Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VF data line Kx vs Kr...

I recently returned a K-x/18-55 to B&H because although I liked everything about the camera, I couldn't see the data line in the VF when out in bright sunlight. Since the data line is transmissive and not reflective, lens and aperture changes didn't help. However, I'm now member of the Forum that the K-r is better. Anybody have experience with both the K-x and K-r to confirm this? Nobody in town has both in stock, so I can't do a comparison myself. Thanks for any input,
Brian

01-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I recently returned a K-x/18-55 to B&H because although I liked everything about the camera, I couldn't see the data line in the VF when out in bright sunlight. Since the data line is transmissive and not reflective, lens and aperture changes didn't help. However, I'm now member of the Forum that the K-r is better. Anybody have experience with both the K-x and K-r to confirm this? Nobody in town has both in stock, so I can't do a comparison myself. Thanks for any input,
Brian
You're talking about the green line of data in the viewfinder? I am pretty sure they are similar (if not the same). I've owned both cameras, not at the same time, but didn't seem different to me.
01-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmm. Maybe it's just me. But I do use mostly fast primes.
01-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #4

I recently returned a K-x/18-55 to B&H because although I liked everything about the camera, I couldn't see the data line in the VF when out in bright sunlight. Since the data line is transmissive and not reflective, lens and aperture changes didn't help.
I have not the slightest clue what you are trying to say with "transmissive and not reflective". Viewfinder info is based on LED system which is placed outside the image frame on a black background. LED stands for light emitting diode. Nothing transmissive here. And what would be reflective?!? :ugh:

The camera even adopts to the scene contrast. That means in bright scenes the viewfider info LED will glow more bright. If the scene contrast is low and image is dark the VF LED will dimm down and light a bit lower. This is not something K-x or K-r specific, it is standard across the brands.

Lens change has no effect on this, because the VF system is fixed inside the camera. Changing aperture and expecting this will have an effect on how the viewfinder info will be displayed is just plain stupid. Sorry.

QuoteQuote:
However, I'm now member of the Forum that the K-r is better. Anybody have experience with both the K-x and K-r to confirm this? Nobody in town has both in stock, so I can't do a comparison myself. Thanks for any input,
Brian
I have both and the VF LED system is exactly the same in them. Still don't understand what was your problem. You couldn't see the info because it was to dim or you coudn't see it because the info was too small? Are you wearing glasses? I do wear them and have no problem with the VF info display.

cheers,
d

01-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a k200d and it can be hard to see the VF in bright sunlight. Not lens dependent though. I don't think any camera is really going to be much different...
01-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
dragra, perhaps I misunderstood the info I got, but as I understood the poster (on another forum) the data line had no connection to the light being reflected using the mirror and instead was transmitted directly (LED). And that meant the settings and lens had nothing to do with the brightness of the VF data line. Maybe it's a terminology problem or I stated it poorly. However, I don't agree (and there seems to be consensus here and on other forums) that a "brighter scene" provides a brighter VF data line, in fact it's just the opposite; using the VF in bright sunlight causes the data line to be less visible.

And by the way, I may be ignorant of many things, but few think I'm "stupid." I resent that term and it's use is inappropriate for this or any other forum and expect that you will withdraw it,
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 01-12-2011 at 10:51 PM.
01-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hawk1500, it would be my guess the Kx/Kr data lines would be the same, but I had hopes. But my experience with a K100D and K20 I've owned was that neither had the problem; and I tested this at a local outlet that let me take a Nikon D3000 and Canon 500 outside with their kit lenses, they also did not have the problem. It was either unique to the Kx I had, or perhaps a "problem" for the model that most are okay dealing with. Thanks for the feedback,
Brian

01-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #8

dragra, perhaps I misunderstood the info I got, but as I understood the poster (on another forum) the data line had no connection to the light being reflected using the mirror and instead was transmitted directly (LED). And that meant the settings and lens had nothing to do with the brightness of the VF data line. Maybe it's a terminology problem or I stated it poorly. However, I don't agree (and there seems to be consensus here and on other forums) that a "brighter scene" provides a brighter VF data line, in fact it's just the opposite; using the VF in bright sunlight causes the data line to be less visible.
You may agree with that or not, I don't care. These are the facts: camera does change the brightness of the LCD info according to the overall lightness. Try it. If you can't see it you might have a problem with your eyes.

QuoteQuote:
And by the way, I may be ignorant of many things, but few think I'm "stupid." I resent that term and it's use is inappropriate for this or any other forum and expect that you will withdraw it,
Brian
I don't want to argue with you. Your intro post didn't look intelligent at all.
01-13-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
dragra, you may not want to argue with me, but you've got an argument. I'm assuming you don't understand the difference between stupid and ignorant, and that confusion explains the unwarranted hostility ... poprium humani ingenii est odisse quem laeseris.

You best look it up, and give it some thought,
Brian
01-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #10

dragra, you may not want to argue with me, but you've got an argument. I'm assuming you don't understand the difference between stupid and ignorant, and that confusion explains the unwarranted hostility ... poprium humani ingenii est odisse quem laeseris.

You best look it up, and give it some thought,
Brian
Only thing I see is: you wrote something that doesn't make sense at all. I tried to explain to you, as far as a can. You ignored the explanation. In the next step you ignore the obvious facts of the camera behaviour. Now you are not interested in the problem solving anymore and are playing insulted. I can't help you here.
01-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
You may agree with that or not, I don't care. These are the facts: camera does change the brightness of the LCD info according to the overall lightness. Try it. If you can't see it you might have a problem with your eyes.

I don't want to argue with you. Your intro post didn't look intelligent at all.
What's your problem? Sometimes you can be helpful, but sometimes you're overly condescending.
01-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
What's your problem? Sometimes you can be helpful, but sometimes you're overly condescending.
How can you be helpful to someone who expects that visibility of viewfinder data is going to improve by changing the lens aperture?

Nevermind, next time I'll just ignore that kind of post.
01-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
bsamcash, thanks for a reasonable response to dragra, but don't get sideways to a tough dude like him on my account. Just look at the scowl on that rough hombre avatar and the tough guy sunglasses. I am, for one really intimidated, and apologize for the Latin and anything I might have posted that could have , in any way, offend his finely honed sensibilities.
Brian
01-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Have to agree in this case.
01-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I have a k200d and it can be hard to see the VF in bright sunlight. Not lens dependent though. I don't think any camera is really going to be much different...
This is what I have experienced on my K-r, too. I didn't find it surprising. Midday sun can overwhelm almost anything.