Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #1

Are the Eye-fi cards worth it?

Hey everyone, I'm planning on getting a K5 soon and in the meantime I'm upgrading the rest of my equipment (lenses and the like)

My current SD card is old, and I will probably want to get a new one, so I was wondering was you thought about the Eye-fi cards. Are they worth it? or would it be better to get a class 10 card?

I really like the concept, but I can see how it might be a bit gimmicky in practice. Any regrets from Eye-fi owners?

THanks!

01-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Eye-Fi-kortti on turha siotus. Hankkii mieluiten 2 SD 64 10 korttia on enemmän hyötyä ja iloa.
01-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #3

Eye-FI

I find my X2-pro VERY useful in and around the studio/house.... i use it when in reach of my own WIFI-net to copy shots directly to the server where auto-import Lightroom reads and displays on a large 24inch LCD.
For stationary work i prefer tethering from Tomasz ofcourse.

rG
01-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Be aware that Eye Fi card will transfer on the wifi only JEPG not raw

01-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Aina paranee!
01-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Be aware that Eye Fi card will transfer on the wifi only JEPG not raw
Are you sure?
If yes, I am very disappointed...
01-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Are you sure?
If yes, I am very disappointed...
I think there is one that transfers RAW, but not shore that it will work good. Different things I read about them (not using them myself).

The problem with RAW from K-5 is that the files are uge and transmittingspeed is slow.

01-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I read somewhere the eye-fi card doesn't (yet) work with a K5.

Why doesn't it transfer RAW files? Surely it is just a wifi client, so the camera is visible as a standard windoze networked device and you can browse the flash storage.

Or does the card use special PC software which is needed to see the card contents?

IMHO it would be very useful to be able to wifi-transfer pics off the camera, even if it takes longer than USB, which will always be the case, except that it takes a bit of fiddling to connect up the USB cable, and the flimsy little micro USB connector on the K5 is going to break pretty soon. And if I want to transfer 1000 pics I will pull the SD card out...
01-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry , only the new Eye-fi Pro X2 can send Raw file wireless not the other card

Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Card - simply the most powerful memory card yet | Eye-Fi
01-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
X2 does raw and supposedly the last K5 firmware update fixes the eye-fi compatibility w/ the K5...

You normally don't have it transfer RAW if you're tethering...take both JPEG+RAW and set JPEG size to 6MP for faster xfer speed. Take shots to get an idea of how your studio lighting looks and have it show up on your wireless display (tablet or laptop). Save the RAW for download/processing later
01-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
X2 does raw and supposedly the last K5 firmware update fixes the eye-fi compatibility w/ the K5...
The X2 do not do Raw wireless, only the Pro X2
Eye-Fi Explore X2 8GB Wireless SDHC memory card - the easiest way to upload photos & videos on-the-go | Eye-Fi
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
The X2 do not do Raw wireless, only the Pro X2
sorry...meant to type Pro (I had just looked at the comparison page).
That said, if you don't ever transfer raw, the other ones work fine...

The only caveat is the adhoc wifi they're releasing later this year will only work w/ Pro cards so you might as well get a Pro X2...
01-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can see a use for them in the studio, perhaps, or more likely for photographers covering events, feeding direct back to the photo editors for fast release of photos. In this application JPEG would be just fine,

For many people, self included, I have more cards than cameras and always download from a card reader. I think most amatures would be in a similar position, for them it would be useless.
01-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The geek in me loves the idea. The pragmatist in me simply can't see value for money. I mean, how hard is it to put a USB card into a reader, and then get far faster xfer speed anyway, and not have to run down the camera battery.

There are far more useful photography gadgets to buy IMHO.
01-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #15

I got one last year when I signed up for a year's storage on Picasa to use for taking pictures of items I'm selling on ebay. It was a real pain to take 4-5 pictures, take the card out of the camera, put it in the card reader, transfer the photos, etc. Using the Eye-Fi card, I take the pictures, they are immediately transferred to my computer and pulled into Picasa. Then I can apply some simple corrections and upload them online and link them into my ebay listings. It's pretty slick. For all other purposes, I rely on a regular SD card.