Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-5 Bounce Flash Overexposure FIX

Hello everyone. I recently posted a thread concerning my K-5 overexposing photos when using bounce flash in any mode. After reading the review of the K-5 on the other forum site (gold award) I found the dynamic range section of the review interesting. They state "The K-5 features a highlight expansion function which applies to both JPEG and RAW" and they recommend leaving it on. After reading this, I wondered how this function would apply to my problem of overexposure with bounce flash (since I only shoot RAW at weddings). I switched the dynamic range highlight expansion function on and now I have no more overexposure problems what so ever. Amazing... There must be a firmware bug or something. But for now, no more blown out photos with bounce flash as long as I have the highlight expansion turned on. I hope this helps people with the same problem...

Eric

12-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hrmm interesting this limits your lowest iso to 160 however.
12-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
True. But when I use bounce flash at weddings, I rarely use an ISO below 400 to conserve battery power and flash recycle times. Plus given the review of the K-5 at the "other" site, ISO 160 has no real disadvantages... Except for when you need a lower ISO... But when you have the 5 custom functions, I can just make a custom setting for my bounce flash use...
12-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You might actually be on something... I've just run a quick test...

-Activated the D-range (highlights)
-Flash meters properly no matter direct, bounced or tilted...

Yahoo!!! But wait.. it gets better...

-De-activated the D-range
-Flash is still metering properly... WTF????

Run a few tests with AUTO-iso on as well... it works just the same, but AUTO-iso with flash seems to follow recent Nikon's cameras logic now... it bumps up ISO before increasing the flash output...

Looks like another sign that K5 was rushed on the market with firmware never completed... I bet it didn't even got to pre-alfa version....

Last edited by alexeyga; 12-18-2010 at 10:21 AM.
12-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, my K-5 and Metz 48 never overexpose with bounce and highlight protection off.

However, it underexposes if the diffuser lens is not pulled down (which changes the flash angle of exposure I believe as I can hear the motor cranking). With the diffuser lens in place, I always get a good bounce flash exposure, usually ISO400, f5.6-f8, any focal length.

I have no idea why, I just know now to do it.

Alex - agree...you are on to something that may well disappear with v1.02
12-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by efkelly Quote
True. But when I use bounce flash at weddings, I rarely use an ISO below 400 to conserve battery power and flash recycle times. Plus given the review of the K-5 at the "other" site, ISO 160 has no real disadvantages... Except for when you need a lower ISO... But when you have the 5 custom functions, I can just make a custom setting for my bounce flash use...

You may be onto something.. after testing all seemed OK in bounce flash mode... like you I have placed settings into one of the user modes.

cheers

Neil
12-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
-De-activated the D-range
-Flash is still metering properly... WTF????
Sounds like my AF360 + K5 wireless problems...

They don't work until I change channels.. then they work, until I turn the camera off. To get them working again I have to change the channel.

I've got a feeling the flash section of the K5 firmware may have been rushed and may be a little wonky.

Pat

12-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Sounds like my AF360 + K5 wireless problems...

They don't work until I change channels.. then they work, until I turn the camera off. To get them working again I have to change the channel.

I've got a feeling the flash section of the K5 firmware may have been rushed and may be a little wonky.

Pat
Except that in my case it just kept working even after turning camera off/on... Sounds more like tumba-yumba to me...

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote

Alex - agree...you are on to something that may well disappear with v1.02
At the current rate, most issues should get resolved by v1.99...

Reminds me a lot about the plane simulator company I used to work for... we had hydraulics pissing all over the place, which was getting especially bad when clients were on the site... But the senior engineer always had the same response: "We'll fix that in the software"... Always worked...
12-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by efkelly Quote
Hello everyone. I recently posted a thread concerning my K-5 overexposing photos when using bounce flash in any mode. After reading the review of the K-5 on the other forum site (gold award) I found the dynamic range section of the review interesting. They state "The K-5 features a highlight expansion function which applies to both JPEG and RAW" and they recommend leaving it on. After reading this, I wondered how this function would apply to my problem of overexposure with bounce flash (since I only shoot RAW at weddings). I switched the dynamic range highlight expansion function on and now I have no more overexposure problems what so ever. Amazing... There must be a firmware bug or something. But for now, no more blown out photos with bounce flash as long as I have the highlight expansion turned on. I hope this helps people with the same problem...

Eric
Thanx for your suggestion! Just did not think of relating that setting to the problem (or the solution), but when you mention it, it really seems logical and thus so evident! I tested to activate the highlight blow-out protection, and suddenly the external flash worked also for me in bounced positions. Wow, how things can be simple sometimes!
12-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Hrmm interesting this limits your lowest iso to 160 however.
Like in the previous versions, highlight expansion limits your lowest ISO setting available to double the base ISO, which is 80 in the case of the K-5 (base ISO is 100 in previous models).
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
Like in the previous versions, highlight expansion limits your lowest ISO setting available to double the base ISO, which is 80 in the case of the K-5 (base ISO is 100 in previous models).
I used to be ISO weary and always tried to avoid anything over 400... with the K-5 it has changed my outlook altogether.

ISO 160 will have very little effect on IQ in my opinion.

cheers

Neil
03-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, the only fix is to permanently dial down FEC to -2.0. As my flash overexposure is global (i.e. both in direct AND bounce flash), my 'fix' is a little easier than others who experience only bounce flash overexposure.

And my overexposure was not corrected at all by highlight correction mode, or switching back off it.