Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens release button lost

The lens release button of my K5 somehow came off and is lost. As far as I can remember this is not an uncommon occurence. However, didn't expect mine to fail, but it did. My warranty expires in 6 days. Called Pentax and they told me to ship it to CRIS in Chandler AZ for repair. When I asked if they could just give me the part they replied in negative. So now I have to send this camera to AZ for them to affix a plastic button.

09-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Or deal with an alternate means of depressing the lens release. Like a fingernail. Or a pen. Or a ________
09-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, that's how I changed lenses. But I need to get a proper repair work done for the long run and future resale maybe. Pentax told me to ship it with the lens and to avoid poking it with anything to remove the lens!
09-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by debmalya Quote
Yes, that's how I changed lenses. But I need to get a proper repair work done for the long run and future resale maybe. Pentax told me to ship it with the lens and to avoid poking it with anything to remove the lens!
Yikes. Well, send it in, and deal with a camera phone for a few days?(You'll hate your life, but you'll love the K-5 more once you comes back)

09-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It happens alot actually.

We had two K-5's and both lost their lens release buttons.
I sent my own in to get fixed, and a few months later my wife's fell off as well.
Ironically, both buttons were never found(magic?)

The fact that Pentax will fix it for free is rather reassuring, though it can be a real PITA if it happens during a shoot etc.

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-17-2012 at 08:56 PM.
09-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest use of a paper clip or two as the replacement. Worked for me, I kept it on my key ring.
09-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

mine is missing at the moment and i found a suitable piece of a toy to use to press it.
I also called Pentax and they refused to send me the part. I have a trip to hawaii coming up in 3 weeks and just dont know when i'll ever be able to be without my camera.

09-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Maybe you can convince the guys at CRIS to send you an extra button on the sly for the next time it falls off? I wonder how tight their inventory control is. I imagine them twisting the buttons off a plastic sheet that has dozens on it like the parts on those old plastic model cars...
09-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wonder if the K-5 II has seen some changes in the way the K-5 lens release button mechanism is designed or assembled? They fixed up the AF, maybe they had a go at fixing this issue too?

I haven't seen any mention of any design or assembly improvements from any of the Photokina PR Maybe someone who is over there should ask a Pentax rep about it.
09-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
mine is missing at the moment and i found a suitable piece of a toy to use to press it.
I also called Pentax and they refused to send me the part. I have a trip to hawaii coming up in 3 weeks and just dont know when i'll ever be able to be without my camera.
Me too... I requested them to send me a replacement, which I could probably press on myself but they refused to. They were quite adamant about me having to send it in for repair - for something so common and trivial. It cost me $25 with postage and insurance to send it in. I guess they are betting that some people will not send their's in for repair to avoid the postage and insurance expenses and they can save some trouble and money.
09-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #11

Original Poster
Me too... I requested them to send me a replacement, which I could probably press on myself but they refused to. They were quite adamant about me having to send it in for repair - for something so common and trivial. It cost me $25 with postage and insurance to send it in. I guess they are betting that some people will not send their's in for repair to avoid the postage and insurance expenses and they can save some trouble and money.
I doubt they would. Pentax refused to provide the replacement part.
09-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I used a pin to get the lens off. Follow the instructions on the CRIS site exactly.
09-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
I used a pin to get the lens off. Follow the instructions on the CRIS site exactly.
Damn... should I have also included return shipping cost? Mine is still within the standard 1 year warranty period.
09-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #14

Original Poster
Just spoke to CRIS cam - a customer service rep. lady confirmed that return shipment is covered under warranty. She also said that they do not stock the part (she said she checked the inventory) and would have to order from Pentax after they receive the camera. Will take 3-4 weeks for Pentax to supply them the part, repair and then ship it back. What a great camera Pentax makes!
09-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I doubt they would. Pentax refused to provide the replacement part.
Here in Canada, they offered to send in a button for $14.00.
Though they also informed me that installing it would void the warranty.
At any rate, I don't think it's a big enough deal to ponder over tbh, best to just send in the unit and have it done right imo.