Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 with occasionally stuck shutter

My K-5's shutter seems to be getting stuck now and then. It's making me miss shots. Mostly it sticks closed (won't take a photo), but sometimes it sticks open (black viewfinder). I suppose it could be the mirror, not the shutter, getting stuck. But has anyone had this problem before, and is there anything I can do for it, aside from sending it to CRIS? The K-5 has about 27,000 actuations on it.

12-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is there any pattern to when these issues occur - eg after a long shoot, or using any particular AF or exposure mode, or with grip/ without grip attached, or using any particular lens, or only on hot days? Etc.
12-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't noticed any patterns, but I'm trying to. So far, it's happened with manual and AF lenses, HSM & screw drive, Pentax and third-party, and minutes after starting the camera up, as well as after an hour of usage.
12-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
I haven't noticed any patterns, but I'm trying to. So far, it's happened with manual and AF lenses, HSM & screw drive, Pentax and third-party, and minutes after starting the camera up, as well as after an hour of usage.
Yes, I had exact same problem, only way ti get mirror to drop back was to tap the camera. Started happening when the camera was 9 months old, first it was once a week, then once a day then 3 times a day..... got a K30 and sent my K5 off for repair. Normally happened after a continuous burst but latterly after a single shot - new battery, old battery no difference, sometimes got a battery depleted message.Outdoors in the cold and wet, in the sun, indoors in the warm, happened everywhere. Google tells me it is probably a faulty mirror actuating motor ( which fits with the battery depleted message too - actuator stuck, pulling large current trying to move) So far no news on the K5 (luckily still under warranty) the K30 is a good substitute and was very cheap.

12-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #5

Had same problem, same symptoms. Camera out of Warranty. CRIS replaced mirror motor, no problems. I can't remember the exact cost of the repair. No problems since then.
12-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Yes, I had exact same problem, only way ti get mirror to drop back was to tap the camera. Started happening when the camera was 9 months old, first it was once a week, then once a day then 3 times a day..... got a K30 and sent my K5 off for repair. Normally happened after a continuous burst but latterly after a single shot - new battery, old battery no difference, sometimes got a battery depleted message.Outdoors in the cold and wet, in the sun, indoors in the warm, happened everywhere. Google tells me it is probably a faulty mirror actuating motor ( which fits with the battery depleted message too - actuator stuck, pulling large current trying to move) So far no news on the K5 (luckily still under warranty) the K30 is a good substitute and was very cheap.
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Had same problem, same symptoms. Camera out of Warranty. CRIS replaced mirror motor, no problems. I can't remember the exact cost of the repair. No problems since then.
Thanks for the info. Sounds exactly like my problem. I guess I'll end up sending the camera in, probably in January. Fortunately, I have my K-01 backup! I love that thing, though I still prefer my K-5.
12-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds exactly like my problem. I guess I'll end up sending the camera in, probably in January. Fortunately, I have my K-01 backup! I love that thing, though I still prefer my K-5.
Just received my K5 back from the UK service agent, they repaired it in 7 working days, 12 days door to door. Mirror motor replaced, which is what I assumed would happen based on posts here and elsewhere on the net.

12-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #8

My K-5's shutter seems to be getting stuck now and then. It's making me miss shots. Mostly it sticks closed (won't take a photo), but sometimes it sticks open (black viewfinder). I suppose it could be the mirror, not the shutter, getting stuck. But has anyone had this problem before, and is there anything I can do for it, aside from sending it to CRIS? The K-5 has about 27,000 actuations on it.
Yes. Eventually, it was permanently stuck. I had to send it in to CRIS for the mirror motor repair.
12-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
Yes. Eventually, it was permanently stuck. I had to send it in to CRIS for the mirror motor repair.
What did it end up costing?
01-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it happened. The shutter/mirror finally locked up completely. I'll be sending it off tomorrow.
01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I think I might be headed down this road
Does it make a noise but not release ?
Pete
01-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I think I might be headed down this road
Does it make a noise but not release ?
Pete
It would make a little "trying to move" noise, but not much. It depended on whether or not it was stuck up or down - it stuck both places. Also, I sent it out on the 7th of January, and I'm still waiting. CRIS is pretty slow.
01-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Trying to move pretty much covers it...
I'll be sending mine to Aussie where they have a good rep

now contemplating a temporary replacement.
Kx's are getting cheaper here now though even *ist still attract keen interest
Pete in NZ
01-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My backup is the K-01. Over here, it's $316 new, which is an excellent deal.
01-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

No K-01 discounts in NZ
No Pentax discounts in NZ for that matter...
picked up a K100D with FAJ 75-300 for $us150 as a stopgap