Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Kr my rrrrrrs

Hi folks
my Kr has beem back twice E-dial and poor ff. In bright light with the standard lense it's not bad. low light unless the subject is stationary above 800 iso then it is rubish. any of the canon compacts seem to knock spots off it. Using my old m zoom 1;45 8mm-200mm in reasonable light has been fun with some good results however my P30 and my Spotmatic 500 give far better results. I thought that the Kr on full auto just point and press mode would give very good snap style photos well it doesn't and I will not recomend this camera at all.

09-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you try going to ISO 1600, 3200? Because the noise in the camera at 1600 and 3200 should still be far better than any compact camera's ISO 800.
09-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What problem are you actually having? Do you have any images you can post that display the problem?
09-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by foggyday Quote
Hi folks
I thought that the Kr on full auto just point and press mode would give very good snap style photos well it doesn't and I will not recomend this camera at all.
Auto mode wont result in the best photos even the manual says the same.

In low light you should set auto ISO up to 1600 or 3200 and use a lower aperture for best results.

I have a K-r and it is an excellent camera and works very well in low light. Although there is an issue with Tungsten

09-14-2011, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foggyday Quote
my Kr has beem back twice E-dial and poor ff. In bright light with the standard lense it's not bad. low light unless the subject is stationary above 800 iso then it is rubish. any of the canon compacts seem to knock spots off it. Using my old m zoom 1;45 8mm-200mm in reasonable light has been fun with some good results however my P30 and my Spotmatic 500 give far better results. I thought that the Kr on full auto just point and press mode would give very good snap style photos well it doesn't and I will not recomend this camera at all.
The e-dial is easily fixed with contact cleaner, as you know if you read the thread about it that you just posted in. It's not a parts issue, as you asserted, but a case of a bit too much lubricant on the dial of some cameras (quite a few, but it's still a minor issue).

I doubt you even have the tungsten issue. The rest of your post here shows you just don't know how to balance your exposure, nor do you want to. You want a point and shoot, literally - you say as much, and that's OK, but don't blame your camera. If you aren't going to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then your shots will suffer. That is true of any camera, but particularly DSLRs.

Here are a couple links to help you understand exposure, which will also help you mitigate camera shake, which sounds like your problem.

Exposure Basics: Correctly Expose Your Photographs - photo.net
Photographic: Exposure Basics II

Here is an excellent book on the subject:

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books

And here are some tips on posture to reduce camera shake:

How to Reduce Camera Shake – 6 Techniques

Lastly, keep in mind that auto-mode is Not the best way to go. It tends to shoot wide open, at least on mine, and also tends to use a higher ISO than necessary (to my taste) if allowed to use a range. It's also not a mind reader. You know what you want to shoot when you raise your camera, but it just scans the scene and applies what Pentax's software developers thought would be the best catch-all settings for the light levels entering the camera. Learn about using Av mode next, which still automates your shutter speed, ISO (if you let it), and metering, but lets you control the aperture and resulting depth of field.
09-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #6

The Canon camera SHOULD focus better in low light. I don't understand all the details myself but this is because SLR cameras reflect light up to the viewfinder which makes less light available to the focussing mechanism.
09-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stills999 Quote
SLR cameras reflect light up to the viewfinder which makes less light available to the focussing mechanism.
No they don't. The mirror that projects the image to your viewfinder lifts when taking the shot, exposing the shutter and sensor to the light path. No light is lost this way, but it does account for the momentary flicker of darkness in your viewfinder while the shot is actually being taken.

09-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Return it, or sell it. Get yourself a cheap point and shoot, or a box full of disposable cameras. You'll be much happier, apparently.
09-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree - return it or sell it. Your posting history ("a wedding reception the disposable camera prints were better than the Kr") shows you have a vested interest in putting down the k-r. We're not shutting up or putting up with someone who claims to have 40 years of photography published works (and yet has such a difficult time spelling) and could make a statement that a disposable camera prints are better than a k-r.
09-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I cannot help but feel that you are either a troll, ignorance or simply new to digital. There is a steep learning curve going from film to digital.
09-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Deimos the tungsten is real issue Pentax can not fix it that is why the disposable on that occasion gave better results.hope my spelling is ok as others seem to deem it important on this site.
09-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply but how does a camera fault have anything to do with the use of the camera . Please how does your Kr perform in low light.
09-15-2011, 02:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I call bull***t on your idea to buy a DSLR to use it as a P&S, too.

In the opening post your attitude is that of a person who is impatient and not willing to accept the fact that DSLRs are different than SLRs and that some of your problems are probably due to your inexperience with digital. There are issues with the camera, that's undeniable, but these can be fixed. Since you haven't asked for an advice but you decided to bash the camera immediately, you should have expected this kind of responses.

You are not the first to have problems when switching from film to digital, and this discussion comes to mind first
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/149367-my-kr-nightmare.html
Probably there are more, so search and read other people's experiences.

But, first and foremost, you need to accept the learning curve because DSLRs behave differently than SLRs. In digital there are many more options that you need to adjust in order to get what you want from the camera.

So tell what your gripe with the k-r is, first, are you images blurry, or just soft, or you're not happy with the WB, or with the level of noise/details? Or is it something else?

And post some pictures, for Pete's sake! If you do that, people might take you more seriously and may be willing to help.

All I have said above applies only if you are willing to take matters into your own hands! DSLRs won't think for you, they weren't designed with that thought in mind. They share this characteristics with SLRs, that's for sure... If you want the camera to think for you, P&S cameras are the way. They probably won't think very well (just like your k-r does not), but at least they'll do that for lot less $$.

Last thing, if you continue with your language, be sure that someone will report you to the admins (if that hasn't happened already)...

Last edited by 1marek; 09-15-2011 at 02:46 AM.
09-15-2011, 02:40 AM - 2 Likes   #14

Worst troll ever. Or, maybe, worst photographer ever. 40 years of photography, you say. Well, one should have learned one or two things about photography, and good manners, during all this time. 40 years... and you buy a DSLR to use it like a P&S ... man, you are a real GENIUS!!!
09-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #15

We seem to have established the problem. So what's the solution? Get rid of the camera and move on. Having recently purchased the K-r I am well happy with it and that's using the 18-55 kit lens. VERY challenging and that's half the fun. Low light? 1600 or more and results are pretty damn impressive. It's a bleedin' learning curve! Love it. Nuff said....
Addendum: "I thought that the Kr on full auto just point and press mode would give very good snap style photos well it doesn't and I will not recomend this camera at all."
Bonus! This means less people will buy it and not clog up the airwaves with guff because it's not a P&S...