Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-r vs. K-x ISO samples (or return of the ISO flower!)

Hey all,

When I frst got my K-x, I did a series of comparison pictures with it and my old K-2000 (K-m for our overseas friends). Now that I have my K-r, I've done a new series of comparison phios along with the requisite ISO elevators of 100% crops.

Pentax K-r Measurebation - a set on Flickr

All were shot in DNG RAW and processed with no additional noise reduction in the included Pentax RAW processor. I've added grey, high-key, and low-key ISO elevators for your pixel peeping pleasure.

My observation is that the K-r is not visibly better than the K-x at the same ISO. Feel free to look and comment.

Devin

Last edited by devorama; 10-28-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Fixed URL encoding
10-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting. The K-r seems to have perhaps just a little bit of an edge over the K-x in definition, but any difference is very very minor indeed. This is not an unexpected result.

Thanks for doing these tests.
10-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting, I expected something more out of the new sensor. It appears that the K-5 may best it: hopefully it will lay to rest the misnomer that pixel and high ISO performance are linked. Thanks for posting!

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-28-2010 at 08:30 AM.
10-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Very interesting, I expected something more out of the new sensor.!
K-R and K-X have the same sensor. K-5 have the new sensor
Should not see alot of improvement between K-X and K-R

10-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
K-R and K-X have the same sensor. K-5 have the new sensor
Should not see alot of improvement between K-X and K-R
It was touted quite a bit that the K-r had a new and improved 12 MP sensor over the K-x sensor.
10-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I am not that surprised regarding high ISO performance. However, I remember looking at pics when K-x was released and IMO too many of them seemed to lack detail/sharpness. Judging from the K-r pics I have seen so far they appear much more detailed and sharper.

It's most likely a coincidence or just my imagination, but is it possible that Pentax has tweaked LOW iso performance ?
10-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, look at the comparison shots at low ISO as well. On some, it actually looked like the K-x had a smidgen more detail/contrast, although the viewing angle on this monitor is atrocious.

10-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

No real difference IMO. But if the same sensor (but this is not my view), then not unexpected result. But thanks for posting good image test.

As a K200 user, I am still blown away by the high ISO performance of these models. I did a short offroad trip recently together with someone who had a Nikon D90, and was stunned by the impressive performance of some of his photos at ISO1600. Did my homework, and D90 had the same cmos sensor as Kx...

Last edited by KevinR; 10-28-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Not sure of Kr same sensor as Kx, but rather referred to D90
10-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks! I've posted earlier about this, and I finally have samples to look at!

Honestly, there doesn't appear to be any significant difference.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 10-28-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added details
10-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Did my homework, and it seems to be the same cmos sensor as Kx...
Every discussion and announcement I have seen has stated it's a new sensor. Where did you find out otherwise?
10-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Every discussion and announcement I have seen has stated it's a new sensor. Where did you find out otherwise?
Sorry for confusion in my sentence, but I was referring to D90 having same Sony sensor as Kx (although seems Kx has slightly later version).
10-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I dont think its a "brand new" sensor, its new in that it is an upgraded maybe retooled version of the k-x sensor, making it technically new, but not from the ground up. Kinda like a slightly upgraded car model from year to year
10-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I dont think its a "brand new" sensor, its new in that it is an upgraded maybe retooled version of the k-x sensor, making it technically new, but not from the ground up. Kinda like a slightly upgraded car model from year to year
From the press release:
QuoteQuote:
The K-r incorporates a new-generation CMOS image sensor with approximately 12.4 effective megapixels.
Take from it what you will, all I am saying is that the differences are underwhelming when looking at the above statement.
10-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter

From the press release:

Take from it what you will, all I am saying is that the differences are underwhelming when looking at the above statement.
new generation doesnt mean new from the ground up, I dont think there was any confusion that this was just an updated k-x sensor
in the same press release they refer to it as having "an improved 12.4 megapixel low-noise sensor"
10-28-2010, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

In my experience, new generation typically means more than a refreshed version of the same model from year to year. Your cars analogy favors my wording. Not new from the ground up (I did not mean that when I said new sensor), but not as minimal of a year-to-year car upgrade.

Semantics aside, even a retooled model would be expected to display some differences.