Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #1

k-r mirror flop - more detective work

HI all

I posted a while back about weird mirror flops on the k-r. It was sent off and "repaired" but still exhibited mirror flops but only on particular lenses.
It didn't seem to be anything to do with battery or battery charge level (there are threads for the K5 on this).

As an experiment I tried putting the mount from some of the "difficult" lenses onto the camera without the lens. This triggered the weird flop, or the mirror not returning to its proper position during its cycle.
So it couldn't be anything to do with the lens itself.

I also discovered that if I tape over the contact pins - no flop.

So, it looks like some kind of short circuiting.

Any ideas for a fix (other than sending it back again and being without camera for 6 weeks)?

06-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #2

ask for new camera?
06-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a mirror flop (mine cycled really quickly like as if it was in super high fps mode) on the K-r when I first got it and it only happened when I put on a particular lens. I then compared the lens that caused the mirror flop to those that did not cause the flop. Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary except that the affected lens had it's aperture lever bent slightly more inward then the other lenses. It was about 1-2mm off of "normal" so I gently pushed it outwards and reattached the lens. It worked fine ever since. No more flopping on my k-r. I am not sure about your camera, but in my case I think the aperture lever on the lens was not able to correctly connect to the camera's aperture "actuator." Good luck and I hope the problem is solved soon! The K-r is an amazing photography tool!

P.s. In my case I could have asked for 50 new camera's and they probably would have all been sent back... So have a look at your aperture lever and see how "straight" it is. I think I pushed mine about .5-1mm more than "normal."

Last edited by theperception2008; 06-27-2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: added post script.
06-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. I had seen this explanation before (might have been you yourself). At first I thought it might be something to do with the aperture lever, which is why I tested it with no lens (and thus no aperture lever) but just the metal K mount. The k mount on its own produces the flop, and covering the contacts in tape stops it.

06-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/189224-mirror-flop...revisited.html.

--DragonLord
07-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I had the same problem with my new K-r. You must clean the contacts on the lens and camera. There is a youtube video on how to clean your lens contacts. Cured my problem.