Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Camera won't autofocus or take a picture with pop up flash

Hi guys. I bought my Pentax K-r camera 3 months ago, and i've been enjoying it since then, with no problems, but today (i only noticed it at christmas!!! ) i noticed that my camera won't autofocus and don't take the picture too with the pop up flash up.
If i close the flash, then the camera take the picture normally!
A couple of days ago (like 10 days i guess!), my friend took 3 photos with the pop up flash in a rapid succession...
What do yous guys think? It's broken?
Maybe it's time to buy an external flash, right? Already using this space, which external flash is the cheapest P-TTL one?
Thank you alot, and Happy Holidays!!!

12-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hate to hear you're having trouble. Have you checked the flash settings both through the flash button on the back and the main menus?
12-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you have C menu item 16 set to off this will disable shutter release while flash is charging with maybe a low battery

Hans
12-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like the flash or flash circuit has blown. This can happen.
It's a new camera under warranty so take it back.

An external flash is a lot better, but you will still want the camera to work fully as the internal flash can be used to wirelessly trigger the external flash.
Plus you won't always carry the external flash with you once you get it.

12-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Docrwm : Hate to hear you're having trouble. Have you checked the flash settings both through the flash button on the back and the main menus?

Yes, i checked everything tons of times , still nothing.

hnikesch : Do you have C menu item 16 set to off this will disable shutter release while flash is charging with maybe a low battery

Yes, i checked it. If i enable shutter release while flash is charging then the camera takes the picture, but without flash

calsan : Sounds like the flash or flash circuit has blown. This can happen.
It's a new camera under warranty so take it back.

Thank you all for the help

An external flash is a lot better, but you will still want the camera to work fully as the internal flash can be used to wirelessly trigger the external flash.
Plus you won't always carry the external flash with you once you get it.

Unfortunately, i can't take my camera to warranty because i'm from Brazil, and there is no warranty here
Soo unlucky! oh my..
Well, i guess it's time to spend some money on an external flash instead of buying a new lens...
Thank you all for the help

Last edited by GabrielFFontes; 12-25-2011 at 01:50 PM.
12-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi guys. I'm sorry to double post, but i'm already on the process of choosing my first external flash.
I am probably going to buy a Metz 24 AF-1, but i have a question :
Is it possible that the problem on the flash also messed up with the external flash hot-shoe?
Because if it's not likely, then i'll start to search for this flash.
Thank you all
12-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't think it's too likely that the hotshoe is damaged as well, but I don't think any of us could say for sure. Do you have a local camera shop that could do an off warranty repair? It might be worth getting a quote.

That's some really crappy luck you had, sorry to hear it. FWIW I don't think a few rapid shots with the flash would burn it out or damage it in any way, unless there was already a defect present. With mine the recharging time on the flash usually is self limiting. There was one thread about a guy who melted his K-7 flash, but he set it up on interval and took a LOT (in a misguided attempt to drain his battery). IIRC his still worked, it just had melted the casing around the flash tube.

12-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll search for that, but it's very unlikely that i'll find a place to do Pentax warranty here...
Anyway, i'm less sad right now. I'm just searching for an external flash, and its going to be even better.
Thank you all so much for the precious help...
12-26-2011, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Gallery
Pentax's Brazil service centers

Pentax UK lists three service centers in Brazil. They all seem to be in Sao Paulo. The site I found this listing is at
International Repairs - Central and South America - PENTAX Europe Imaging Systems

BRAZIL AP - Optical Brasil Ltda. Rua Dr. Renato Paes de Barros, 714 - Conj 103, Itaim Bibi - CEP 04530- 001, Sao Paulo +55-11-3071-3548

BMA COMERCIAL LTDA. Av. General Valdomiro de Lima, 896 Jabaquara - Sao Paulo - CEP.04344-070 +55 11 5011-0076

Central Repair Shop Rua 7 de Abril, 261 - 9° Andar - Sala 909 -Centro, CEP. 01043-000, Sao Paulo +55 11 3159-8850
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys alot!
I just noticed something today. If i pop up the flash, it still wont autofocus or take the picture, but the battery appears as fully charged. If i close it, it shows the actual battery status.
Do you guys know what this mean?
Also, i bought an AF280T, just waiting for it to be shipped...i hope it works normally...
01-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #11

Did you try resetting the camera defaults? I found two resets: "Reset Custom Functions" in the Setting menu, and "Reset" in the Setup menu.

I would also try downloading and re-installing the firmware.
01-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, i reseted the camera. No effect !
Updating my firmware is dangerous or something? Because i have no warranty here, so if something goes wrong, i'll be without my camera for a looooooooong time... For example, once my iphone died during firmware update, and it was easy to make it come back to life, but once my nokia died during the update, and i had to download like 10 programs to resuscitate it !
Thank you

Last edited by GabrielFFontes; 01-02-2012 at 03:09 PM.
01-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

As long as your battery is fully charged, and you follow the instructions exactly, it's pretty safe. There is a non-zero chance of something going wrong, but the same is true every time you pick up your camera (you could drop it). It takes a few minutes to complete. Never EVER get impatient and turn it off because you think it froze, or something like that.

I take it you haven't had any luck finding someone local to repair the flash eh? The issue with the battery level when the flash is activated is strange, I'm wondering if there's a short somewhere.
01-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like a short in the flash circuitry to me also. My practically new k10d had a flash failure after about a dozen flash shots (in 2006) and shorted out the main circuit board. They replaced the body, so I guess you are lucky everything else works and a separate flash is so much better anyway.
01-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi guys. You won't believe it : my AF280T arrived, defective!
It arrived 30 minutes ago, but i tried more than 10 different batteries, and it won't turn on. What do you guys think? Is there anything i should try? PS : I'm putting the batteries the right way :P

UPDATE
I made it work. I cleaned the battery contacts, put 1.5v batteries instead of rechargeable, turned it on and left it there for a couple of time. Then i heard a high pitch noise and it turned on.

Last edited by GabrielFFontes; 01-28-2012 at 02:51 PM.