Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 Disassembly Walkthrough

Hello all,

Back in March, 2012 I was on a month long California National Parks road trip. A week into my trip and a few miles down a dirt road in the Mojave Desert not far from Death Valley I stopped to take some sunset photos. During this time I changed lenses only to discover, to my dismay, that my lens release button was gone! Luckily it was on the ground at my feet. I poked it back in to release my lens but it refused to stay in, as I expected. I spent the next three weeks of my trip changing my lenses with a sharpened stick, and actually am still doing that today. My work requires me to travel a lot and the camera is a must have, I'd forget my ID before I forgot my camera. I haven't taken it to a repair shop because I just don't have the time to wait for up to 6 freaking weeks to get it back. I'm not averse to doing the repairs myself but I don't want to walk into it blind. As annoying as this issue is it by no means makes the camera much more difficult to use but my main concern is that the cameras weather tight integrity is broken, especially as I find myself in wet/windy environments quite frequently.

My inquiry is if anyone has access to a disassembly walk-through for the K-5.

About 4 months ago I found a disassembly walk-through for the K10D, my first DSLR. I used the walk-through to convert my K10D to an IR camera since it had been sitting around doing nothing for a couple years. Great fun BTW. If you have an old camera laying around collecting dust I recommend converting it to IR.

Thanks!

05-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is a common flaw. Some people have glued theirs back in; you should be able to search for it (sorry, don't have a link).

I used a finishing nail, myself, in the interim.
05-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest just using you k10d whilst the k-5 is in getting repaired.

You might need some IR blocking filters though.

Or if that will not do, try borrowing/hiring a camera while its away.
05-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #4

i use a thin stripe of duck tape

05-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #5

taped loosely over the release button so it has some needed movement
05-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This happened to me on one of my K5s (the other is solid). It took 3 days for the turnaround repair and I'd recommend that's what you do when you have a break in your work. Might be a lot longer that that over there though as they are extremely fast in repairing and turning it around here.
05-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
This is a common flaw. Some people have glued theirs back in; you should be able to search for it (sorry, don't have a link).

I used a finishing nail, myself, in the interim.
Ditto on this. The button fell off of my K-x (never to be found), so I cut a nail down to size, nestled it through a trimmed piece of a synthetic cork from a wine bottle to keep it from wobbling, and then put some clear packing tape over it. Works just as well as well as the button did, if you don't mind the kludged appearance, and saves the need to disassemble.

Not sure how you'd retain the weatherproofing, though... quick spritz of Rain-Ex?

06-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
Awesome, thanks for all the replies everyone. I guess I'll try to find some down time and have it repaired.

My apologies on the late response, I haven't had any internet access for the past 9 days.
06-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A very timely thread. Just today I noticed my lens release button has fallen out and lost. It must of happened last Sunday. Anyhow, the button is lost and I am leaving on vacation next week. Looks like I will be using a nail.

Dave