5

This is great.
I was a bit disappointed that the only bug I have seen in the FW was not fixed in 1.01. OK, I did not report it because I assumed many other would, but actually I have not seen it mentioned anywhere so I might be the only one having this problem. Time to report it:

I was very happy to see you could now program the Raw button to instead trigger bracketing. However this does not work very well. Actually it works great switching ON bracketing, and it works well to switch it OFF as well as you do not do anything else in between. But try switching on bracketing, then turning the program dial, now you can't exit from bracketing in any other way then via the menu, and the camera will not even show it has bracketing switched on, but it will take 3 shots.... With the enourmous dynamics bracketing is not really usefull during the bright season, but this time of year it might still be usable. So hopefully Pentax will read this and sort out the problem.
11-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
pureluck, thanks for posting this. I hope you don't mind, but I changed the title from "K5 Firmware V1.01" to "K5 Firmware V1.01 Performance Report" in hopes that this will be a collection point for everyone's impression of it after installing. I didn't want it to get mistaken and passed over as another "Hey, there's a new update available" thread.
Looks like a good edit. You're the moderator...

---------- Post added 11-18-10 at 12:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Great news for those who want to use all incamera corrections like CA and lenscorrection. Not realy usefull in RAW, it's more for the Jpegs. With the K-7 you can only take 4 pictures. Now with the new firmware you can make 19 of them. Calculating takes a long time, not messured, but the camera handles this different then before.
What am I missing? Why isn't this usefull in RAW. Rather than 9 files I now have over 20. Shooting flying birds in RAW, this should be very helpfull.

I'm still unsure how they have accomplished this, unless they weren't using part of the buffer with the old firmware.
11-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
This is great.
I was a bit disappointed that the only bug I have seen in the FW was not fixed in 1.01. OK, I did not report it because I assumed many other would, but actually I have not seen it mentioned anywhere so I might be the only one having this problem. Time to report it:

I was very happy to see you could now program the Raw button to instead trigger bracketing. However this does not work very well. Actually it works great switching ON bracketing, and it works well to switch it OFF as well as you do not do anything else in between. But try switching on bracketing, then turning the program dial, now you can't exit from bracketing in any other way then via the menu, and the camera will not even show it has bracketing switched on, but it will take 3 shots.... With the enourmous dynamics bracketing is not really usefull during the bright season, but this time of year it might still be usable. So hopefully Pentax will read this and sort out the problem.
Send them an email (to official support). I don't think Pentax Japan reads this forum.

11-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question: How Do I delete firmware from card?

Updated my K5 with the new firmware but my computer does not want to delete the file from my new expensive 16g SD Extreme card. It says it is protected or something. I have tried it both locked and un-locked to no avail. Want to use it for pix in camera. Any help?
11-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
Inactive Account

>>>Want to use it for pix in camera. Any help? <<< gatorpops
As long as you dont push menu during camera start-up, it won't run the upgrade.
Copy all pictures you still have in that SD-card to your computer hard drive then after that, either you detached cable from your camera connecting to computer (if that is how you did) then FORMAT the SD-Card using camera format function.

cheers ! ...
buaobao
11-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorpops Quote
Updated my K5 with the new firmware but my computer does not want to delete the file from my new expensive 16g SD Extreme card. It says it is protected or something. I have tried it both locked and un-locked to no avail. Want to use it for pix in camera. Any help?
Format the card in the Camera , that file will be erased
11-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorpops Quote
Copy any photos off the card you want to keep and then do a format of card, either in the camera or in a card reader.

Dan.
11-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks dos, bob, and buaobao. Worked great.
I was a little afraid to reformat if it needed to be cleaned first. I am just a "little" digital challenged.

Love this K5. Been shooting with my DA*300 today in the rain. It is Oregon you know.
11-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
So it seems the firmware improves buffer and hyper program, but all the other improvements are quite invisible?
11-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The Pentax K-5 should be "Official Camera of Oregon"