Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 lens release button awol

Okay, I picked up my K-5 to switch lenses and realized my lens release button is missing. Is there any easy fix for this or do I have to send it back for warranty work and be without it for a month over the holidays. Is this a common occurence? Help, I'm not sure I want/need a constant 24mm lens.

12-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My button has not fallen off (yet - knock on wood).... However, I had come across the threads before, but did not realize that here were at least three of them - now, one at least 11 pages long. What was interesting was (just a compendium of items from over 15 pages of posts). Also, just from counting instances of "lost" buttons reported in ONE of these threads - I stopped at 10 failures...
  • CRIS does not stock the button as a replacement part - actually one post indicates Pentax does not - and each "part" needs to be ordered individually from Pentax which takes 3 to 4 weeks.
  • CRIS does not sell individual parts such as these, however Pentax Canada does for $14 dollars - however if YOU install it you void the warranty.
  • Pentax Sweden covers the repair under warranty (and I am guessing the body needs to still be with in the warranty period).
  • Others have paid $100 to 120€ for the repair
  • In Germany - it needs about 14 days to repair and was covered from the warranty
  • When you are out of warranty - "I already know CRIS will charge me $130 to fix."
  • JohnBee had it happen to both of his K5s - what is the probability of that occurring?
  • Folks are hoping that the K5II has a "design improvement".
  • Then there is the Orange Button of Shame - the Lego fix - see the third link....

I just ran across this gem of a post...

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-16-2012 at 04:20 AM.
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for taking the time and the effort to try to summarize this issue.

Before I found this post and Sunder's Lens button replacement, I'd already called Pentax support and checked the C.R.I.S. website for a camera repair estimate; both were ~$200. (:-(

Called Pentax parts department 720-988-2653 (in nearby Denver) and they're shipping me the parts tomorrow; so inexpensive they're not charging me. (:-) A far superior solution - and much happier customer/user! - than being without the camera for weeks (how long depends on whether or not the repair place has the parts in stock) and paying a hefty $200 repair charge. I think it's unconscionable for Pentax support to only offer the $200 repair option - to not tell the user about the free parts and simple DIY repair.

02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Anyway, here's what the camera looks like without the button: IMGP8180 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
03-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

Same thing happened. Camera was repaired in 2 working days - kind of makes one think, that they are well stocked with these buttons.

Looked at the receipt - button itself 6 €, work 150 €. This is a robbery.
04-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I dropped my K-5 off to have a lens release button installed - three days before my extended warranty runs out. such a tidbit is an inexcusable design flaw.

04-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TreeHuggerDoug Quote
Thanks for taking the time and the effort to try to summarize this issue.

Before I found this post and Sunder's Lens button replacement, I'd already called Pentax support and checked the C.R.I.S. website for a camera repair estimate; both were ~$200. (:-(

Called Pentax parts department 720-988-2653 (in nearby Denver) and they're shipping me the parts tomorrow; so inexpensive they're not charging me. (:-) A far superior solution - and much happier customer/user! - than being without the camera for weeks (how long depends on whether or not the repair place has the parts in stock) and paying a hefty $200 repair charge. I think it's unconscionable for Pentax support to only offer the $200 repair option - to not tell the user about the free parts and simple DIY repair.

Pentax told me today that button installation is not a user option. They would not send the parts.