Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
well at least you found a workaround for the problem. I think the 645D has a similar problem when you use a lens without information contacts - I'll test that in the studio tomorrow.

02-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #17

Thanks for the followup Nass. I don't have a problem introducing a deglasseed lens into the connector train as long as it's not an expensive option. What lens are you using for this purpose? If I'm going to butcher an old lens I want to make sure I can buy a cheapo, hazy, scratched, one off EBay.

Your workaround got me thinking, I wonder if a chipped adapter would fit the fooling the camera bill?

So as I understand it, even with the the gutted lens fix, the pop up flash won't fire on the rear shutter sync, rather one needs an external PTTL flash?

Thanks for your time.
02-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I use a deglassed -a 50 f/1.7, I had several of them lying around so didn't feel too awful about butchering it.

Just for the record, my rear sync issue was a very very specific one, so I hope I'm not prodding people down the wrong path. I use manual mode for some of my extreme macros because I mix ambient and flash. I use things like objectives and reversed enlarger lenses which Pentax classifies as 'manual' because they're not modern lenses with aperture contacts etc. On K-7, the Metz 58-II worked fine using it on its manual mode (ie the one with 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc) settings with rear sync also set, used as master to trigger a bunch of Pentax 540s and 360s. This works just fine (which is why I was surprised to hear this being a problem on 645d, they came out the same time I thought?).

But, something has changed on the Pentax end with the K-5. On the K-5, using exactly the same lens and setup above, the rear sync flash comes after the curtain is already down, which is stellarly useless. To make it come where it's supposed to, it needs to have a modern lens mounted (ie not a manual one in Pentax speak like I use, objectives, reversed etc). So, to fool the K-5 into thinking it has a modern non manual lens, I take a lens with contacts (-a 50 f/1.7) but remove all optics, and using araldite and bits and pieces just basically make an extension tube out of it.

Fwiw, I wanted to use this new 40mm 9mm lens for this purpose but the aperture didn't look large enough to me for a decent image circle, hence the use of the 50 which has a huge image circle with its 1.7 aperture.

Hope that helps!