Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It looks like they have their webstore up and running now and the K-5 plates are listed.

Mestos PD-K5HL L Plate for Pentax K5, K7 Vertical Grip - madforcamera.com

02-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Plate arrived this morning and it fits like a glove on the gripped K-5. It's pretty solidly built and very light. The only thing I wish they would have added to it would be the ability to the little safety screws like Benro plates have.
02-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
Plate arrived this morning and it fits like a glove on the gripped K-5. It's pretty solidly built and very light. The only thing I wish they would have added to it would be the ability to the little safety screws like Benro plates have.
Their plates are very nice - very happy with mine.

You will find that camera plates will not have the safety stop screws like the lens plates do in any brand.
02-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really like the plate. What choice do we have, it's the only one on the market like it. I have a Fittest L-plate for my K-20 that does have the safety screws and I'm glad because it's almost fallen out of my gimbal head a couple times but thankfully the screws stopped it.

02-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I really like the plate. What choice do we have, it's the only one on the market like it. I have a Fittest L-plate for my K-20 that does have the safety screws and I'm glad because it's almost fallen out of my gimbal head a couple times but thankfully the screws stopped it.
I stand corrected then - I've never used an L-plate. Yes, the safety stops have saved me a couple times also while using my gimbal head. I am guessing you have changed the orientation of the clamp on the gimbal head to accommodate mounting a camera directly to it?
02-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Sunwayfoto generic L-plate has the safety screws in both the base and the side mount, but I must admit I don't have then in there as It slowed down the "flipping" from portrait to landscape use of the L=plate when out shooting, I have it on my *istD now, and a Mestos on the K-5, so dont miss the stops.

Did you get you Desmond Gimbal Stan???
02-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Did you get you Desmond Gimbal Stan???
Yes I did - received it last week but haven't actually used it yet. It is similar in build to the Opteka I already had. I might take the forward/aft axis joint apart and lubricate it as I did with my other one - made a world of difference. I'm very happy with it for the price I paid - thanks again for the help!

02-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good to hear, happy to lend a hand..
02-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I am guessing you have changed the orientation of the clamp on the gimbal head to accommodate mounting a camera directly to it?
You are correct. I use my gimbal head as a side mount only.
04-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #25

Hi everyone,

My first post on this forum...

I just picked up a K-5 a couple of weeks ago and am enjoying it.

It seems like the Mestos is the only dedicated L plate for the K5 available. I am interested in getting one for a body without the grip. Does anyone here use the Mestos for that set-up? If so, could you comment on whether the fit is snug/tight on the body?

thanks!
Vijay
04-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaypf Quote
Hi everyone,

My first post on this forum...

I just picked up a K-5 a couple of weeks ago and am enjoying it.

It seems like the Mestos is the only dedicated L plate for the K5 available. I am interested in getting one for a body without the grip. Does anyone here use the Mestos for that set-up? If so, could you comment on whether the fit is snug/tight on the body?

thanks!
Vijay
Welcome to PF!

I have both Mestos plates - one for on the camera body only, and one for the grip. Both plates are a superb fit and made very well. Here is my post about the plates. I only have photos of the plate installed on the grip there.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/187763-me...ml#post1992132

Edit to ad: I see you are looking for the L-plate for the body - sorry!
04-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

... It seems like the Mestos is the only dedicated L plate for the K5 available. I am interested in getting one for a body without the grip.
No, the Really Right Stuff L-Plate listed for the K-7 works great on the K-5. It has Arca-Swiss-style tripod plates so you need a ball head that will accept it. Of course, it works perfectly on my RRS head.
04-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #28

abmj, stormtech,

Thanks for the replies!

stormtech,

Did you order your plates through their website? I'm a little hesitant to order from a website that doesn't even have an email address listed.

Vijay
04-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
Veteran Member

abmj, stormtech,

Thanks for the replies!

stormtech,

Did you order your plates through their website? I'm a little hesitant to order from a website that doesn't even have an email address listed.

Vijay
The same vendor used to sell on ebay. They had quite an extensive inventory when I bought mine. For some reason they stopped selling on ebay and opened their own web store that you see now. I do know that it is the same person who had the ebay store that now has the web store. I received excellent service - even had a question about an item I could not find in their ebay store - within 2 hours I had a response and the item I was looking for added to their store. Great service.

With all that said, I wouldn't be afraid to order from their web store. I know exactly what you mean by being hesitant to order something from another country from a little known website.

Well maybe not......... I just looked at their website - when I clicked on "about us" and "contact" I get pretty much blank pages. Myself.....I would shy away from any such website. It's a shame as I know the vendor was great when on ebay. One thing however is that the only payment they accept is PayPal so you would have protection with that. Maybe someone can chime in who has ordered from the web store.
04-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #30
Forum Member

It looks like they have their webstore up and running now and the K-5 plates are listed. Mestos PD-K5HL L Plate for Pentax K5, K7 Vertical Grip - madforcamera.com
YESSSS!
woot
edit: GAH.. I wooted too soon.
All I want is an L bracket like this that fits over the BDG-4 and is manfrotto RC2 compatible.

Last edited by BETLOG; 04-15-2013 at 12:05 AM.