Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Removing the AA filter from the K5

As the thread title.
The AA filter or the lack of one seems to be the often mentioned solutions for a sharper camera.
As such, I'd like to find out if anyone has done this before on their Pentax (any model).

What would be the implications?
What is the cost?
Where did you do it?

thx in advance.

02-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Perhaps you could send your camera to these people. But it will cost $450....

Hot Rod Visible

"We can remove the AA filter and replace with an optical window with the same refractive index (so that focusing and aperture settings don't change). This allows the camera to perform at its full resolution with one possible drawback - Moiré patterns. However, most photographers would prefer to deal with the occasional Moiré problem by fixing it in Photoshop and are happy to maximize the resolution of their camera.

We can currently convert many different Canon, Nikon and Olympus cameras to HR.. The cost is $450 + return S&H ($20 UPS ground insured domestic USA). We only need camera body, charged battery and cover letter requesting the conversion type. Turn around is usually 1 or 2 days from receipt. Conversions are done in our Class 100 clean room with ionized air and static control surfaces. We have been in business since 1997."
02-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Perhaps you could send your camera to these people. But it will cost $450....

Hot Rod Visible

"We can remove the AA filter and replace with an optical window with the same refractive index (so that focusing and aperture settings don't change). This allows the camera to perform at its full resolution with one possible drawback - Moiré patterns. However, most photographers would prefer to deal with the occasional Moiré problem by fixing it in Photoshop and are happy to maximize the resolution of their camera.

We can currently convert many different Canon, Nikon and Olympus cameras to HR.. The cost is $450 + return S&H ($20 UPS ground insured domestic USA). We only need camera body, charged battery and cover letter requesting the conversion type. Turn around is usually 1 or 2 days from receipt. Conversions are done in our Class 100 clean room with ionized air and static control surfaces. We have been in business since 1997."
Thanks.
I am aware of this site.
Just very curious that the AA filter is so often brought up, so I'd like to see if anyone has a first hand experience.
02-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't do It !

Klaus from photozone do the same operation, it results a unusable K5 !
Photozone - Pentax K5 tests -

"...The K5 seems to be very unique regarding its AA filter characteristic.
After the AA removal the camera produced "shadowed" images for wide-angle settings.
The service company didn't have an explanation but that was the first time the experienced this problem.
I will get a brand new K5 as a replacement, BTW, so the procedure had no impact on my wallet...."

02-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Don't do It !

Klaus from photozone do the same operation, it results a unusable K5 !
Photozone - Pentax K5 tests -

"...The K5 seems to be very unique regarding its AA filter characteristic.
After the AA removal the camera produced "shadowed" images for wide-angle settings.
The service company didn't have an explanation but that was the first time the experienced this problem.
I will get a brand new K5 as a replacement, BTW, so the procedure had no impact on my wallet...."
Woah! Thanks for this!
Really appreciate it.
I read the first 2 pages of that discussion before, but never finished reading the who thread, so I missed that previously.

Ok... looks like no K5 Super for me then
09-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Time to revive this thread as maxmax seems to be listing AA-removal (they call it hotrod mod) for the K5 as part of their services.
Hot Rod Visible

I'm considering this with another vendor, but it will be full spectrum+AA, but the photode experience indicated that AA removal caused problems.
So does anyone have an idea if this is truly resolved/mitigated?