Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #1

k5-II -> to blue cast - mostly sunny sea + rice-fields

hallo there
i have a question:
bevor i had always nikon-cameras, but problems with the autofocus, so i decided to buy a K5-II.
with the AF i'm now very happy (much bether than the nikon-dslr), but with the withe-comparison i'm very unhappy (nikon-dslr was much bether in the result .. never to blue cast) ..
but mostly only a problem with pictures from sunny-sea or sunny big rice-fileds.
best you look self to my exampels .. i hope there is a solution or answer for this .. i tried many things (mostly with the withe-comparison/adjustement) but i come always in the same trouble.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
02-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The white balance in the first photo looks fine to me but a polarizing filter would take care of the haze that appears in front of the mountains.

The second photo appears to have an incorrect white balance selected. Looking at your EXIF data, it states "manual". I believe you may have selected the incorrect setting. I typically keep my cameras on auto unless I am inside or shooting at night.
02-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pluto Quote
had always nikon-cameras, but problems with the autofocus, so i decided to buy a K5-II. with the AF i'm now very happy (much bether than the nikon-dslr),
ROFLMAO

Both images look a little over saturated to me. Have you been adjusting the jpg parameters? And what image finishing tone do you have set? I am not sure if this ability is present in Nikon but with Pentax you can customize how the jpeg gets cooked. Which is useful and dangerous if you do so by accident. Check to see if anything was changed in the jpeg settings.
02-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
ok .. thanks for answer .. the 2nd photo is not a good example from this point .. the white-balance is on manuel WHY i had so much trouble to find the realistic colors in many cases .. but i search other examples where the withe-balance is on automatic .. wait

02-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
here are other examples .. one goes to green + violett .. i have many pictures like this .. this are no pictures wich i like, but good examples
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
02-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
umpps .. i see the problem .. in the exif stays: creative-programm .. shit .. i never selected ist ..
02-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
ok .. here two more with auto-white-balance and no program-mode (but on the end .. the main-problem, what influenced me much in critical mind, was this programm-mode) ..
what me anyway brake a liitle bit is often the white-shadows araound subtil green (leaves and gras) or often blue-shadows.. what to do?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
02-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
shit again .. i don't saw the manual-exposure-mode on both, and the manual-white-balance on one .. i must overwork my exif-viewer (the pentax-tool show nothing .. and my viewer only parts ..)
02-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #9

Original Poster
but .. the exposure-mode was on automatic, in both pictures i set down the EV: in one 0.3 EV down and in the other 0.7 EV .. that shoud not be the problem or?

on the end are two pictures from this 6 upload's on my critic: the first one and the 2nd last
02-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #10
Forum Member

There are many factors that influence the final image.
The tamron 18-200 is somewhat prone to CA's which could impact the WB slightly.

You could try the following to narrow it down a bit (do it in the same photo session so the results can be compared).

Set mode wheel to green (auto) mode. Check the menus to verify that everything really is set to auto.
Press right dpad button and check that WB is set to auto and that the green dot in the grid is centered.
Try different apertures (f5.6, f8, f11) and focal lengths at the extremes and in the middle (18mm, 100mm, 200mm).

Try to take 2 identical pictures (same settings for everything) with and without Live View ("LV" button).
In Live View the camera is using the imaging sensor to do all measurements, some deviation is to be expected though.

You can also setup a White Balance bias (right dpad button, and then once more right dpad button), for example having auto WB with +3 on tint and +3 on temp.

On a final note, I took myself the liberty to edit, slightly, one of your attached photos and fix the WB.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
02-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
Forum Member

P.S.

Another one of your pictures, this one was shot with auto WB and I can see that they really are too blue-ish.

P.P.S Tamron usually produces slightly warmer colors than Pentax, which is even weirder.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
02-17-2013, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Set your jpg to "natural" and your white balance to auto and you'll be happy with 99% of your shots.
02-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #13

Original Poster
@TrueFocus: many thanks for your inputs .. perhaps to many to do .. but when i still get to much problems i will try some of your tipps
@johnyates: this should be right in daytime, but in evening-time or very dark days, i experienced realy very bad auto-white-balance .. special on sunset-time i always must correct the balance, but this is ok .. i can life good with it .. would borring for me, when i nothing would can adjust to the bether ;-)
thank's for all .. now i'm shure that my K5 II is ok ..
03-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #14

Original Poster
on the end:
all this auto-programms are bullshit .. i had all problems (over 2000 photos) only why i photographed on P ..
now i switched to manual and all is good!!!!!
(not any more unnatural color-problems)

Last edited by pluto; 03-14-2013 at 10:33 PM.
03-15-2013, 04:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pluto Quote
on the end:
all this auto-programms are bullshit .. i had all problems (over 2000 photos) only why i photographed on P ..
now i switched to manual and all is good!!!!!
(not any more unnatural color-problems)
Changing mode from P to M does not affect white balance.