Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I still don't understand what you are measuring, but here's something. I don't have the kit lens, but with the 18-250 set on 18mm which gives an aperture of 3.5, if I set to ISO 5000 (I had to get my "EV steps" and "Sensitivity Steps" settings right just to make 5000 available as choice) with caps on, I get 1/10s at 3.5. BUT, if I then switch from matrix metering to center or spot, it goes to 1/4s.
Bingo!!! THANK YOU!!!

That's was it -

if I set
matrix - 1/8sec
center weighted - 1/4 sec!
spot metering - 0.3"

OK, what I was trying to do/test/measure - strictly speaking was what the K-5 would set for exposure at zero light conditions (ie: below the spec'd meter limit of the K-5) -
and the easiest way I can achieve that was to put the lens cap on and block the viewfinder eye-piece.

I do realize once outside of the specs and all bets could be off -
however I know from years of usage experience - my Pentax K-x sets the lowest limit exposure, and anything below that limit - it just keeps that same lowest exposure settings.
This appears to hold true for my copy of the K-5 too -
therefore by my inference: if I put the lens cap on (and block the viewfinder) the exposure setting I get is whatever the K-5 will set for the lowest light level it can meter.
- please see my thoughts when I first tried to determine the lowest metering limits on my K-x - Post #132 (linked in the Kx in Use)

Thank you so much for solving my "mystery" -
it did not occur to me to change the metering patterns -
I know it is obvious once shown - but I missed it.

Thank you for pointing it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by TrueFocus Quote
That is the solution! I just re-metered, also covered the eyepiece. Matrix metering: 1/8s. Center Weighted: 1/4s. Spot Metering: 0.3s.
Thank you TrueFocus - our posts must have crossed -
yes indeed you can tell from my jubilation to have my "mystery" solved.

Thank you again for being helpful.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 01-07-2013 at 11:10 AM.
01-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Bingo!!! THANK YOU!!!

That's was it -

if I set
matrix - 1/8sec
center weighted - 1/4 sec!
spot metering - 0.3"

OK, what I was trying to do/test/measure - strictly speaking was what the K-5 would set for exposure at zero light conditions (ie: below the spec'd meter limit of the K-5) -
and the easiest way I can achieve that was to put the lens cap on and block the viewfinder eye-piece.

I do realize once outside of the specs and all bets could be off -
however I know from years of usage experience - my Pentax K-x sets the lowest limit exposure, and anything below that limit - it just keeps that same lowest exposure settings.
This appears to hold true for my copy of the K-5 too -
therefore by my inference: if I put the lens cap on (and block the viewfinder) the exposure setting I get is whatever the K-5 will set for the lowest light level it can meter.
- please see my thoughts when I first tried to determine the lowest metering limits on my K-x - Post #132 (linked in the Kx in Use)

Thank you so much for solving my "mystery" -
it did not occur to me to change the metering patterns -
I know it is obvious once shown - but I missed it.

Thank you for pointing it out.

Thank you TrueFocus - our posts must have crossed -
yes indeed you can tell from my jubilation to have my "mystery" solved.

Thank you again for being helpful.
Interesting. And the difference between modes is why? The center spot meter is more sensitive, I suppose?
01-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #18
Forum Member

You got me intrigued though... how do you intend to use the K-5?

I don't think that I have ever had a situation where the K-5 wouldn't have been able to meter and I have taken pictures in very dark situations.
01-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Interesting. And the difference between modes is why? The center spot meter is more sensitive, I suppose?
I am not sure either - but that also would be my guess -
in the past days of handheld meters - I think a lot of spot meters appeared to be more sensitive than general run-of -the-mill average meters -
but then again it could be just because they were "run-of -the-mill"

01-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You got me intrigued though... how do you intend to use the K-5?
I don't think that I have ever had a situation where the K-5 wouldn't have been able to meter and I have taken pictures in very dark situations.
The same as I had been using my K-x.

That is mostly music concerts at larger venues where I need the versatility of interchangeable lens (albeit I have existed on only the two humblest kit zooms)
and (obviously) for very low light work -

The latter is mostly at a very dark jazz club where I have now shot for over 3 years on an almost weekly basis
(yes, the music is great and photography always a challenge because of the very low light levels in places)
mostly on stage there is fine with normal challenges like face in shade due to hats or strong backlighting -
but lots of music is actually played off stage from the audience area -
and that is definitely as low or below both the metering and AF limits of my K-x and now the K-5.

Best is if I just link the over 3 years' worth of posts in this thread:

Kx in Use ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

and my new continuing thread with the K-5 -

K-5 in Use ( 1 2)

Here's one of the K-5 shots that made me aware of the issue regarding the lowest shutter speed set:

Original resized only EXIF attached:

Metering segment LVs:

Here's a similar conditioned K-x shot:
@ 1/4sec- EXIF is attached to the smaller resized original - as labeled -

the playing here was so spirited I had to try to get a shot - almost nothing to focus on - I think in the end I had to use either the fire extinguisher label or the sign above pointing to it.

Original resized only EXIF attached:

metering LV segments:

If there is any interest - picasa link in my sig is where I have albums of this low light stuff -
4 albums now of ~500 pix for the first 3
- search for Pure Soundz. (with a "z")

Thanks for your help and interest.
01-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #21
Forum Member

I see, nice dedication! Must be really dark there. If I was you I would try to get a prime eventually. Even the SMC 50mm f1.8 would make a huge difference in low-light.
01-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see, nice dedication! Must be really dark there. If I was you I would try to get a prime eventually. Even the SMC 50mm f1.8 would make a huge difference in low-light.
Yes, I call it "ridiculously" dark there
I used a f/2 50mm prime - but on APS-C crop sensor this is about 75mm way too long for my work where I am usually at 18mm for the 18-55zoom which is f/3.5 max this is not too disadvantaged when 18mm wide zoom max are f/2.8 - I am only giving up 2/3 stop -

Please remember I've been doing this for over 3 years and on an almost weekly basis with over 1,700 pics posted -
I would not deliberately hamstring myself - I seem to manage quite well with what I have/had -
the beauty is with the K-x onwards have such great HighISO performance that I can use the humble kit zooms in conditions that were once regarded as almost impossible.

Thanks

01-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
Forum Member

Damn... it must be darker in there than I imagined then!
If you hardly ever use anything else but 18mm then obviously a 50mm prime makes much less sense.

Considering the exposure, I have noticed that my K-5 prefers to meter a bit darker than other SLR's at the same conditions.
Which isn't really an issue for me, I prefer it that way.