Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 focusing problem

Name:  cn sd70m-2.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  120.6 KBI just purchased a k5 and the pics i took are not in focus would a firmware upgrade solve it any other users have the same trouble? Ithe lens i used was a da50-135mm and a da55-300mm.....

Last edited by DILWORTH; 08-15-2011 at 04:57 PM.
08-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More details needed. There Was a firmware release that supposedly took care of focusing problems in low light (less than EV 2 IIRC) but the focus problems that it fixes don't occur in 'normal' lighting. You may also need to adjust your AF for each lens though my 50-135 works fine on my K5.

08-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

post some example pictures with the exif (or the conditions/camera setup).
08-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
Will post tonite thanks

11-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps I need to look into a firmware upgrade. I had a problem in bright light, with a fast lens (FA35/2). The K5 would not lock on a brightly lit white building with dark balconies on the Fla. beach. Aiming down into some vegetation below or using manual focus at infinity worked around it and allowed a shutter activation.
11-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Do the firmware upgrades.......but adjust the lens. I've only had to adjust a couple of lenses but it made a world of difference.
Regards!
11-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Do the firmware upgrades.......but adjust the lens. I've only had to adjust a couple of lenses but it made a world of difference.
Regards!
It is not an adjustment (front or back focus), but failure to lock entirely on bright subjects, but the firmware upgrade sounds like a good idea.

06-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The AF on my K-5 was way off in low light. Upgraded to latest firmware but it didn't help. I used it during many hours in a day for a wedding workshop, and it performed as expected in daylight, and after this, turned it in for repairs.

Got the camera back yesterday - was in town and had a long walk home. I noticed immediately the focus in bright/normal light conditions was off. Micro adjusting to the max wasn't enough. I had 3 lenses with me and same happened with all. One didn't appear to perform better than the other, but hard to say as the focal lengths were different, but again: overall very bad focusing. Completely unusable.

The sun went lower and lower as I was walking and I noticed how the back focusing shifted towards better accuracy. I never did enough testing in low light to validate the repairs. Didn't matter. The cam is practically worse than before now since I shoot more during the day than night or evenings.

Went to the shop again today - we tried their demo model and same problem! Back focus issue in bright light. They then opened another K-5 box - seemingly worked better but then I gave it a try (the shots taken didn't look convincing to me, but also not bad enough to convince the retailer). It too had problems.

Aimed the cam towards a bright sign approx 7m away and the focus was off by 1½ meters. I was able to manually focus more accurately. Yes, bright surfaces/targets, but it was not harshly reflecting light. Should have been piece of cake job. My K-x does a better job.

I had it for repairs for 5 weeks the first time and now it's back in for repairs again - we tried to see if they had another sample which performed as it should but nope. So this is the only choise. I have 2 weddings coming up within the next 3 weeks, so I'm frustrated about this. Not only because of the weddings, but the issues in genereal. I purposely delayed my K-5 purchase because I read about several issues. But then went ahead after more and more comments about the production being fine - and got me a cam with problems.. nice!

The shop are trying to collect a working sample for me - could be K-x, K-r ,K-5. Whatever, so I can borrow it. That's a big plus.

Oh, and they gave me a free t-shirt.. yey

Seriously though - very disappointed at the repairs of this thing. They seemingly fixed the issue - but created another.
06-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Seriously though - very disappointed at the repairs of this thing. They seemingly fixed the issue - but created anothe
May you attach some bad-focus photos with EXIF information?
06-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DILWORTH Quote
purchased a k5 and the pics i took are not in focus would a firmware upgrade solve it any other users have the same trouble?
Forget about firmware, AF adjust etc. Get the basics right.

The problem here looks like you are shooting an angled (and moving) target, without the right shutter speed and aperture. If you look at the image (the grass, the containers at the rear) there are indeed areas of focus, but they match the limited depth of field and focal plane that comes with the focal length and aperture you were using.

Shoot with a faster shutter and f8 or 9, and there'd be no problem here.

Last edited by rawr; 06-22-2012 at 05:51 AM.
06-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Forum Member

Below photo is modified by me with both brightness and contrast increased by 25%. I've found your photo has got an exposure bias of -1 EV and besides, in low light situation, it is suggested to increase the contrast and sharpness of your camera setting.

For photos after repairs, I think you are better to check the electronic contact of your camera mount. I have downloaded several raw files and compared with my own photos with PhotoMe. The "Auto Aperture" of yours are off but I cannot make sure if it can really indicate anything.

I have found you prefer to use F2.0 - F2.8. Do you think it may be better to use F5.6 - F8.0 if the situation is allowed so!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by SKwan; 06-22-2012 at 09:43 AM.
06-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I tried 3 lenses with my cam. Then with 2 lenses on a demo cam at the shop and finally a single lens on a third K-5 that was unpacked just for me - same issue on all of them (to a varying degree). I do not think contacts are the issue here but even if there was a contacts issue, the focus should then not shift as the light got dimmer.

Not sure how contrast and sharpening relates - all pics are "unprocessed" as they are just focus related shots and nothing more.

Large apertures make the issue stand out better. It worked perfectly fine during bright light before. My lenses work perfectly fine with my K-x. Smaller aperture would be a compromise I'm not willing to make.
06-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
Forum Member

Comparison between cameras should be under the same controlled condition. Your photos were produced in difference cameras, lens, aperture, focal length, shutter speed, exposure value needed ... !

1)Degree of Lights, 2)Air Clearness, 3)Focused Points, 4)Brightness, 5)Contrast, 6)Sharpness, 7)Resolution, 8)Magnification are the most important factors affecting how the photos look clear or not. Our eyes can only control the third. Our camera can control the 3-6. The 7-8 are limited by the sensor size and max magnification of camera LCD or PC monitor. These touch how the image and colors are reproduced ... !
06-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think you may have understood my posts.

The purpose of the pics uploaded wasn't to show comparisons but the focus being off. I only have a couple of shots from another K-5 amongst these. The majority of the pics taken by the other cameras rests on a different SD card, in the shop. Comparison shots as a whole is irrelevant at this point.

My problem is that I am not getting the cam to focus where it should be.

Like in this shot:

Aimed for the bike, but its not in focus - the buildings in the far background however, are.

Or this one:

The flag should be hard to miss, yet the focus is still behind it.

Edit: Perhaps you have been viewing the images at a too small size. The images on my site change resolution depending on browser size. You can also hover the mouse cursor over an image and select a larger resolution from the popup menu.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 08-23-2013 at 08:57 AM.
06-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
Forum Member

Your questions should be ...
1) Your K-5 has got a AF issue in low dim light ... it seems back focus or front focus.
2) After repair, your K-5 now cannot really focus on the point you intend to be.

As to two photos newly attached in your email for question-2, it is obvious that your camera cannot successfully focus on the bike and flag you intend to be. Other than the electronic issue of the camera, I know one possibility is that ...
- The AF.S Setting was set as Release-priority.
- You still thought it as Focus-priority and pressed the shutter fully when the fixed-center focus pointed to the bike and flag. Then the photos were taken before focused successfully.

I really hope it is a human issue rather than the issue of your camera!