Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Does your sensor make a grinding noise?

When you have the k-r in either movie mode or live view and you put your ear up to it does it make a grinding noise? Is that normal? Even with the image stabilizer off it makes that noise.

My father owns a 50D and when he has his on live view his camera is completely silent.

Please let me know if this is normal.

03-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, that is the shake reduction, something the 50d doesn't have. The clunk means its working. It is more pronounced in liveview and during video because it is constantly working. When you are shooting through the viewfinder, it will only turn on when the shutter is half pressed, and since that camera position is more stabilized than holding it away from your body, you have less shake, therefore it doesn't move as much/make as much noise.
03-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's right, and don't be surprised that this noise is also detectable in your recordings - just something you'd have to live with as a side effect of having the excellent feature of SR.
03-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh ok. So the constant grinding noise (not the clunk when you rotate the camera - this is a constant sound) is simply the camera holding the sensor in place - even though the sr is off?

Thanks for letting me know. I knew the "clunk" was normal, but couldn't find anything out about the constant sound the camera was making...

03-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Are you talking of the noise like when in bulb mode?
03-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think you are correct. Even when the SR is turned off, it is still working to keep the sensor in one spot, if I recall I've occasionally heard something like a whirring sound, aside from the occasional clunks, from my Kx as well.
03-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, this is normal. I have also noticed this sound in my Fujifilm FinePix S1800, which also has sensor-shift image stabilization.

--DragonLord

03-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grind or rattle?

QuoteOriginally posted by Gilzuma Quote
When you have the k-r in either movie mode or live view and you put your ear up to it does it make a grinding noise? Is that normal? Even with the image stabilizer off it makes that noise.

My father owns a 50D and when he has his on live view his camera is completely silent.

Please let me know if this is normal.
If you hold the camera up to your ear you will hear a noise like a small clock motor running. Larger noises like a quick rattling is a problem I think.

I may have been cursed to never have a K-r. The first one I got went back with E-dial problems. I never noticed any rattles or much unusual noise. The retailer I bought it from agreed to replace the camera. The second K-r I got has a noticeable rattle since the first time I took it in my hand. Despite that it seemed to shoot ok. Then I tried it in live view and it made much more noise than I ever heard from the first one. The "live view rattle" is higher pitched and goes away when SR is off. Something is wrong with camera #2 and it's going back as well. Some noise may be normal, but a lot of noise is not. Does your camera rattle while turned off with or without the lens on like mine is? This is a sound much like the noise when the "Dust Removal" goes through a cycle. A 'Chuck' sound when you move the camera while the display is facing downward? That and excessive SR noise may be related I am thinking.
03-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

woops sorry didnt read post properly - useless info - deleted

Last edited by Verglace; 03-29-2011 at 06:08 PM.
03-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This happens frequently on all Pentax cameras with sensor-shift, including my K-7 from time to time. My theory is that a grain of sand gets stuck on the sensor platter and grinds when the sensor twitches around.

My camera's noise goes away after a while, and comes back every now and then. As far as I can tell, it's never effected SR effectiveness.