Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yet another lens-release-button-fell-off post... :-)

I have had my k5 for nearly a year now, and I love it. It is by far my best camera yet. It didn't have the sensor stain issue, and I regarded the lens-button issue as something even more exotic and improbable. Until last week, that is, when the button fell off of mine.

So... I am still within the warranty period, but I will need to ship my camera off to UK to the retailer, and wait for them to send it in for repairs, for the service provider to return it, and for it to ship back to Denmark. It might take weeks.

I still have the button, so I might go for a glue-it-yourself option also. But then I forfeit my warranty.

I would really like a bit of advice and opinions on this. I have seen threads going both ways in here, but has anyone had bad experiences with the superglue-fix? Is it really worth to wait to send it to the UK?

I HATE the idea of getting along without it for several weeks... And I am just beginning to get more frequent actual paid photo jobs too, I might miss opportunities because of this...

Last edited by MetteHHH; 08-16-2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: typo
08-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #2

Gluing it back on could be problomatic if the glue migrates towards the body & sticks everything together - on a K5 still under warranty, there's no question in my mind - send it back to get it repaired!
08-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

someone in another thread did mention that Pentax will send a DIY replacement kit for this particular problem and you don't have send the camera in for repair. My suggestion is to contact Pentax support to get the details.
08-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
aleonx3, thanks, I read that thread too.

The thing is, there is no Pentax support left in Denmark. The importer told me to call the retailer - and the retailer said to send it to them, and THEY would contact Pentax support in the UK.

I got the impression that the DIY-kit was really just a replacement button with a silicon collar, but I still HAVE the button, collar included, because it fell off inside our house when I took the camera out of the bag. So I don't really need a new button I guess.

If I sent it in and got a new replacement camera I would consider myself lucky - there is nothing wrong with my camera, but it does have around 30,000 actuations, so I wouldn't mind starting from 0 again. But I guess the chances of that happening are very slim in any case.

08-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
So... I am still within the warranty period, but I will need to ship my camera off to UK to the retailer, and wait for them to send it in for repairs, for the service provider to return it, and for it to ship back to Denmark. It might take weeks.
Pentax's authorised repairer in the UK is Johnsons Photopia.

It would be worth checking with them to see if you can send it directly to them.

If you can, it would save a lot of steps in the shipping.
08-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
aleonx3, thanks, I read that thread too.

The thing is, there is no Pentax support left in Denmark. The importer told me to call the retailer - and the retailer said to send it to them, and THEY would contact Pentax support in the UK.

I got the impression that the DIY-kit was really just a replacement button with a silicon collar, but I still HAVE the button, collar included, because it fell off inside our house when I took the camera out of the bag. So I don't really need a new button I guess.

If I sent it in and got a new replacement camera I would consider myself lucky - there is nothing wrong with my camera, but it does have around 30,000 actuations, so I wouldn't mind starting from 0 again. But I guess the chances of that happening are very slim in any case.
Lucky that you found it.. I've got a one day trip to go on before I send mine in.
08-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My button fell off and I sent it into CRIS in Chandler, Arizona. I live in CA and the turn around time was about a week and a half. I was actually one month out of my warranty period but they serviced it anyways without question.......and I had purchased my camera in Canada. All they asked for was proof of purchase.

08-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

How does one contact CRIS?
08-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks ChrisA, I sent them an email now to ask if it's possible to send it to them directly, what the turn around time might be and whether they would advice against glueing it back on myself. (I guess they would)

tabl10s, if you lost the button and the camera is still under warranty, I am sure they will supply a new one? I'm happy I have mine, because it allows me to change optics still (just pushing it back into the button-cavity works fine- it just doesn't stay in place...)
09-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I should end this thread with a happy-end-story! :-)

Two weeks ago today, I sent my k5 directly to the UK Pentax service provider, Johnson's Photopia. I emailed them first, and they promised to mark it as urgent. Their normal turn arond time is 11-15 work days. They were only allowed to return it to a UK address, but that was fine since my brother lives in London.

The camera arrived in the UK on Monday last week, and Tuesday this week my brother got the camera back from service. He shipped it to me, and I had it back yesterday. In addition to replacing the lens release button, Johnsons Photopia also gave the camera a full cleaning and updated the firmware! (Didn't even realise I had missed an update).

So, thanks again ChrisA for your great advice, and thanks to Johnsons Photopia and Pentax UK for great service!

Last edited by MetteHHH; 09-28-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Typos!