Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I've taken both my K-5 and K-x (not sealed at all) into all sorts of environments from my very, very dusty apartment to hiking trails, with plenty of long zooming action with my 55-300 (also not sealed at all) and the 18-135. Dust absolutely everywhere on the outside of the body and lenses, and especially on top of and around the LCD.

But underneath the LCD cover? Spotless on both cameras. I'd say a faulty seal is at work here.
I don't disagree, but where? My camera has NOT been in a dusty environment in the only 2-3 weeks I've owned it. It was fine 2-3 days ago. Now it's not. Only new variable is the 18-135 I put on it yesterday.

05-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
I don't disagree, but where? My camera has NOT been in a dusty environment in the only 2-3 weeks I've owned it. It was fine 2-3 days ago. Now it's not. Only new variable is the 18-135 I put on it yesterday.
I would say it's the LCD cover itself. That's the only real way it can get there. The LCD is sealed differently than the other components. I'm pretty sure the sealing around the edges is just a really tight fit, and if it's off even a little it can let dust in (which can sometimes actually get in easier than water believe it or not). I've seen this happen and get really bad with my MP3 player and old phone (no zooming action there obviously). It took quite a while to notice at first but it got more obvious over time.

A quick Google search reveals reports not only on previous Pentax weather sealed cameras, but on very high end, professional full frame cameras like the Nikon D3s. To sum it up, it's happened to many weather/dust sealed cameras, and upon complete replacement of the LCD cover, it didn't happen again, indicating a faulty original seal around the LCD: Dust on the inside of the LCD monitor of D3s: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review.

Last edited by Cannikin; 05-13-2011 at 07:53 PM.
05-13-2011, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I would say it's the LCD cover itself. That's the only real way it can get there. The LCD is sealed differently than the other components (not rubber sealed). I'm pretty sure the "sealing" around the edges is just a really tight fit, and if it's off even a little it can let dust in (which can sometimes actually get in easier than water believe it or not). I've seen this happen and get really bad with my MP3 player and old phone (no zooming action there obviously). It took quite a while to notice at first but it got more obvious over time.

A quick Google search reveals reports not only on previous Pentax weather sealed cameras, but on very high end, professional full frame cameras like the Nikon D3s. To sum it up, it's happened to many weather/dust sealed cameras, and upon complete replacement of the LCD cover, it didn't happen again, indicating a faulty original seal around the LCD: Dust on the inside of the LCD monitor of D3s: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review.
Exactly right! The pic a few posts (of the K-5) above shows a perfect pattern of dust being blown under the LCD cover. The LCD cover on my new K20D (18 months ago) was leaking dust a bit as the posters here. I am really worried about Pentax QC because when I posted the problem I got very few responses with my K20D. With the K-5 many are raising their hands.

I replaced the seal (thin double sided tape) myself and the LCD cover (better and cheaper than buying protectors!) I felt I would take more time to do a better job. And in fact it has not failed to this day, my LCD cover is air-tight. The real sealing is the cushions around the LCD itself (not the cover). The LCD is pressed against the body with 4 cushions around it to form a seal. The secondary WR seal I call it is the super small and narrow double sided tape that holds down the LCD cover. So Pentax is kinda relaxed about QC and the LCD cover. But who wants dust and even worse water leaking into the LCD cover area. In fact I have changed my mind about it being not so important as water trapped in between the LCD cover and LCD unit is a major problem and can cause major problems (not the least stains on the LCD) if it gets by the sealing around the LCD.

Hey take a look at this post I made before the K-5 came out on my K20D. It as I said leaked as well but few others did!

The below was written long ago! My seal has lasted over two years now!

The cover is held on by double sided tape. The tape is not very wide and allows dust to sneak under many times, very normal for it to happen as its just a thin, not super-strong pre-shaped double sided tape... happened to my sealed K20D. The real weather-sealing for models such as mine is 4 pieces of rubber/foam strips around and between the LCD and body, the LCD is pushed against it so its air tight. The LCD cover is for protection, and anti-glare; its also made of polycarbonate plastic as the body.

Luckily its easy to remove and in your case since its not sealing very well should be very easy to remove. heat up the tape area just a bit, so the its warm not hot, just a bit warm and pull up on one corner of the LCD cover with a suction cup. You can get them at any hardware and many other places; they are used to hang things up on windows and other uses... I got the 1" cups that have hooks in them to hang things. This hook gave me something to grab and pull up on. Pull up on one corner gently slowly until you have enough room to insert a device of some kind as a screw driver. However I would use a popsicle stick or something else not so sharp, just in case you slip. Now with it off you can blow it out clean and put the cover back down heat it up again just a bit and press around. Don't touch the LCD, only because its kinda hard to clean and starts another project within a project, just blow it out so its decent and put the cover back down. No need to remove the cover completely just open it like a door enough to blow it out.

Your best bet is to order a new cover and pre-shaped two way tape, or at least the two way tape. The parts are cheaper than you can believe. Carefully scrape of the old two-way tape from the flange, clean the flange and old LCD with (your choice) but don't drip any fluid onto the LCD and apply the new tape and your LCD cover.

The parts were so cheap I ordered a few of each. I was using screen protectors and don't use them anymore. The LCD cover is pretty hard and mine is not scratched after over a years heavy use... I also must have sealed it well as nothing penetrates the seal around the LCD cover now.
They way I knew I had a leak before is as you I had dust in it. One day using a bulb blower one the back I noticed the dust move under the LCD cover... not good at all! So I knew I had a leak. I was under warranty and thinking of sending it in. But I am the type who feels (within healthy limits of course) I can do the job just as good if not better as I will take my time and make sure its perfect. As I already opened the cover, there was no point shipping it in ...

BTW my strong advice is to send in the unit ASAP.

If you think you can DIYS OK... but if I spent the money Pentax wants for their stuff now, it will be fixed on their dime not mine like last time.

Last edited by jamesm007; 05-14-2011 at 07:57 AM.
06-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #19

Doh! Purchased mine on May 20, 2011. Took it out for a day of shooting today and noticed a significant amount of dust under the LCD glass. Really can't see it in artificial light while the LCD is on but in the bright Sun it looks really bad. I've got a thirty day return policy with the retailer and have initiated a return and replacement for the K-5. The camera stays in a Billlingham bag when not it use and have only used the camera with new limited primes. The dust is getting through from what looks like an LCD glass that was not sealed properly. If dust can get there then so can moisture! The body costs to much to accept such a problem. The only other time I've seen this sor of thing was with a refurbished cell phone from Verizon. I've not seen this with my Canon, Oly or Leica bodies so I definitely feel justified in having my new camera replaced.

Larry

06-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
I found 1 place on-line using the P/N on those plastic bags and they say the tape and screen are for a Pentax K20D, can you say where you purchased yours. Your procedure is great I have a K7 and K5 just yesterday I noticed a small amount of dust under the K7 but it will go back for some warranty repair work in about a month at which time Ill have them change the tape and clean the screen. But I am a DIY person and would like to have a few screen and tape backups
Thanks for the detailed write up.
06-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #21
sap

this happened to my k10, I sent it back, returned within a cupla weeks only too find the dust had accumulated again,its not looking good for the K5,,, :-(
06-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #22
nah

I just my K-5 in the other day. If it comes back and it's not properly sealed again, it's going to be on their dime.

06-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My dust has gotten worse, but I cannot send the camera away now... it's going to have to wait until the end of the summer or I'm going to have to fix it myself.

jamesm007: Did you buy the parts from Pentax directly?
06-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #24

Hi,

I'm not sure that a screen protection will help. I think that we have the LCD itself and a protective glass (which we have in front of us).

Between this glass and us, it should be weather sealed... but between the glass and the LCD itself, it doesn't seem to be! The dust may come from the lens (or when we change the lens) through this part.

Regards.

Malsi
06-09-2011, 04:44 AM   #25

If you look at the picture I posted earlier, you'll know that the dust won't come from the lens. As a matter of fact, neither my any lens or K-5 CMOS sensor has that much dust (nearly zero dust), how come the dust will pass these two elements and go underneath the LCD...

Anyway, I have my K-5 cleaned when I sent it back for double-slapping mirror issue. We'll see how soon the duct will come back later...

How lucky my new K-5 is, which got both quality issues on it...
06-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #26

I have a black K-5 which is about 6 months old, had regular use with a variety of lenses including a bigma (which must be a real mothersucker!) and has zero dust behind the LCD. I also have a Silver K-5 which is a month old, been used with an 18-135, 43 Limited and 77 Limited, supposedly has a bombproof glass cover yet has a large amount of dust mainly to the left hand side of the LCD. Peculiarly it seems to be in two layers - just under the surface of the glass and a couple of millimetres deeper. I have never seen this on any other camera, and I have had plenty. Yet again an indication of poor Pentax quality control.
06-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beardedwombat Quote
I have a black K-5 which is about 6 months old, had regular use with a variety of lenses including a bigma (which must be a real mothersucker!) and has zero dust behind the LCD. I also have a Silver K-5 which is a month old, been used with an 18-135, 43 Limited and 77 Limited, supposedly has a bombproof glass cover yet has a large amount of dust mainly to the left hand side of the LCD. Peculiarly it seems to be in two layers - just under the surface of the glass and a couple of millimetres deeper. I have never seen this on any other camera, and I have had plenty. Yet again an indication of poor Pentax quality control.
Same with my silver. No way I can send it in now since I have a trip coming up... I'll have to live with it until at least August. I just hope mine doesn't develop the crazy-shutter syndrome while on vacation.
06-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #28

Just came back from a trip to London and also found dust under the screen of my silver K5. This is a little bit disappointing. I think I will send it in ~1 month before guarantee runs out, if I dont have any other problems until then ...

k.
07-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote

anyone else with this problem using the 18-135 WR or 18-55 WR? Faulty sealing/suction? Something else?

Anyone have ideas how to clean it?
I have the K5 since January this year, used it plenty with a 18-135 lens as well as the 40 2.8 limited and a 1.4 50mm.
No dust at all yet, though I've used it a lot. Plenty polen this year over here...

Sorry guys, but for me you'll have to return it
07-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #30

My dusty camera is being collected on Monday by City-link for inspection and dismemberment by Pentax UK. Kudos to Mark at Clifton Cameras for arranging. I would prefer a replacement but, of course, it's a Limited Edition and I don't think replacements are available.

The LCD glass appears to be a sandwich construction and some dust is under the outer layer of glass and some is under the inner layer. I think static electricity could be the culprit and suspect that dust is getting in around the edge of the glass as it is being cleaned. I use regularly washed Pentax optical cleaning cloths to wipe LCDs and I'm pretty sure that when I tried to wipe off what I thought was specks of surface dust, more appeared inside. I think it unlikely that zoom lenses are to blame. My other older K-5 has had a wide variety of zooms bolted on and its LCD is pristine. Incidentaly, there are no signs of dust inside the top LCD, only the rear screen. What I cannot understand is how Pentax has managed to introduce a fault into a camera that is reaching the end of its production run and should have all its wrinkles ironed out by now! Hopefully new owners, Ricoh, will kick the appropriate butts and sort out quality control.