Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
WR and AW lenses: a difference you may not even know existed
Posted By: bwDraco, 07-14-2012, 11:55 AM

TL;DR: Both WR and AW indicate weather resistance, but AW indicates a higher level of environmental sealing than WR.

What is the difference between WR and AW?
  • What is the difference between DA WR and DA* lenses in terms of weather sealing?
  • Why are the D FA 645 55mm and DA 645 25mm lenses designated as AW?
WR and AW both designate weather-sealed lenses. Non-star lenses that are designated WR use a "simplified weather-resistant construction" to protect against ingress of water. DA* lenses, although not indicated as such in the lens name, are considered AW (newer boxes for DA* lenses are often marked as such) and are "dust-proof and water-resistant because each part is individually sealed" (page 7 of the DA lens manual), offering a higher level of protection against environmental conditions than the WR designation indicates. The above 645 lenses are marketed as fully sealed against dust and water, at the same level as DA* lenses.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 12-04-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Views: 11,479
07-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great to know! Thanks DragonLord.
02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

Thanks

Thanks for the info
07-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #4

I recently purchased a K-30. The camera itself is consider WR.

If I placed a non-WR/AW lens on the body, will the body still be fully weather sealed?

07-17-2013, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oxnard111 Quote
I recently purchased a K-30. The camera itself is consider WR.

If I placed a non-WR/AW lens on the body, will the body still be fully weather sealed?
No, you need a weather sealed lens too, as it's got a washer that goes around the lens mount.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: