Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
K-5 over sensetive to LED lights

Anyone else that have experienced this "issue" ?
I have problems with concerts and events where they use LED and laser lights... it just seams like Pentax illuminates it like flourent light.
When i take the same picture with Canon / Nikon it does not appear like this...

Anyone have any tip?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
12-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd be surprised that the Canon/Nikon's don't do the same. My k-x suffers from LED lights as well.
12-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Do you have comparison shots?

I don't see why it would be any different if all settings are equal, the other brands are subjected to the same physics of light as the K-5 and LEDs can be evil for photography, right up there with old low frequency fluorescent fixtures.
12-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I can look in my concert archive tomorrow. I just sold all my Canon gear and bought Limiteds instead

12-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

ISO 3200 ƒ/2.8 1/30, —> dark room.

In a dark room, an LED light may be, relatively speaking, very bright, so as to overexpose at an otherwise proper exposure.

That's my guess.
12-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxExpedition Quote
I can look in my concert archive tomorrow. I just sold all my Canon gear and bought Limiteds instead
Well that's something worth selling your Canon gear for! Which ones did you get (I don't see any listed in your profile)?
12-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

LED characteristic is a very pure spike wavelength - so LED lights tend to over-saturate the corresponding color channel(s) - this affects almost all digital cameras -
it has been a long on-going problem and others are now talking about it.

FWIW - I had a long running thread:

Modern LED Stage Lighting & photography problems

where I had to learn to tackle overwhelming mono-color LED washes and deal with magenta lighting made up of only red and blue LEDs. Some mitigation post processing techniques were discussed.

Hope that helps

12-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The quality, manufacturing and the light characteristics of LED are evolving fast, what was an issue a few months ago might be a nonissue now.
But still, some LEDs are of bad quality and poorly powered, which is as important as the Diode itself.
I am using LED lights in my studio for about a year now, the Rosco's LitePad HO, these are built for photography and don't show any major issues, beside a faint green dominant which can be corrected with a 1/8 minus Green filter on the torch (see: PHOTOEIL , the reproduction on the web is rather poor).
And be aware of monochromatic lights, particularly the LEDs, these are emitting a kind of over saturated, peaking narrow wave, light which is difficult to be handled by the post processing software (and some cameras).
Any light source that is deviating from the CIE CRI, the D5000 standard and has a colour dominant, can be considered as more or less monochromatic because a part of the (visual-) spectrum is cut away.
Read the very interesting postings by Ben-Edect!

It has all to do with budget, application, purpose and how they are built.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CRCca6-color_rendering_index.pdf (44.0 KB, 1148 views)
File Type: pdf color_rendering_index.pdf (216.1 KB, 266 views)
12-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well this is also in sportsarena's with commercials on the side off a field.
12-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well this is also in sportsarena's with commercials on the side off a field.
Yes, these are even worse to handle, mainly because of the variating intensity!
12-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Yes, these are even worse to handle, mainly because of the variating intensity!
Happened to me when I was shooting with my D700 (did not sell it for that reason though). It's not just Pentax.