Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #1

my K-r AF test

Hi guys,
I got my new K-r for 2 weeks, everything is fine but with af under tungsten light.
I have tried "Moire' Interference Patterns" @ Using Moire' Interference Patterns to Test DSLR Auto Focus, af is fine under normal light, but I found some BF/FF situation under tungsten light.

Here are some test images done last night. Handheld with FA31 ltd.

1. the test setup

6. tried with no af adjust again, still bf/ff

did i get a defect K-r?

11-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #2

Original Poster
btw, I also tried with K-m, which in general did better result than K-r.
But setting K-r with tungsten wb and af adjust -5 looks more precisely.

Wish it can be fixed by new firmware.
11-19-2010, 05:06 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same problem with my Kr (see my post in this forum). I can't trust the AF in tungsten light.
11-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Isnt BF/FF under one sort of artificial light or another depending on camera, an issue for most cameras? Be it Tungsten or fluorescent.

I also noticed the issue with my K-r under tungsten but it was worse depending on which lens I used.

Also it seems in your test that the Tungsten white balance setting results in better focusing under Tungsten than AWB.

11-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
yes, tungsten wb setting results better. but even K-m AWB works better.

I think the af should be more consistent! especially when shooting under more complicated light sources, like wedding, stage performance...

Last edited by cloud016; 11-19-2010 at 07:36 PM.
11-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
elg
Forum Member

Did anybody try to put color correction filter (tungsten->daylight. The real one, not a digital effect, as the filter correction must 'be seen' by the autofocus sensors) and then see what happens? If focus depends on color temperature, then maybe this could be a workaround?

Cheers,
elg (Erika)
11-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cloud016 Quote
yes, tungsten wb setting results better. but even K-m AWB works better.
Did you notice the menu item where you can choose the strenght of the WB adjustment under tungsten? I see a clear difference between the two options in AWB but don't know if it has an impact on af.

11-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
Did you notice the menu item where you can choose the strenght of the WB adjustment under tungsten? I see a clear difference between the two options in AWB but don't know if it has an impact on af.
I tried. no better for autofocus.
11-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Forum Member

Last night (after reading this and a few other threads) I did a quick poor-man's test on an empty paper baguette bag with writing down the side at a 45 degree angle. Focused on a period in the middle and with AWB, it was front-focused by 3-4 letters (just under an inch?) and set to tungsten it was front-focused by 1-2 letters. Using the DA* 16-50 lens.

Almost makes me want to get a K-5. :P (But at double the price for the body... not now.)
11-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter

af adjust, fixed, its easy enough to turn on/off and to adjust. we'd all love it to be perfect, but at least there is an option to deal with it